6%
Mitch Johnson
No votes
Fred Trueman
28%
John Snow
6%

Total votes : 18

Re: All time Ashes XI: The fast bowlers.

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:31 pm

I'd have Vaas up on that list if you're going to bring Johnson into the equation, he was phenomenal considering he spent most of his efforts on tracks designed for batting and spin.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:40 am

They're a funny thing, statistics. Pretty much whatever way it is looked at, Lohman should be first picked. None of us have seen him bowl - nor had our dads, et al. tell us how great he was (a la Trueman). I am sure that the England fans among us heard plenty more about Trueman when they were growing up (unless they actually saw him during his career) than I did - and I heard a fair bit, but Tyson as well. As the stats don't really back up the legend of Trueman, I can only assume that the legend itself is something that has garnered him some of the votes - there can't be too many of us to have seen him bowl.

Generally a pace bowler is remembered for wickets, speed, accuracy and intimidation - such as Lillee and Steyn, yet McGrath had only two of those and is top of the list. Johnson has three of them and is not in the running.

I didn't get to vote.....
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:23 am

Fred had a phenomenal record, better than DKL's. Just it's reversed in Ashes cricket.

I was close to picking Spofforth (because of the legend factor which obviously is part of the attraction), but for he and Lohmann, you have to take into account early bowling averages are low across the board, as I take into account the generally lower batting averages. Any stats until WWI can't be taken at face value.

I was thinking of having McG as my third seamer. I just wanted pace for my new ball bowlers. So I was going to weigh up him or Laker for my last bowler.

Larwood would have been a strong pick on the legend factor. But he didn't play many games.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:26 am

When I last looked it up, Johnson and Harris had the best SRs in Aussie history, probably for 100 wickets, against all opposition.That's why I tentatively suggested Mitch for the greats category. His periods off the rails tend to undermine that.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:46 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Fred had a phenomenal record, better than DKL's. Just it's reversed in Ashes cricket.
ah, of course. I didn't think about that :oops:

However, surely choices of an Ashes bowler should be based on Ashes performances?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:26 am

But legend still plays a part. I think the two picks are the best choices. Lillee and McGrath. But in an eleven representing Ashes cricket, I wanted a bit more X factor from my opening bowler.
Arthur Crabtree

Previous

Return to Cricket Opinion Polls