Who will be the next England player to retire?

Cast Your Vote!

Who will be the next England player to retire?

James Anderson
24%
Kevin Pietersen
47%
Matt Prior
18%
Monty Panesar
No votes
Ian Bell
No votes
Somebody else
6%
Who are these clowns?
6%

Total votes : 17

Re: Who will be the next England player to retire?

Postby hopeforthebest » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:07 pm

from_the_stands wrote:I must admit, I'd already written off Trott. Him aside, I reckon KP will be the next to bow out, and I reckon it will be after the Sydney Test. With the IPL auction looming, KP really has reached that stage of his career where he's achieved what he wanted to as a Test player; he's played over 100 Tests, won thhase Ashes 3 times, has worn the arm band. There's nothing left for him... including friends in the England team. He'll jump off a sinking ship and land in a huge pile of IPL money. Him and Swanny will both release books slating each other, triggering the book wars, which will carry on when they go up against each other in "Strictly," "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here," and "Celebrity Masterchef," before they both join the ranks of pro wrestling and fight off in a cage match, which will be won by Swann when Andrew Strauss, (wearing a mask) sneaks into the cage on knocks KP out with a crow bar.

James Anderson will be next after KP, retiring after the India series. Having done most of the donkey work for 90 Tests now, he looks knackered. One last roll of the dice for him at home and it will be curtains, I suspect. Matt Prior won't retire, but rather will get dropped after Sydney, and be deported to a prison camp in North Korea, never to be seen from again.

4 times.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm pretty sure KP was injured in 2009. He might have played in the first couple of Tests, but wasn't there for the win at the Oval.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby hopeforthebest » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:52 pm

from_the_stands wrote:I'm pretty sure KP was injured in 2009. He might have played in the first couple of Tests, but wasn't there for the win at the Oval.

playing two games counts FTS, he was at the Oval for the celebrations.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:24 pm

If it counts, then it also means that that low life, John Terry is a European cup winner, even though he didn't play in the game that counted. Either way, my point is that there is nothing left for KP in the Test arena. He's not going to break Sachin's record and he isn't going to get the arm band back. He's probably missing the buzz of the IPL and as such, will be riding off into an Indian sunset sooner rather than later.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby DeltaAlpha » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:40 pm

I agree with fts. KP's achieved what he set out to achieve - fame, 'celebrity status' and cash. Nothing more he can gain from playing tests for England.
2011-12 CMS winter chess champion
2011 CMS spring chess champion
DeltaAlpha

Team(s) Supported: England

Postby Alviro Patterson » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:11 pm

Sooner KP retires the better, it's time to give the next generation a chance and there are plenty of deserving players waiting in the wings.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby SaintPowelly » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:41 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:Sooner KP retires the better, it's time to give the next generation a chance and there are plenty of deserving players waiting in the wings.

*cough* James Vince *cough*
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:43 am

Well, he didn't exactly retire, but was rather pensioned off, or to put it more accurately, was given a golden kick in the @rse.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Previous

Return to Cricket Opinion Polls