Who is the most impressive Test captain of the Century?

Cast Your Vote!

Who is/are the stand out captain/s of this era?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:35 pm

Graeme Smith
4%
Ricky Ponting
8%
MS Dhoni
No votes
Stephen Fleming
17%
Alastair Cook
No votes
Michael Vaughan
8%
Andrew Strauss
No votes
Michael Clarke
No votes
Steve Waugh
17%
Sourav Ganguly
8%
Misbah-ul-Haq
8%
Brendan McCullum
13%
Virat Kohli
No votes
Mahela Jayawardene
4%
Nasser Hussain
13%

Total votes : 24

Re: Who is the most impressive Test captain of the Century?

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:02 pm

sussexpob wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:Mahela for me

Did he ever win a test series away against anyone but BD?

no test series but won test in England, Sa and was competitive in Aus.
Really if he had better pace bowlers he would have done really well.

Really he overachieved with Sri lanka but don't really like looking at captain on results since they dependent on player like looking at them like what they do with the players and how they set fields and how tactical minded they are.
Jayawardene underrated since he didn't do the job for long or doesn't really have many special moment, but he captain the most wins outside asia for sri lanka.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby sussexpob » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:25 pm

bhaveshgor wrote: no test series but won test in England, Sa and was competitive in Aus

Sri Lanka took 11 wickets in 4 innings of that series in Australia. In the field, they looked as incapable of engineering wickets as any team thats possibly toured Australia.

In the South African series, they were obliterated in the other two tests. They won the dead rubber after an innings loss and a 10 wicket win (only avoiding a straight innings loss by two runs).... hardly a competitive series.

And they would have lost the series in England had it not been for (by memory) England dropping about 12 catches at Lords in 2006 after Sri Lanka had a 400 run deficit in the second innings.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:35 pm

Can't expect much from an awful pace attack, do they even have a decent fast bowler apart from vaas.
Most of them are slow, inaccurate and barely averages 50 during his Time in charge, only really Matthews captain a decent pace attack for Sri Lanka, but then he got an average spin attack and batting line up.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby sussexpob » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:39 pm

bhaveshgor wrote: Really he overachieved with Sri lanka

Did he?

Andres Strauss averaged the same as Jayasuriya
Trescothick averages 3 runs better than Dilshan
Jaywardene averages 6 runs more than Jonathan Trott
Sangakarra averages 10 more runs than KP
Samaweera averages 6 more runs than Bell
Angelo Mathews averages 7 more than Paul Collingwood
Chandimal averages 4 more than Prior

Top seven, Sri Lanka average over 5 runs per play more

Jimmy Anderson averages 1 run less than Vaas
Broad averages about the same as Herath
Malinga and Flintoff average about the same
Swann is not Murali

Comparing England's team when they were world number 1, it seems Sri Lanka had under Jaywardene a wealth of talent even in comparison, and achieved a fraction as a team.

He had a guy who averaged 57 with the bat, and arguably the best bowler ever!! Sri Lanka should have been winning all the time.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:42 pm

From the resources Sri Lanka had jayawardene done well.
With the resources Sri Lanka got they shouldn't be a good test team, below par first class system, small population and poor facilities.
You wonder if the days of them getting players from a small group of private school will end, not sure a small nation like Sri Lanka can expect schools to provide test players.
Saying that jayawardene and sanga could have done way more in changing the first class system especially now when they are powerful enough to get it changed.
I always got the impression sanga and jaya were too scared to get involved in it especially the merry go round of them giving the captainacy away.
Only really seen both speak up when they were close to retiring.
Last edited by Dr Cricket on Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:44 pm

sussexpob wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote: Really he overachieved with Sri lanka

Did he?

Andres Strauss averaged the same as Jayasuriya
Trescothick averages 3 runs better than Dilshan
Jaywardene averages 6 runs more than Jonathan Trott
Sangakarra averages 10 more runs than KP
Samaweera averages 6 more runs than Bell
Angelo Mathews averages 7 more than Paul Collingwood
Chandimal averages 4 more than Prior

Top seven, Sri Lanka average over 5 runs per play more

Jimmy Anderson averages 1 run less than Vaas
Broad averages about the same as Herath
Malinga and Flintoff average about the same
Swann is not Murali

Comparing England's team when they were world number 1, it seems Sri Lanka had under Jaywardene a wealth of talent even in comparison, and achieved a fraction as a team.

He had a guy who averaged 57 with the bat, and arguably the best bowler ever!! Sri Lanka should have been winning all the time.

How many did they average outside Asia or Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka won most games at home no?
Malinga hardly played tess because of fitness and highly doubtful Sri Lanka would get a dry pitch away from home.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:46 pm

Look at their bowling attack was essentially murali and vaas with both below peak when jayawardene was in charge. Murali wasn't even the same bowler once vaas left.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:52 pm

But you did make good point with ganguly.
Jayawardene or sanga could have easily been the same person that started a legacy in Sri Lanka.
Ganguly went against the system and politics plus culture.
Jaya or sanga were bit timid in comparison so they probably lose votes in that regard.
Saying that kohli was poor today as well so he losing votes as well.
Bit tricky picking best captain.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:58 pm

Maybe SL more of successful, groundbreaking ODI side, very competitive at major events. In Tests, mainly strong in familiar conditions.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:08 pm

No real consensus out there...
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:24 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Maybe SL more of successful, groundbreaking ODI side, very competitive at major events. In Tests, mainly strong in familiar conditions.

T20I's was what pushed Sri Lanka to be groundbreaking. And that was the period after Sangakarra took over in 2008ish. I believe Malinga was captain when they won the T20, and Sangakarra Captained them to 2 x finals. This shows you what they could achieve in the game.

As for relative resources, Angelo Mathews won in England with arguably their worst team in about 20 years.....

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:39 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:[ How many did they average outside Asia or Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka won most games at home no?
Malinga hardly played tess because of fitness and highly doubtful Sri Lanka would get a dry pitch away from home.

You cant say a captain is great because his team arent expected to do anything away from home.

England went to Pakistan in 2000/01 with a team of Atherton (finished and at the very end), Trescothick (poor county record and no international experience outside England), Thorpe, Hick ( a test failure), Stewart (like Atherton, at the end), Hussain, Craig White, Ian Salisbury (the worst test spinner imaginable), Ashley Giles, Darren Gough (who was injured in the first two tests) and Andy Caddick.....

That was hardly a pitch or line up that you thought would do well on turning Asian pitches, but they won. They also won in Sri Lanka the series after.

Teams with as many world class players as Jaywardene had at his disposal should be doing a lot better away from home. The fact they didnt is an underachievement, and the management of the team needs to stand up and take the blame.

sussexpob

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:30 pm

Good points sussex.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:36 pm

I usually think that MPV is the best skipper I've seen. He emerged a little surprisingly. I don't remember any FEC talk about him, like there was about Nas and Athers before him, and Cook and Root afterwards. I think when Nas missed a game, Trescothick was skipper, and Tresco was a favourite for the job full time. But it felt like Hussain and Fletcher had turned English cricket around and it seemed a vulnerable moment when the old captain stood down.

Nasser was reportedly a tough and strict captain. Vaughan immediately conveyed that he wanted to be inclusive and explore the decision making of all the players. And he allowed the players to express themselves, as became clear when his generation contrasted the treatment of KP under different captains. And memorable, when KP asked how to play it, at lunch in 2005 on day five at the Oval, he said, 'your way'. He likes to play up his man management skills, but others do too. As he said, was it so hard to make KP feel like he was special if he was going to win the Ashes for you?

He currently divides people, I think because he thinks it is his job to make lighthearted chat on TMS and stir up controversy with his Twitter and newspaper pieces. None of which he does well. Yet when he deigns to actually comment on the game, he is always a step or two in front of the others and is probably the most perceptive pundit I've ever heard. Listening to he and Harmison working out a batter together is like a watchmaker describing the escapements.

Before he took over, he didn't attract the eye much in the field (in spite of being the most glamorous England batter I've ever seen). But as captain, he assumed enormous presence. Like the previously puppyish Michael Clarke, as captain he immediately became an obvious leader, a narrator of events on the field, always devising, always apparently ahead of the game, sticking and twisting as made apparent sense.

But what I most remember him for is how he emerged in the summer of 05 as a leader and a spokesperson of the team. He took over as captain of his side in a relatively minor national sport. Certainly not like football. He talked well to the cricket press, but that is a small environment. When cricket became a news story in that Ashes summer, he represented the team, and the supporters, to the wider public with a great deal of confidence and calmness and expertise. Whenever I microphone was stuck in front of anyone else in the team (Probably apart from Freddie) they became bashful, and looked to Vaughan. Who fortunately, had a politician's ability to have something ready to say.

Where he failed, was in his legacy. Like many England coaches and captains, they seem to take everything down with them when they go. Nasser handing over to MPV was relatively adroit. But the legacy of most England skippers has been a whirlwind.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:37 pm

Last day to vote for this.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to Cricket Opinion Polls