Should Sarfraz reliquinish the captaincy?

Cast Your Vote!

Who should be Pakistan's next test captain?

Azhar
25%
Shafiq
25%
Yasir
No votes
Other
50%

Total votes : 4

Should Sarfraz reliquinish the captaincy?

Postby andy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:44 pm

Pakistan since the Misbah days have been steadily declining particuarly in red ball cricket. They won Champions trophy in white ball ,but even since then they have declined in white ball too..... So should Sarfraz lose the captaincy? In tests at least? And if so, who do they replace him with? Go back to Azhar? Turn to Shafiq? Or maybe even Yasir Shah?
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Re: Should Sarfraz reliquinish the captaincy?

Postby andy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:49 pm

lol glad i put this up....
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

andy

West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:43 pm

At the start of 2018, if youd have said they take good results from Australia, Windies and England then I think they would have taken it. Ok, they have been outplayed largely in South Africa, and New Zealand they really should have competed well enough..... but its too early to tear it up at the moment.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:02 am

andy wrote:lol glad i put this up....

Couldn't answer the question!
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby meninblue » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:40 pm

After making racist comments in last ODI and then giving a very badly written apology, he is clearly not going to survive as long term captain. Should be sacked as Captain. But then PCB will wait for WC to get over to take that decision.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:47 pm

I cant really comment on the depth of the comments he made, as I dont speak whatever language he uttered them in (Urdu? No idea). The translation suggested around seem to vary, but if he has refereed to the colour of his skin then its not acceptable. He should be sacked from the captaincy if hes engaging in this behaviour, and maybe even banned if the remarks are properly translated and found to be racist.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby meninblue » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:18 pm

sussexpob wrote:I cant really comment on the depth of the comments he made, as I dont speak whatever language he uttered them in (Urdu? No idea). The translation suggested around seem to vary, but if he has refereed to the colour of his skin then its not acceptable. He should be sacked from the captaincy if hes engaging in this behaviour, and maybe even banned if the remarks are properly translated and found to be racist.

Kaala is Hindi word to say black color.
There is no way for him to hide as to what it meant. Further he said in apology that unluckily he got caught and that it was not directed at any player. Should have taken help before making an important apology statement to the world.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:31 pm

meninblue wrote:
sussexpob wrote:I cant really comment on the depth of the comments he made, as I dont speak whatever language he uttered them in (Urdu? No idea). The translation suggested around seem to vary, but if he has refereed to the colour of his skin then its not acceptable. He should be sacked from the captaincy if hes engaging in this behaviour, and maybe even banned if the remarks are properly translated and found to be racist.

Kaala is Hindi word to say black color

Do they speak Hindi in Pakistan, or is it just very similar to Urdu? I didnt think Hindi was spoken at all in Pakistan.

sussexpob

Postby meninblue » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:35 pm

sussexpob wrote:
meninblue wrote:

Do they speak Hindi in Pakistan, or is it just very similar to Urdu? I didnt think Hindi was spoken at all in Pakistan.

Lot of the words are similar in two languages. Very similar as I never faced difficulty in understanding any interviews given by Pak players. Even the different words are well understood by most Indians and Pakistanis who speak one of this language
meninblue

Postby andy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:45 pm

Has apologised and SA have accepted his apology, remains to be seen if PCB take any action though

andy

West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby sussexpob » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:00 pm

meninblue wrote:
sussexpob wrote:
meninblue wrote:

Lot of the words are similar in two languages. Very similar as I never faced difficulty in understanding any interviews given by Pak players. Even the different words are well understood by most Indians and Pakistanis who speak one of this language

What context was it given in? Is it to be considered racist?

sussexpob

Postby meninblue » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:08 pm

sussexpob wrote:
meninblue wrote:
sussexpob wrote:
meninblue wrote:

What context was it given in? Is it to be considered racist?

Comment:
"Abey kaale, teri ammi aaj kahaan baitheen hain? Kya parwa ke aaye hai aaj tu?"

Interpretation:
Hi Black (person), where is your mom seated today? What (prayers) have you told her to do?

or

Hi Black (person), where is your mom seated today? What have you asked your mother to pray for?

I hope, by those two sentence you will get the context.

Some commentator immediately asked. "What's he saying there, Rameez".
Rameez can be heard replying with some smile /laugh "Difficult really to translate that. It's a big long sentence".

The context i see is:
In the chase of just 203 runs, SA were in deep trouble at 80/5. Then Rassie and Andile were recovering the situation well for SA. Sarfaraz probably was frustrated due to unable to get break-through and then felt the need of sledge that Andile was batting well because he may have asked his mother to pray for him.

Sledge would have been fine if he had not used the word "Kaale".

The word "Kaale" is often used in India as well frequently in informal discussions or while calling friends. Some people are called as "Kaalu", "Kaale", "Kalya" between friends. Nobody takes objection withing friends or goes to court or gets into fight. Similarly fair complexion Indians are called "Gore","Gorya","Gora". Nobody takes objection.Having said that one does not says the word "Kaale" to someone who isn't in your friends circle though knowing the disputes it might create. Things are probably similar in Pakistan as well.

In some discussion people referring to stranger would say "
Person 1: Do you know who was the person who got the award.
Person 2: That person "ABC"
Person 1: I don't know who you are referrign to.
Person 2: That "Black" / "White" man who is fat /thin. Bald / Long hair

This is how the words "Kaala" and "Gora" gets used in general conversation too between known people. There is no bad intention but just to highlight the person. The problem happens when strangers talk things like that. Anyways, even thats not an excuse because it is a racist word and if someone complaints, the person using word is guilty irrespective of how things happen back home.

Here Sarfraz is a captain. He is representing country at a major televised match, being watched in huge population of Pakistan, SA, India and Bangladesh. He should be aware of what are racist words and those should not be used. Also, some SA cricketer called some Pakistani cricketer a "Dog". So Pakistani cricketers must be aware that racist words are bad even though some words will be used between friends circle in funny way. Now calling "Monkey" which is racist elsewhere is at times used within friends circle. But one should not use it to strangers or a place where it is racist. Harby though defended as he used word "Maaki" which is a word used when batsman plays and misses and keepers/bowler will say Maaki, Aaila , Aicha etc. "Maa" "Aai" etc are all referring to word "Mother". Maybe it can be taken as "Oh Mom" or something on that line. Aila and Aicha were regularly used by Sachin and Kumble. Harby probably had habit of saying "Maaki" as he is Punjabi and uses hindi more. Very common in India and it actually is not a racist word by any means. It is said in disappointment. But if word "Monkey" is used and someone complains about it is is indeed a racist comment then.

Is it to be considered racist?
As referring someone by complexion of skin is racist then it is indeed racist.

He cannot say, we talk at home like this between friends and so it's fine to do so with anyone in all situations.

His apology via tweet (not sure if it was he or someone who wrote tweet had passed it to him) was stupid too.

I wish to extend my sincere apologies to any person who may have taken offence from my expression of frustration which was unfortunately caught by the stump mic during yesterday's game against SA. My words were not directed towards anyone in particular and I certainly had no intention of upsetting anyone. I did not even mean for my words to be heard, understood or communicated to the opposing team or the cricket fans. I have in the past and will continue in future to appreciate the camaraderie of my fellow cricketers from across the globe and will always respect and honour them on and off the field.

It was stupid to mention unfortunately caught by the stump mic.
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:50 pm

Should Sarfraz relinquish the captaincy?
Yes

When ?
I think any team playing in WC, will not change captains at this point of time. Do feel that he will be dropped from team / replaced as captain post WC, unless and until Pakistan win it.

Who should be the replacement?
Babar Azam imo is the most likely candidate.
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:35 am

Sarfaraz Ahmed gets four-match suspension for breach of Anti-Racism Code.

Pakistan captain Sarfaraz Ahmed has been suspended for four matches after accepting that he was in breach of the ICC’s Anti-Racism Code for Participants following an incident that occurred during the second ODI against South Africa in Durban on Tuesday
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:43 am

Yesterdays loss against Team India in WC2019 has probably dealt the last blow to his survival as captain. This loss can only be covered by something as spectacular as winning this WC. Otherwise imo his sacking as captain is just a formality as they won't change captain mid way of a WC.
meninblue

Next

Return to Cricket Opinion Polls