Counting down to the back-to-back Ashes series in 2013/14

Read the more in depth thoughts of our posters on various cricketing issues, topics and events - and please take the opportunity to leave feedback and enter into debate.

Re: Counting down to the back-to-back Ashes series in 2013/14

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed May 02, 2012 12:16 pm

Why has KP returned?
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Aidan11 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:17 pm

Presume to prepare for the WIs test series.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed May 02, 2012 12:20 pm

That's fair enough.

Difficult to think that the 'summers tests' start soon with all this wind and rain.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed May 02, 2012 12:42 pm

Might play for Surrey!
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby shankycricket » Wed May 02, 2012 1:28 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Might play for Surrey!

Yeah he said he is playing against Worcester on the 9th.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:09 pm

OK, so it will be Captain Cook leading the charge against Australia. With KP on the sidelines, this next Ashes series can't come around soon enough! :twisted:
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby shankycricket » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:42 pm

Remember having an argument with you FTS over whose place, out of Cook and KP, is more secure. Well, ironically, neither are going to be around.

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:07 pm

shankybiggestengfan wrote:Remember having an argument with you FTS over whose place, out of Cook and KP, is more secure. Well, ironically, neither are going to be around.

Cook will be a goner after the 3rd Test in the Ashes series. He'll be making the teary resignation I was hoping from Strauss!
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby shankycricket » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:08 pm

from_the_stands wrote:
shankybiggestengfan wrote:Remember having an argument with you FTS over whose place, out of Cook and KP, is more secure. Well, ironically, neither are going to be around.

Cook will be a goner after the 3rd Test in the Ashes series. He'll be making the teary resignation I was hoping from Strauss!

And then you will wake up. ;)

shankycricket

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:11 pm

shankybiggestengfan wrote:
from_the_stands wrote:

And then you will wake up. ;)

With the time difference, I probably will! The headline on the Herald Sun will read; Cook gets Fried by Aussies!

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:15 pm

The Dukes ball may be used towards the latter part of the season in some Sheffield Shield fixtures as part of the preparation for next year's Ashes series in England.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/587871.html

An interesting move, which shows just how desperate we are to win back the Ashes, since we haven't done such a thing with any other brand of ball as far as I'm aware.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:24 pm

England have won three of the last four series, but are only level in Tests won in that time. Seems England never claw back Australia's historical advantage.

Sounds like CA are thinking of switching to the Dukes even in Aussie cricket.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:54 pm

from_the_stands wrote:The Dukes ball may be used towards the latter part of the season in some Sheffield Shield fixtures as part of the preparation for next year's Ashes series in England.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/587871.html

An interesting move, which shows just how desperate we are to win back the Ashes, since we haven't done such a thing with any other brand of ball as far as I'm aware.

Can't see how playing with a Dukes ball in Australian conditions would be of real benefit, maybe from a bowling point of view in handling a nautrally swinging ball.

Sheffield Shield season might as well get extended into May and play a set of matches in England.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:56 am

Is Warner going to score runs against the red ball in England next year? if he doesn't, will Cowan and Ponting? And if they don't, will that put too much pressure on Watson, Clarke and Hussey?

Will Cummins be fit? Will Siddle adapt to English pitches? Will Lyon do well against batters who have a good record at home against spinners? How will the new fast bowlers handle the pressure?

If Australia don't do well in England, will that have a knock on effect for the series in Australia that follows? If Ponting and Hussey don't survive the tour, will that mean that Australia will be experimenting when they host?

Plenty of time yet. But a few of these questions might be more nearly answered over the coming Australian summer.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:12 pm

I expect one of Warner or Cowen not to see out the Australian summer, willing to be proved wrong on that but with Cozzie, Hughes and indeed Finch putting on the runs we might be getting back to a stage where there is actually pressure on places again.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

PreviousNext

Return to Cricketing Blogs