DRS

Cast Your Vote!

DRS

Loves DRS, would like it how it is.
17%
likes DRS, But needs major improvements and changes
58%
middle ground, doesn't mind if DRS Goes, or if it is used in the game.
8%
DRS should never be used.
17%

Total votes : 12

DRS

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:25 pm

what your opinion on the controversial DRS System.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Re: DRS

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:31 pm

gonna do a nick knight and say middle ground, was a fan of DRS, but I am not too fussed if india are not using it, I am probably glad since I get angry very easily, I can take a poor umpiring decision, but taking a poor DRS decision is quite hard to take in.

Adam McGrath ?@AdamMcGrath89 6h
Common view from people tweeting me is they'd rather Khawaja be out with no DRS system, then he be out after DRS failure #Ashes

totally agree with this view, at least being an india fans, the poor DRS decision doesn't really affect us.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby rich1uk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:31 pm

you don't have the option in your poll for my preference

I like DRS and think it is important but the umpires need better training and better guidelines on how to use it, I don't think the technology itself is an issue, most of the controversial decisions recently have been due to either the 3rd umpire not following the current guidelines on how DRS is intended to be used or just making confusing decisions

and I have been saying that for a couple of years not just as a result of what happened today

its unrealistic to expect it to be scrapped altogether but its use, the technology and its application by the umpires needs to be much more consistent
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:37 pm

rich1uk wrote:you don't have the option in your poll for my preference

I like DRS and think it is important but the umpires need better training and better guidelines on how to use it, I don't think the technology itself is an issue, most of the controversial decisions recently have been due to either the 3rd umpire not following the current guidelines on how DRS is intended to be used or just making confusing decisions

and I have been saying that for a couple of years not just as a result of what happened today

its unrealistic to expect it to be scrapped altogether but its use, the technology and its application by the umpires needs to be much more consistent

if the mods could add the option then that would be great, but I actually assumed the 2nd option would cover that option, since I did mention improvements and changes.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby rich1uk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:01 pm

I just think there should be a distinction between changes and/or improvements to the technology and changes to the guidelines for how the technology is applied and the umpires use of the technology that was all

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:20 pm

I didn't want DRS because it encourages dissent. And it does.

But now we have it, I can't go back to having more wrong decisions.

Some problems with the third umpires role can easily be ironed out. The big irritation for me is that most people watching, especially the commentators, want it to do different things. Either one watcher thinks it is supposed to do something different from what another watcher expects it to do. Or a person wants it to do different things at different times.

Consequently the games get bogged down in DRS. And this isn't getting any better.

I really like how it is set up now. But I like the idea of one referral each, which isn't lost by an umpires call. But people have to stop getting so worked up by DRS. I think the reaction to DRS is more of an issue than DRS, which is a reasonable system. Or can be.

And the ICC has to enforce codes of conduct regarding dissent.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby rich1uk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:37 pm

as I said in the match thread AC the umpires don't agree with you about dissent

when simon taufel gave his spirit of cricket talk last week he said clearly that he thought DRS had reduced dissent

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:44 pm

Yes I saw that, and I've heard the umpires say it. Obviously they are in the best place to know, but on the tv, it looks like there is more. Particularly if the player doesn't agree with the third umpire, as Khawaja today. DRS is dissent.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby rich1uk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:48 pm

it maybe gets more focus now when there is one that looks like a bad decision has been made but I have to accept what the umpires say about levels of dissent as they are the ones it gets directed towards

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:54 pm

DRS is fine in it's current format, technology should be only used as an aid and not to overturn marginal decisions.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby rich1uk » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:12 am

technology doesn't overturn any marginal decisions , the thresholds are built into lbws to ensure any marginal decisions remain with the onfield umpires original call

for other decisions technology is only there as an aid to the 3rd umpire and its the inconsistent interpretation of what is considered sufficient evidence to overturn the onfield decision by the 3rd umpire that is the problem

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:43 am

Absolutely and that's how it should remain, that Swann LBW didn't look convincing from 1st reaction even if it hit 45% of leg stump.

Any inconsistent interpretation is probably down to umpires discretion, well that is what I like to believe.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby DeltaAlpha » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:27 am

I don't mind DRS in principle, but I do think it needs a major overhaul.

It's often said that its objective is to correct 'howlers', but I'm not sure that that was the original intention: all that's needed to correct howlers is video replays, not all the smart stuff that we now have.

If we're going to have the smart stuff, then it should be used to its fullest capabilities, those who make the decisions based on its use need to be better trained, the ICC needs to sit down and think out just what it's trying to achieve, there should be a time limit on how long the third umpire has to make a decision and it should be used consistently - i.e. in all test matches or not at all.

As it is at the moment, it's just a distraction that, for me, takes away much of the enjoyment of watching cricket.
2011-12 CMS winter chess champion
2011 CMS spring chess champion
DeltaAlpha

Team(s) Supported: England

Postby Gingerfinch » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:17 am

I'd like to go back to 'the umpire's decision'. I was all for DRS but this series has thrown up a few controversies. Yes, the umpire will make mistakes but I can never remember the bad calls being the talking point over the actual game itself.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby rich1uk » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:34 am

Dr Robert wrote:I'd like to go back to 'the umpire's decision'. I was all for DRS but this series has thrown up a few controversies. Yes, the umpire will make mistakes but I can never remember the bad calls being the talking point over the actual game itself.

you wont stop that tho as the only way to do so would be to ban the TV companies from using any form of replay or any of the "toys" that are included in DRS

altho the BCCI do try to do that I suppose for their home games

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Next

Return to Cricket Opinion Polls