South African Cricket Thread

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: South African Cricket Thread

Postby The Professor » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:06 pm

This match is now finely poised. After getting India A out for 276 - a lead of 21 - Sarwel Erwee helped South Africa A to 69-1 before a little cluster of wickets saw the Proteas to 116-5 at stumps

With a lead of just 137, South Africa could mount a late resistance and go for the win or India could continue to rout the lower order.....or it could be the draw.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby The Professor » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:36 pm

As predicted, this game - like the one before it - petered out into a draw.

As soon as South Africa started putting up a fight it looked likely to be game over. The last 5 batsman added 100 runs meaning India had a target of 234 which India set off looking like they were going to try and make but a trio of wickets from Glenton Stuurman saw things peter out.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Kent

Postby The Professor » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:42 pm

Sarel Erwee is making a real case for Test selection in thos A series against India. He top scored for the Proteas on the first day of the third unofficial Test with 75. South Africa A went to stumps on 249-7.
The Professor

Kent

Postby The Professor » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:25 pm

Another Fifty for Ishan Kishan, he has played an outstanding knock, giving more headaches to the selectors. He came when India A was under pressure with 92 for 4 and they then went to stumps on 229-6 with Kishan 86*.

India A are just 39 behind South Africa's first innings total.
The Professor

Kent

Postby The Professor » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:00 pm

Sarel Erwee was the star of the show again as his second half century of the match saw South Africa A to a decent lead of 188 before the final day tomorrow. India A got a first innings led of 8 before South Africa went to stumps 196-1.

This is looking likely to be the third drawn Test of three so it seems that these two teams are fairly evenly matched.
The Professor

Kent

Postby The Professor » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:53 pm

A century from Zubayr Hamza was the only thing to write home about as this match - like all those before it- petered out into a draw.

Sarel Erwee finishes as the top run scorer with 251 whilst Navdeep Saini is the highest wicket taker with 11
The Professor

Kent

Postby sussexpob » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:44 pm

Graeme Smith can breath a sigh of relief after being found by an independent panel to not have conducted himself in a racist manner when make key decisions in the capacity of captain and coach. Sadly, I have a feeling for Smith that this issue will always live for him, and confess that before recently when I read the details, I sort of took the CSA's investigation into the evidence at face value. But going through the accusations, I have to say that the examples were so baseless and results to damaging, and that people accepted the conclusions so easily and blatantly, that one has to question the honesty and integrity of those in conducting this, and whether or not there was counter racial elements in play. If a black man was treated this way anywhere in the world by people of a white majority in administration above him, I think people would have gone mad.

I mean, the main accusation about him refusing to pick a black keeper for the team when Boucher went down injured was just a total non-starter - the person who de facto replaced him in the team was JP Duminy. So how did replacing a white player with a black player end in accusations Smith was stopping black players entering the team? He didn't. Quite the opposite. A black player was selected. One that averaged 9 runs in test cricket the previous year and would never had got another cap had it not been for racial quotas meaning the team wasnt a meritocracy. Kind of ironic, I guess.

And that's before you get into additional credibilities of everything. The main accuser who's testimony was treated as 100% truth despite others giving evidence to the contrary was banned for being a ring leader for match fixing in SA cricket for 12 years. The CSA stated ABDV wasnt a wicket keeper, yet had played nearly 70 games across the formats as a keeper for the national team at the time. And the player not being picked on race alone had been test capped years before - dropping clangers all over, and averaging 9 runs in his 4 tests..... and was picked while a white player, De Kock, averaged 75 more runs than him in the same season and was seen as the best keeper in SA.

The other accusations were also nonsense. Smith was seen as racist for not dealing with the cricketing board while team Director - the CSA actually sacked all of the board for widespread malpractice not long after. Smith made no secret he thought the board were jokers and wanted nothing to do with them - the CSA thought the same and obligingly got rid of them, then a year later decided in actual fact they were brilliant, and Smith was racist.

As for choosing Boucher as coach... apparently after an annihilation in two test series and SAs worse ever major ICC tournament performance, Smith was racist for not hiring the interim coach who had overseen the total debacle.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:14 pm

As for Mark Boucher though, I will be surprised in the next few weeks if he keeps his job. The case against Boucher is certainly problematic, and I cannot see how he will continue in the job.

Paul Adams gave evidence to the original investigation saying that Boucher created a song that was sung at team meetings, which referred to Adams as "the brown sh*t"; Boucher has since apologised and admitted this occurred and he was involved, although says he didn't instigate it or create the song. An unnamed source in the investigation claimed Adams addressed Boucher in turn as "the white c*nt" on a regular basis, but even if that's true, two wrongs dont make a right, and the suggestions that Adams accepted it all as a joke and was "part of it" sound like usual racist excuses. When playing in a team of 10 white guys, I am not sure the black guy gets to "not be part of it" while not jepordising his career or standing my making an issue, so it seems a mute point. Ntini spoke about almost total isolation at the start of his career in the team, going as far as to say being ignored on the team bus got to him so much, he stopped taking it - and would run to the ground and back before every day's play for the rest of his career... so for an example of what its like not accepting to be "part of it", that is it.

Of course there are other charges leveled against Boucher, mainly with the black lives matters protests. Apparently Boucher didnt speak to his black players about it after Ngidi raised the topic that the team should take the knee - Boucher instead got the black assistant coach to answer his players of colour's concerns, and he focused on the white group - a move that has split opinions down the middle, with some saying he was disregarding his black players concerns, others by saying he focused his time on the real problem groups in the team (the white players refusing to be involved) in hope of persuading them to join in.

The last accusation was Boucher refused to give any responsibility or accountability to his black assistant coach and junior staff. The AC quit in 2021 citing the fact that he was basically given nothing to do, and was turning up just to be the token, silent guy who couldnt be trusted. Not much evidence either way on that one, and the coaches testimony was slightly contradicted by his BLM complaints as it showed Boucher had entrusted key responsibilities to him, while also it has to be noted that said coach was replaced by Boucher and was very vocal about that, so does have an axe to grind with him, and has stated in the past the two have struggled to bond over the issue.

Boucher wont be helped with association to other players and what they have said on the issue. Boeta Dippenaar and Pat Symcox both celebrated the lack of apparent BLM traction under Boucher, friends in the past believed to be close still, by tweeting neo-nazi white conspiracy nonsense about white farmer holocausts. They also, considering the eras they played in, dont paint the late 90s-early 2000s SA team in a great light if they indeed hold/held these types of disgusting views.

Of course, there has been questions from black journalists themselves in SA about where to draw the line. Many people have said if Boucher did hold racist views in the mid to late 90s, and acted appallingly, then in some form of mitigation at what stage is too far back to be considered relevant to now? Because Boucher would have been raised in a racist environment, indoctrinated into it, and the detoxifying process wouldnt have just occurred overnight. At some stage it has to be appreciated that this was 20-25 years ago, that people can change, that outlooks have indeed changed, and people are more educated now.

I dont personally buy into that. I mean, it might be true. Boucher might be a reformed racist with a heart of gold.... but if you ask me if its fair for players to come into a dressing room and sit or be coached with people who are proven to have displayed horrendous racist views or behaviour, I would say absolutely not. I wouldn't feel comfortable entering a dressing room with such a man as a black player, and so I think the right thing is he has to go.

Elgar has been supportive. A lot of other people say Boucher's turn around of the team speaks for itself. But I dont think that changes it. I havent seen any vocal support from people of colour in the team, so maybe that speaks for itself.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby The Professor » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:02 pm

South Africa A have had an inauspicious start to their tour of Zimbabwe despite some decent individual performances. Despite a score of 87 from all rounder Andile Phelukwayo and a score of 273, Zimbabwe managed to chase down the total with relative ease despite the match finishing with Zim needing 7 runs in 2 and a half overs.

Today South Africa scored less than they did in their first ODI (266) but had Zimbabwe 4 down for 93 before the rain set in. Reeza Hendricks was the biggest scorer with 102 off 107.

Wickets have been shared fairly evenly for both teams but Lizaad Williams' 4-48 is the best combined across the two games.

The deciding ODI is on Friday before 5 T20s.
The Professor

Kent

Postby The Professor » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:15 pm

South Africa A seized the series however, as they have done throughout the series, Zimbabwe held their own.

Wellington Masakadza got 4 wickets in the match to end with 6 in the series but could not help South Africa A from.reaching 287 - the highest total of the series.

In the chase, Zimbabwe were let down by their batsmen 5 of the 6 opening batsmen out for 11 runs or fewer. From 85-5, they would have been pleased to have got to 251 but they left too much for their lower order.

Andile Phelukwayo got 143 runs across the three games to claim the most runs across the three games.

5 T20s start on Monday.
The Professor

Kent

Postby mikesiva » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:20 pm

Funny how Rossouw made himself available for selection now that the Kolpak system is no more.

Surprise surprise, he gets selected! So, all that talk about selection policies sidelining him was rubbish, it seems.

I guess it was all about money, after all.

The Kolpak system produced a lot of dishonesty.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby The Professor » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:19 pm

On the first day of the four-day encounter against the England Lions in Canterbury, Khaya Zondo hit an unbeaten 86.

Zondo shared a 143-run sixth-wicket partnership as the team was faltering on 129-5, and Zondo will be looking to take steal a place in the SA XI for the first Test against England next week.

The Proteas finished the day on 282-6, using 13 men in this match (11 for batting, 11 for fielding).

I will be at the match tomorrow to see if he makes his century.
The Professor

Kent

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:31 pm

mikesiva wrote:Funny how Rossouw made himself available for selection now that the Kolpak system is no more.

Surprise surprise, he gets selected! So, all that talk about selection policies sidelining him was rubbish, it seems.

I guess it was all about money, after all.

The Kolpak system produced a lot of dishonesty.

It's always about money, but in fairness to players of countries that aren't playing for England, Australia and India, they still have families to feed and support, so it isn't as simple as plain old greed. I don't know what CSA pay players on a central contract, but it will be tiny compared to the very high rewards afforded to the England boys, so they need to supplement that, or if they can't supplement it whilst still an international player, then they have to prioritise something else.... cue kolpak, drop SA and earn twice as much playing county cricket with the added bonus of T20 leagues to go for in the other 6 months.

once the kolpak route was closed, the English counties were allowed to play an extra overseas player, so now the SA players can do both... which is a) probably right and b) what always used to happen before the kolpak option came into being.

so yes, it is about money, but imo it's a little unfair to call them dishonest. They didn't make the rules.... much cleverer people than them did that... they just had to use the tools available to them to best support their families from a life playing cricket
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:45 pm

CSA are so skint, that they have tried to alleviate this by creating a new domestic tournament and then pull out of an ODI series with Aus (I think) just so they could make their top players available for the whole tournament in order to get the sponsors they need to generate the cash they desperately need

they are so desperate to make the new league a financial success that they are prepared to forego the points needed to qualify for the WC by right and may have to get there by going through the qualifying rounds with Scotland and Zimbabwe and so on

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/62147935

that's how skint they are, so my guess is that their international players earn very limited money playing for their country compared to players from the big 3 nations
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:46 pm

The Professor wrote:I will be at the match tomorrow to see if he makes his century.

enjoy :salute
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL