February 2017 Long Form Player of the Month

Cast Your Vote!

February 2017 Long Form Player of the Month

Postby The Professor » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:21 pm

Occasionally a player who has come from relative obscurity can have a Month of such startling performances that they find themselves on the brink of an international coal up. This has been the case with Malinda Pushpakumara. What is more outstanding is that he has done it with three separate teams.

He began with figures of 6-109 for his domestic side Chilaw against Colombo. He then joined up with the Sri Lankan Board President's XI for a warm up match against the England Lions wherein he got a further six wickets - this time at the expense of 117 runs.

This strong start proved to be only the appetiser to his performances for Sri Lanka A against the England Lions. In the first unofficial Test he got 8-174 and, to cap it off, 13-205.

Overall in a month where he has been compared to Rangana Herath, the Sri Lankan has got thirty-three wickets at an average of 18.3. If he sorts that economy out he could be a very dangerous bowler indeed. He has ended this very impressive month with a call up for Bangladesh's forthcoming tour to Sri Lanka. It shall be interesting to see how he steps up.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Re: February 2017 Long Form Player of the Month

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:16 am

I spotted the remarkable Pushpakamura too. Incredible career for someone not to get the call. Even so, I'm going for Steve O'Keefe. He and the Aussies have really brought a buzz to the Test format and the India v Australia series is now the cricket to watch.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Return to Cricket Opinion Polls