What's to blame for lack of Indian wicket taking bowlers?

Cast Your Vote!

IPL
No votes
The lure of batting in youth cricket
57%
Too much of a focus on spin
No votes
Indian pitches
43%

Total votes : 7

Postby The Professor » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:49 pm

"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Re: What's to blame for lack of Indian wicket taking bowlers

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:19 pm

The post colonial carve up of British India.

:hide
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:46 pm

Sounds a complicated question. Maybe dated tactics which seek to reduce the RR rather than take wickets at all?
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:56 am

from_the_stands wrote:The post colonial carve up of British India.

:clap
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:46 am

Maybe it would have been worse without that!

#dunno
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:54 am

365notout wrote:What's to blame for lack of Indian wicket taking bowlers?

Jonathan Trott

"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby meninblue » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:21 pm

The bowlers are themselves to be blamed.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:42 pm

It is certainaly not the pitches, can't be the IPL considering it only started 8 years ago.
Voted for The lure of batting in youth cricket.
Remember Greyblazer saying this all the time that kids don't actually want to bowl in nets.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby The Professor » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:29 pm

Think we can add fast bowlers to this list too....really struck me today how the bowlers that the Indians are calling fast just start their run ups a yard further back.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Kent

Postby The Professor » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:03 pm

A section of a post for my blog inspired by this question:

The fact is inescapable. India are no longer producing fast bowlers.

A casual observer of the ODIs against Australia can seen that. The T20i results have turned fortunes around for the Indian team, but T20 games are not the natural home of the fast bowler. In the ODIs India planted their flag in lofty summits, only for it to be ripped out again by Australian batsmen.

I have chalked this down to a new phenomenon but it would appear I am wrong. Since 2000, India has scored more than 300 batting first on 58 occasions, losing ten times and conceding one draw. So what is it that is up with the Indian bowlers?

One perennial favourite reason is the financial allure of the IPL. Whether you like it or not the IPL has had a seismic effect on cricketing culture in India. The IPL has encouraged the world's best fast bowlers to extend their repertoire of deliveries. To be just a good fast bowler now is not enough to get you the big contract and be picked up by a franchise. This has caused young Indian bowlers to spread their time in other disciplines, thus affecting their prowess as a fast bowler.

Knowledge of the IPL franchises proves that if you are a fast bowler who bats a bit your place in the team is assured. This sees these bowlers spend half their time working on their pace bowling, the other time trying to fit the round peg of batting into the square hole. I personally believe that the fact that the poster boy of Indian cricket for the last twenty years has been Sachin Tendulkar, a consummate batsman, has sub-consciously skewed the national dreams of a generation of young Indian cricketers. Even if you are not distracted by the lure of batting, you will, at very least, be encouraged to work on yorkers and slower ones, which will therefore distract you from your trade as a fast bowler.

Children who have grown up in India playing cricket on the streets and on spare patches of ground must look askance at the criticism of Indian tracks; however, as can be seen by the recent South African series, pitches are not being maintained for fast bowling. This is a cricketing equivalent of the chicken or the egg. Are pitches being made to suit spin because Indian fast bowlers are so poor or is Indian fast bowling so poor because pitches are suited to spin?

Another fact that is inescapable – in matches outside the sub-continent the quick bowlers are the chief weapon in the armoury of a team. At this rate India will be substandard without them.
The Professor

Kent

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:14 am

reckon the ranji trophy final pretty much kills the pitch is the reason why india not producing bowlers.

A green top for the final and it isn't even the exception reckon 60-70% of the pitches have been helpful for the pace men.

In my opinion these days Indian domestic pitches are one of the best in the world, something for the spinners, pace men and batman but most importantly only the best pace men, spinners and batsman get rewarded.
The issues is mostly the standard in group C and the lower end teams of group B are not that great.

the issue is mostly down to india not really producing bowlers and making the most out of the pitches and conditions now in domestic level.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby greyblazer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:03 pm

The situation seems to be slowly changing in youth cricket. Those coming through ranks want to bowl quick as well. It wasn't the case in the 1990s. Hence, you perhaps see the likes of Umesh, Shami and Co. at the top now. Shardul Thakur, Nathu and a few others aren't bad either.

Of course, the perception I still get when I visit various cities is youngsters in India even now look at cricket as a batting game. SRT has been replaced by Kohli as the role model. Just that it feels as if there is a bit more interest with regard to bowling quick. If you don't have that initiation to take up fast bowling, pitches or whatever won't help.
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Return to Cricket Opinion Polls