Counting down to the back-to-back Ashes series in 2013/14

Read the more in depth thoughts of our posters on various cricketing issues, topics and events - and please take the opportunity to leave feedback and enter into debate.

Re: Counting down to the back-to-back Ashes series in 2013/1

Postby sussexpob » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:16 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:I just noticed that Smith's innings at Edgbaston 2008 was included in a new book on the greatest 100 Test innings, Sussex. Maybe someone is doing a worse job somewhere than your builders.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/o ... f-all-time

If it was a list of 100 greatest innings of luck, then Smith may dominate much of the top ten, with his effort at Edgbaston in 2008 somewhere near the top.

Its an incredible assessment of that innings, and one that ignores most of the reality of his performance that day... ie, had he been given out the 3 times he should of, South Africa would probably have lost, and he wouldnt have made 50.

Panesar trapped him in front when the umpire gave him not out because the ball did turn way outside off(hawkeye had it hitting)... he then edged to Ambrose off Flintoff but the umpire adjudged the bat to have hit the ground, he then didnt walk when he clearly gloved to Ambrose off Panesar, which was incidentally followed up one ball later with Strauss dropping him at midwicket.....

One of his less fortune efforts because none of those occured before he had made 10.... although Anderson had him looking like a schoolboy sucking his thumb for much of the new ball period
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:49 pm

At least it backs me up having it in the best ten innings against England this century. Which is less auspicious than one of the 100 best ever. I did acknowledge that he had some luck. Nice piece though.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby GarlicJam » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:22 am

Can't remember who, might have been Arthur, was asking the other day if Warner has burnt his bridges with the national selectors. I don't think he has, but we are sure to find out soon - he has just hit his third century out of 4 trips to the crease in the one day (domestic) comp. This time it was a lazy 197, as he helps get NSW into the final of the comp.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby sussexpob » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:05 pm

GarlicJam wrote:Can't remember who, might have been Arthur, was asking the other day if Warner has burnt his bridges with the national selectors. I don't think he has, but we are sure to find out soon - he has just hit his third century out of 4 trips to the crease in the one day (domestic) comp. This time it was a lazy 197, as he helps get NSW into the final of the comp.

To a certain extent I thought Warner undersold himself in the last Ashes series. He is, and always will be, a banger.... he tried to play proper innings in England and had his lack of technique tested. If he wants to be successful, he should stay true to his hitting ability... because when he gets going, he is a massive handful.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby alfie » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:59 pm

It seems Warner may well have played himself into the team with his three centuries in the fifty over competition. The last of them was from all accounts fairly spectacular, albeit on a ground not much bigger than a car park...Myself yet to be convinced : I think they'll pick him , and he may well play an innings of note at some point in the series ; but I am still not sure he will be consistently successful as an opener with his style. Perhaps better than Hughes though...

Pointing apparently wants Hughes as well : in other words the same batting lineup that just lost 0-3 in England , give or take the odd shuffle...what was that about doing the same thing and expecting a different result ?
alfie

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:45 pm

Left arm pace bowler Tymal Mills is going out to Australia this week to replicate Mitch Johnson in the nets.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:01 pm

Having a decent chat with my neighbour (spent the last couple of days with him, building a fence), this morning, and we were discussing what I suppose is the same article, Alfie. He said that there were no positive comments about ANY of the England players.

Geez, you guys must have been lucky to win the last series.

and the one before that.

and the one before that.

Lucky, I say
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby alfie » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:50 pm

Rather confident article by Malcolm Conn in the weekend paper here , billed as "looking at the English squad".

Conn is generally bullish about Australia's chances so I should not be surprised that he asserts that England have " an inferiority complex that Australia can exploit ...if their batsmen can score runs" He feels that when put under pressure England "played like church mice...uninspiring ...dour mental state" etc etc...

Apparently he is pretty happy with the the more settled look of the Australian batting order and the promise of an attack of Harris Siddle and Johnson...hasn't offered a series prediction but hints it is looking good for Australia.

Well fair enough : nothing wrong with confidence I suppose ; and I would never rule Australia out at home. But some of the individual assessments of England players amuse me a little. Trott has been"exposed by the short ball and will have an even worse time on hard Australian pitches . Bowling at him muddles his mind" (??).
He didn't look too muddled to me in 2010/11 ...
Anderson will apparently find Australia tougher because there is less reverse swing...Broad lacks stamina and if seen off early batsmen can cash in...Tremlett mentally fragile...

I have often wondered if Malcolm and I occupy quite the same universe :)

As I say , I would not rule out Australia at home ; and in fairness Conn is probably just highlighting potential weaknesses which might be exploited...but I can't help but wonder what sort of article he would have written if Australia wasn't going into the series on the back of two draws and seven losses in their last two tours...
alfie

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:54 pm

Its easy to point out the weaknesses of the opposition, but that completely ignores the flaws in your own side. England are in decline, but to date, Australia's has been steeper. Even so, Australia haven't struggled at home yet. No one knows what will happen of course- and how Johnson reemerges in Tests (if selected) is complete conjecture. To me the logical prediction is to make England slight favourites. As an England supporter, I hope the Aussie team view their opposition as being as fallible as this article seems to.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Conn was on a cricket talking heads journalist programme a couple of time over the last series, and he seemed very reasonable, if intentionally forthright. He was scathing especially about the home pitch preparation, which I thought was a defendable viewpoint. He actually accepted that the Aussie team was in a bit of a mess.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:26 pm

His assessment on Swann seems the most optimistic.

If I was an Aussie fan, I wouldn't feel encouraged by Watson and Smith's hundreds at the Oval as much as he is. I don't think these runs negate the problems they had in the rest of our summer. For me, Australia's competitiveness in the last series was largely down to Ryan Harris' superb bowling. If he's injured, or can't replicate this, they Australia suddenly have a big new problem. Against that, Clarke can be expected to score more runs at home.

I guess it gives Australia a big boost to know they will almost certainly win one of the five Tests, at Perth. So they are probably 1-0 with four to play already. Unless it rains.

I can't add this as a new post as intended, because of the time jumping:

Cook>Rogers: Rogers didn't really have as good a series as seems to have been suggested in reviews. Or Cook as bad. Both only went past 50 three times. Cook disappointed against previously high standards, but Rogers was no more than encouraging.

Root=Warner: While both have plenty of potential, it is difficult to predict which will be most influential in the coming series. I'd guess Root, and believe he will be a Test success.

Trott>Watson: Both only went past 50 once in the summer. Watson's 418 runs in the series nearly gave him an =, but really those runs hardly hurt England. Trott has much more of a pedigree, and he batted like a millionaire in the last Ashes, before getting out rather profligately too often.

Clarke>Pietersen: Both will probably go down as national greats, but KP will struggle to match Clarke's record at home in this series. If he goes close, that will be a big boost for England's chances. Clarke, of course, may be unfit.

Bell>Smith: It would be wrong to write off Bell's poor two years under the influence of more recent events. But Bell excels under familiar circumstances (in my opinion) and Smith tends to float like a butterfly, and sting like one. Bell is very familiar with the Australians.

Bailey>Bairstow: Not much evidence to go one here... but Bailey looks to have the right stuff and Bairstow's technical problems resemble a whack-a-mole machine. To the armchair kneejerker, Bailey is shaping up to be a big potential player in the series, even before Ricky Ponting has handed him his cap.

Prior>Haddin: Haddin is a tough character and not to be underestimated, but Prior is a better keeper and batter, which pretty much sews up the comparison.

Swann>Lyon: I wouldn't be surprised if Lyon models himself on Swann, and he may even go on to do as well as the Englishman. But Swann has a lot of nouse right now, and he didn't seem inconvenienced by his elbow last summer. And he'll score some useful runs.

Finn=Johnson: Too much of a wildcard match up to judge. Maybe I should give this one to Mitch for the two fifties he'll score.

Siddle>Broad: Siddle is the most underrated pace bowler in Test cricket. It'll be interesting to see if he runs out of steam though, and Broad tends to improve as series go on. Broad will score two fifties.

Harris>Anderson: Anderson is England's best fast bowler, but Harris is the most dangerous on either side. If Australia are going to win, Harris has to get through the series. I think Jimmy peaked on the last our of Australia, when he was brilliant. He also does too much work in a four man attack.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby meninblue » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:40 pm

I have England as favorites to win the series as they have a better batting and bowling lineup.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby andy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:04 pm

I have a sneaky feeling Fawad Ahmed will get a go in the first test...i think they want him in the test side.
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:48 pm

Cant see the reasoning behind dropping Lyon on a bit of a punt.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:40 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Conn was on a cricket talking heads journalist programme a couple of time over the last series, and he seemed very reasonable, if intentionally forthright. He was scathing especially about the home pitch preparation, which I thought was a defendable viewpoint. He actually accepted that the Aussie team was in a bit of a mess.

pitching to his audience in both cases?
Maybe
GarlicJam

PreviousNext

Return to Cricketing Blogs