Will James Taylor play another test match?

Cast Your Vote!

Will James Taylor play another test match?

Yes
90%
No
No votes
Who's James Taylor?
10%

Total votes : 10

Re: Will James Taylor play another test match?

Postby Making_Splinters » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:48 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Taylor has been fairly underwhelming since his move to Notts. I do feel for the lad, he been messed around and dropped without ever doing much wrong. I reckon he'll have to wait till Bell retires to get a fair shot at the Test side.

He doesnt have the peaks that others have, but his record is consistently strong.

His record has been good without ever being in the realm that demands selection. If your going to make a change mid series it's hard to overlook someone averaging close to 100, rightly or wrongly.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby sussexpob » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:50 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
sussexpob wrote:
Taylor has been fairly underwhelming since his move to Notts. I do feel for the lad, he been messed around and dropped without ever doing much wrong. I reckon he'll have to wait till Bell retires to get a fair shot at the Test side.

He doesnt have the peaks that others have, but his record is consistently strong.

His record has been good without ever being in the realm that demands selection. If your going to make a change mid series it's hard to overlook someone averaging close to 100, rightly or wrongly.

I dont disagree, but in Bairstow's case the reasons for his previous failure were there to be seen. Was this a case of a selector seeing a page of stats, or saying "he is playing the short ball better"?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:30 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Gingerfinch wrote:He did from what I read get out to a great ball in his only innings. Best to see if he's improved after the Oval.

Im never convinced a ball that can be ducked or swayed to is a great ball. It was a good bouncer, but you expect a guy averaging a 108 to get out the way off it.

Either way, its further evidence if needed, that Bairstow struggles with short stuff.

Except the ball that got Bairstow (and Stokes) out was unavoidable. There is a difference between facing Division One county bowlers and Mitchell Johnson!
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby sussexpob » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:17 am

Sorry, but there is nothing unavoidable about a bouncer up at throat level to the offside of the body. A sensible batsman simply drops the hands and sways out the way of it.....

Look at that wicket last week properly.... Bairstow doesnt move his feet at all, he takes an initial trigger step forward then gets his weight in no mans land, putting himself in an awful position to then get out the way of it.

At the point of contact on the glove, his head is pointed towards a mid on type angle and his eyes are completely off the ball. His bat is almost in front of his body at an angle, and his bottom hand is no longer on the bat.

Terrible technique
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby sussexpob » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:18 am

Check it here... all kinds of wrong. Textbook case of non textbook playing.
Attachments
bairstow.JPG
bairstow.JPG (9.57 KiB) Viewed 1754 times

sussexpob

Previous

Return to Cricket Opinion Polls