1%
Keith Barker
No votes
Chris Rushworth
1%

Total votes : 92

Re: You are Geoff Miller: Pace Bowlers

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:00 am

Kim wrote:Maybe. Might depend on whether they take a second spinner or not. I suppose they will though the options resemble West Hams up front with Carroll injured - grim to ghastly.

They'll take Monty, there isn't much else they can do.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby hopeforthebest » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:24 am

The way Watson, Clarke and Bailey played in ODI series I think any spinner would have received the same treatment as Tredwell so I still feel he has a strong chance. Of course going only with Swann and having back up in the performance squad is also possible. I have the feeling that they still believe Root can bowl at test level and we shall see that tested in the warm up games to relieve Swann of the full burden.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Kim » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:26 am

hopeforthebest wrote:The way Watson, Clarke and Bailey played in ODI series I think any spinner would have received the same treatment as Tredwell so I still feel he has a strong chance. Of course going only with Swann and having back up in the performance squad is also possible. I have the feeling that they still believe Root can bowl at test level and we shall see that tested in the warm up games to relieve Swann of the full burden.

I hope not.
The Kookaburra Man
Kim

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:32 am

Unfortunate for Tredwell, maybe, that Watson, Clarke and Bailey are right handers.

Root is someone who might take two or three wickets in a series. Woakes and Stokes are bowlers who could conceivably do that in each Test. Perhaps more sometimes.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby hopeforthebest » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:33 am

Kim wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:The way Watson, Clarke and Bailey played in ODI series I think any spinner would have received the same treatment as Tredwell so I still feel he has a strong chance. Of course going only with Swann and having back up in the performance squad is also possible. I have the feeling that they still believe Root can bowl at test level and we shall see that tested in the warm up games to relieve Swann of the full burden.

I hope not.

I don't mean as the sole spin option but simply to reduce Swann's work load.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby shankycricket » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:09 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:
shankycricket wrote:
Regarding Woakes vs Stokes, I'd like to find space for both in the squad but they won't take 18, so maybe take Woakes ahead of Taylor/Ballance as the backup batter. I don't think it'd be a terrible move. If I have to pick one, I'll go with Stokes as I believe as he is a better bowler (or to put it in another way, at least more likely to pick wickets at Test level). Woakes IMO is the better batsman, techincally and I think he has the potential to score Test hundreds. Quite ironic as they are supposed to be exactly the opposite at county level but from whatever I've seen of them, I think England are right in their assessment of Stokes as a bowling allrounder and Woakes as a batting allrounder. I'd pick both in the squad but if it comes down to only one of them, I think I'll plump for Stokes, being the better bowler IMO.

Stokes has had the benefit of bowling on a bowler friendly surface at Chester-Le-Street, such wickets don't really exist in Australia.

I'm not going by their county stats, just based on what I've seen of them at international level and I think you're incorrect in your assessment about the Australian pitches. Just look at some of the scores in the Shield.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby alfie » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:09 pm

shankycricket wrote:
Alviro Patterson wrote:
shankycricket wrote:
Regarding Woakes vs Stokes, I'd like to find space for both in the squad but they won't take 18, so maybe take Woakes ahead of Taylor/Ballance as the backup batter. I don't think it'd be a terrible move. If I have to pick one, I'll go with Stokes as I believe as he is a better bowler (or to put it in another way, at least more likely to pick wickets at Test level). Woakes IMO is the better batsman, techincally and I think he has the potential to score Test hundreds. Quite ironic as they are supposed to be exactly the opposite at county level but from whatever I've seen of them, I think England are right in their assessment of Stokes as a bowling allrounder and Woakes as a batting allrounder. I'd pick both in the squad but if it comes down to only one of them, I think I'll plump for Stokes, being the better bowler IMO.

Stokes has had the benefit of bowling on a bowler friendly surface at Chester-Le-Street, such wickets don't really exist in Australia.

I'm not going by their county stats, just based on what I've seen of them at international level and I think you're incorrect in your assessment about the Australian pitches. Just look at some of the scores in the Shield.

For what it's worth , I reckon Stokes would actually be quite suited to Australian pitches. Not suggesting he be thrown into the Test team this time round - his batting doesn't look up to number six/seven , and if he were part of a four man attack England might be struggling ! But , if the worst were to happen with Bresnan , he might be the best "spare" to have on hand. I like Woakes as a batsman , on what I have seen. But I doubt he is in the best six bats in England , and I suspect he would not prosper here with the ball unless we have an unusually wet summer.

If all are fit , England will go Anderson Broad Bresnan , and two of Finn Tremlett Rankin will be backup. Onions hovering on the fringe of selection. So I don't expect either man on the trip. But if Bresnan were ruled out , I would be tempted to take Stokes.

We will all know soon enough.
alfie

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Well England are going to play four bowlers, three of whom are automatic picks. Bresnan's injury has made things a little complex but they'll probably take him in the hope he can prove his fitness between now and the first test. The two back up pace bowlers for me have to be Onions and Rankin.

0nions is the best domestic bowler in the country and Rankin looked the real deal when he stepped up to the ODI team. Anyone suggesting Tremmlet hasn't seen much county cricket, he's likely to be axed by Surrey!

Neither Woakes nor Stokes is as good as Onions or Rankin, we're playing seven batters so their batting is irrelevant unless we're suddenly going to play five bowlers.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby greyblazer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:16 pm

shankycricket wrote:
greyblazer wrote:Broad, Anderson, Rankin, Finn, Tremlett and Onions.

Bresnan, not even in the squad? He did enough in the 3 Tests he played in the home Ashes to at least be in the squad. I'm no fan but your hatred is reaching personal levels now especially when you pick Tremlett who has had a terrible county season.

If I start hating those who I have never met then that day I have to call myself as mad haha. Well I have my reasons especially in a 4-man attack. Yes as I have always liked Tremlett I frankly accept that may have influenced me to plump for him. I have never been someone who keeps talking about this tall bowlers rubbish but I rate those who can get awkward bounce from even a goodish length. Of course I haven't seen too much of Tremlett in recent times and maybe he has lost a yard of pace.
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby greyblazer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Australian wickets should suit Onions's style of bowling. Rankin reminds you a lot of Freddie Flintoff.
2010 IPL prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby shankycricket » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:00 pm

greyblazer wrote:
shankycricket wrote:
greyblazer wrote:Broad, Anderson, Rankin, Finn, Tremlett and Onions.

Bresnan, not even in the squad? He did enough in the 3 Tests he played in the home Ashes to at least be in the squad. I'm no fan but your hatred is reaching personal levels now especially when you pick Tremlett who has had a terrible county season.

If I start hating those who I have never met then that day I have to call myself as mad haha. Well I have my reasons especially in a 4-man attack. Yes as I have always liked Tremlett I frankly accept that may have influenced me to plump for him. I have never been someone who keeps talking about this tall bowlers rubbish but I rate those who can get awkward bounce from even a goodish length. Of course I haven't seen too much of Tremlett in recent times and maybe he has lost a yard of pace.

But Bresnan actually did well in the last series, far better than Finn who was awful in the 1st Test. Bres played a key role in the Durham win alongside Broad when both Anderson and Swann were looking off colour. You may not agree with him being in the XI (I don't have him either) but to not even pick him in the side after his contributions in the recent series feels like a stretch.

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Postby shankycricket » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:02 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:Well England are going to play four bowlers, three of whom are automatic picks. Bresnan's injury has made things a little complex but they'll probably take him in the hope he can prove his fitness between now and the first test. The two back up pace bowlers for me have to be Onions and Rankin.

0nions is the best domestic bowler in the country and Rankin looked the real deal when he stepped up to the ODI team. Anyone suggesting Tremmlet hasn't seen much county cricket, he's likely to be axed by Surrey!

Neither Woakes nor Stokes is as good as Onions or Rankin, we're playing seven batters so their batting is irrelevant unless we're suddenly going to play five bowlers.

I have all 4 in my squad.

Totally agree with you btw. Really surprised that Finn has more votes than Rankin.

shankycricket

Postby shankycricket » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:04 pm

alfie wrote:
shankycricket wrote:
Alviro Patterson wrote:
shankycricket wrote:

For what it's worth , I reckon Stokes would actually be quite suited to Australian pitches. Not suggesting he be thrown into the Test team this time round - his batting doesn't look up to number six/seven , and if he were part of a four man attack England might be struggling ! But , if the worst were to happen with Bresnan , he might be the best "spare" to have on hand. I like Woakes as a batsman , on what I have seen. But I doubt he is in the best six bats in England , and I suspect he would not prosper here with the ball unless we have an unusually wet summer.

If all are fit , England will go Anderson Broad Bresnan , and two of Finn Tremlett Rankin will be backup. Onions hovering on the fringe of selection. So I don't expect either man on the trip. But if Bresnan were ruled out , I would be tempted to take Stokes.

We will all know soon enough.

If Bairstow, then Woakes is.

shankycricket

Postby greyblazer » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:39 am

Now I can hit back at you by saying you have some hatred towards Finn. I believe it is harsh to compare Finn and Bres as Finn just played 1 test in that Ashes series. At best Bres takes 2-3 wickets per innings. With a strike rate of 66, average of 32 and one 5-for in 20 odd tests I'm never sure about selecting him in a 4-man attack. Maybe in a 5-man attack fine.
2010 IPL prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby greyblazer » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:50 am

On this forum it feels like especially the Yorkshire brigade believe I have something against Bresnan haha. If he improves his stats I have no problem. I'm not some great believer in stats but Bres's stats at present just won't make me feel confident about him playing in a 4-man attack. If at all Flower and co. ever opt for a 5-man I definitely look at him as a viable option.
2010 IPL prediction guru
greyblazer

PreviousNext

Return to Cricket Opinion Polls