5%
South Africa
No votes
West Indies
5%

Total votes : 21

Re: Who Will Win the Cricket World Cup?

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:34 am

I went for Australia, but I think it will be close. If Australia's current side play in the knockouts, you fancy a few quick wickets could trouble a line up with Smith, Maxwell, Haddin and Bailey (who is terribly out of nick)
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby KipperJohn » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:47 am

I've gone for England simply because I am patriotic. Whatever criticism I have of the ECB, management and other stuff over the last year or so in my heart I'm an England supporter, and whether my favourites are in the team or not.

:Eng:
KipperJohn

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:36 pm

Hi KJ. I was joking about Adi picking England, not really meaning to dig out who did.

I'd quite like to see the Kiwis win it.I know it doesn't really work from a Utilitarian point of view, but from a playing in the right spirit perspective, and their home status, and their underdog tradition, in the year of the ICC carve up, I feel it'd be a feelgood win.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:37 pm

But I picked Australia as favourites.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby hopeforthebest » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:45 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Hmm, heavy betting on Australia overnight.

Not surprising as they have put daylight between most of the other nations except maybe SA. England's chances look rosier with Morgan at the helm but our middle order with Root and Bopara looks flimsy.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:16 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:

Not surprising as they have put daylight between most of the other nations except maybe SA. England's chances look rosier with Morgan at the helm but our middle order with Root and Bopara looks flimsy.

The same Joe Root who has scored more ODI runs and centuries than any other England player in 2014?
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby hopeforthebest » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:53 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:

The same Joe Root who has scored more ODI runs and centuries than any other England player?

Most of his runs have been in Asia or against Asian teams, against Australia or in Oz he's not done well. It's not so much just Root or Bopara but the combination of the two playing in the same eleven.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:57 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:

The same Joe Root who has scored more ODI runs and centuries than any other England player?

Lots of England players have scored more runs than Root. What am I missing here? Morgs must have more tons.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:20 pm

My feeling has been that none of the England players will rehabilitate their reputations following the Ashes whitewash until the year of cricket about to start.

I was a bit alarmed by the way Root got out in the ODI v Australia. It was like a clip from the previous winter. Stuck on the crease, he poked a defensive bat at a wide fast ball and guided a catch to slip.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:12 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:The same Joe Root who has scored more ODI runs and centuries than any other England player?

:hmmm

Out of current players available to play for England, Eoin Morgan, KP, Trott, Bell, Bopara, Cook and Bell have scored more runs..... and Root has more hundreds then only Bopara.

I don't think any can beat Roots record in Australia though... average 16 at a strike rate of 49
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:28 pm

Just as well half of England's group games are in New Zealand, where Joe Root averages 163 with a strike rate of 93. Along with Afghanistan and Bangladesh making up two of three England's group games in Australia.
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:35 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:
Alviro Patterson wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:

Most of his runs have been in Asia or against Asian teams, against Australia or in Oz he's not done well. It's not so much just Root or Bopara but the combination of the two playing in the same eleven.

Difficult to ignore Root when he's earned a World Cup spot after a good performance in the Sri Lanka ODI series.

As for Bopara, he's probably in the squad due to being a more experienced squad member and part-time bowling option.

Alviro Patterson

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:57 pm

Yes, Root has certainly justified his selection over the past six months.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:24 pm

No votes for South Africa? They do have two of the best ODI batsmen in the world, and a very good pace attack. Is that choker tag still hanging around their necks?
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:35 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:Just as well half of England's group games are in New Zealand, where Joe Root averages 163 with a strike rate of 93. Along with Afghanistan and Bangladesh making up two of three England's group games in Australia.

Yeah but end of the day why care about NZ games when the games in Australia matter more AKA quarter final, maybe Semi final and the Final in Melbourne.
England only has 3 grounds to prepare for Melbourne, Sydney and Eden Park, the games in group stage don't matter apart from qualifying and getting the right opposition in Quarter Finals.

Root biggest problem is probably pace but lucky for him Melbourne, Sydney and Eden Park are not known for their pace but then again Root technique is horrible and looks to have a mental problem than a proper technique failure considering only Australia have made him look terrible against pace look ok against Yadav/Aaron and then they both bowl quick.
Root is becoming too static at the crease and is a walking wicket when he does that this isn't even really a problem with Root but most of the english batting line up had a similar problem to genuine pace.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

PreviousNext

Return to Cricket Opinion Polls