Who will win the Champions Trophy?

Cast Your Vote!

Name the winners of the Champions Trophy.

Australia
26%
Bangladesh
4%
England
26%
India
13%
New Zealand
No votes
Pakistan
13%
South Africa
17%
Sri Lanka
No votes

Total votes : 23

Re: Who will win the Champions Trophy?

Postby rich1uk » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:43 pm

australia have to be the team to beat imo

a batting lineup capable of 350 scores and a bowling lineup with starc. hazlewood and cummins that should be effective in english conditions

england and india may have better batting depth but not the same strength in their bowling
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Slipstream » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:50 pm

We could pick the bowlers that do well at the Edgbaston, the Oval, Sophia Gardens ... :)

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... pe=bowling
Slipstream

Postby meninblue » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:20 pm

Voted for Australia.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:18 pm

Slipstream wrote:We could pick the bowlers that do well at the Edgbaston, the Oval, Sophia Gardens ... :)

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... pe=bowling

Boyd Rankin and James Tredwell?
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:26 pm

You could argue that those figures are mostly outdated, and you just won't get those rpos anymore. In 2014 on those grounds, Anderson was going at six an over. Broad's record over his last few years justifiably got him dropped and there's no good reason to go back to him. Maybe Anderson could have been retained, but cutting down his cricket seemed a good idea, and a fresh start felt welcome.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:45 pm

I predict an England v South Africa final, purely because both sides will have ODIs under their belt before going into the competition. Massive advantage over the other teams whose players will be playing IPL in completely different conditions.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Dr Cricket » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:04 pm

Nehra might be going to the champions trophy with india, crazy to think he played cricket in the late 90s, must be the only one in the international game to still play cricket in the 90s.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:15 pm

Younis Khan probably isn't that much off having played in the 90s.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby dan08 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:18 pm

Chris Gayle debuted in 1999.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:26 pm

So did Shoaib Malik, I was thinking more about Test players.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:34 am

Late to the party I know, but here are my predictions:

Australia - have to be the team to beat. But for a blip in South Africa where they deliberately sent a weakened team due to scheduling requirements, they would be comfortably on top of the rankings. Have two of the best ODI batsmen in the world in Warner and Smith, solid hitting power all the way down the order, good all-rounders, fearsome quicks who should thrive in English conditions, and solid strength in depth. Prediction - winner.

Bangladesh - have made some strides in recent years, and can point to their progress in the World Cup at England's expense to those who might write them off. But that was a very different England team. Bangla can be tough to beat in the subcontinent, but in English conditions and the tougher of the two groups, it's hard to see them progressing. Prediction - a spirited performance, but bottom of the group.

England - for all the great strides made by England of late, I was surprised to see that they are still only no. 5 in the rankings (although the gap between them and no. 3 is pretty small). On their day the batting line-up is the best in the world, they have plenty of all-rounders and depth, but concern remains about the death bowling and lack of a spinner. Plus they have a tough group. Still, they will be at home, and if they get on a roll, they have the talent to do well. Prediction: Always the bridesmaid...

India - while their test side gets better and better, their ODI progress has stalled slightly, and being outside the subcontinent is unlikely to do them any favours. Still, their top order batting is the equal of anyone's, they have the experience of doing well in big tournaments, and with the slightly weaker group, I expect a creditable performance. Prediction: Out in the semis (probably to Australia).

New Zealand - always under-rated in big tournaments, their presence makes group one the 'group of death'. They should adapt well to English conditions, but there is a slight lack of depth to the squad - they are very reliant on a few players (Williamson, Guptill, Boult) to fire, and in a tournament this short, one off day means that you're out. Prediction - just fail to qualify for the semis, but it will be close.

Pakistan - the ever-mercurial Pakistan always have the potential to surprise, but their ODI form has been so dire of late it's hard to see a surprise coming in this tournament, in conditions where they have struggled recently. The leadership has been insecure, and the batting hasn't adapted to the modern game. Prediction - wooden spoon

South Africa - while New Zealand always go into big tournaments slightly unfavoured and punch above their weight, South Africa are invariably fancied by don't quite meet up to their potential. Strong batting including the best in the world AbdV, a variety and penetration in bowling, and they usually adapt well to English conditions. Lack of a world-class allrounder does dent the case a little. The number 1 side in the world should comfortably qualify from what looks to be the slightly weaker of the two groups, but will the dreaded 'c' word appear again? Prediction - out in the knockouts.

Sri Lanka - not been able to make up for the retirement of their big guns, and are in a rebuilding phase. Have struggled against practically everyone in recent times apart from the West Indies and Zimbabwe. With the exception of the redoubtable Angelo Matthews, their squad lacks the depth and experience to do well in unfamiliar conditions. I like them, but it's hard to see them doing well. Prediction - out in the group stage.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:12 am

Good stuff. After the last WC when they didn't even make it to the wedding, England dream of being the bridesmaids.

Agree with the predictions. Of course, something different will happen, but these seem right as things stand going into the competition.

Fielding is so important and hard to factor in. It feels automatic to say that fielding always improves, and ground fielding may well have done (though are the fielders now better than 10-15 years ago when Jonty and Colly roamed the covers?). But the effectiveness of catching? This seems to be going backwards. The winter season catching has been horrific. I don't really follow the IPL, but my impression is from glancing at Cricinfo, that the fielding generally, and catching in particular appears not to have been commensurate with a flagship competition. Slip catching generally is now at my lifetime low. This factor decides matches.

And catching behind the wicket in England is different from other countries. Each location has its own variations in bounce, but there is the difference in swing after going past the bat. A good keeper might make the difference. This should be be an advantage for England as this is at least familiar.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:13 am

Catching is at a low time low but ground fielding been very good lately.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:17 am

Pace bowlers are far better fielders now than even ten years ago.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby hopeforthebest » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:48 am

Australia, South Africa and England look to be the strongest teams especially in English conditions. I would choose England but I fear the pressure of being at home and the desire to win an International ODI comp might be a burden. I agree with rich that out bowling is not as strong as the other main challengers.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

PreviousNext

Return to Cricket Opinion Polls