Spot Fixing?

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Pakistan Spot Fixing?

Postby SaintPowelly » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:48 am

gollygosh wrote:
3) Is the non-selection of players like Michael Carberry, Ravi Bopara and Ajmal Shahzad linked to Britain's colonial past in the subcontinent and the Caribbean?

Only if you discount Gladstone Small, Nasser Hussain, Saj Mahmood etc. what makes you play the race card here Mike? Let alone being off topic in a major way.

It would explain why Michael Carberry didnt get picked ahead of Cook in any of the tests. :hmmm :hmmm
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby gollygosh » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:52 am

We also need to consider that while most of those implicated in spot-fixing are Pakistanis, other players from other coutnires have been implicated in the past, including Marlon Samuels from Jamaica and Australians Shane Warne and Mark Waugh. Does this also raise questions about the social and political cultures of Jamaica and Australia?

Shane Warne and Mark Waugh gave Pitch reports to "John the Bookie" - no more and certainly no less. As a result they were fined by Cricket Australia (an inadequate response in my view) and SKW had his card marked - never to captain Australia. So yes, Im damn happy to say it does say something about the social and political culture of Australia.
pobody is nerfect

WI vs SA Tests prediction guru
Bangladesh vs NZ Tests guru
2009 Champions League prediction guru
Winner 2009 AFL Tipping Competition
gollygosh

Postby gollygosh » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:55 am

And as for donations to Pakistan following the floods, Pakistan governmental corruption has little to do with the poor response. As in the case of Haiti, most donations would go thru UN agencies and charities, and little of it would actually be controlled by the Pakistan government. No, the reason why the UN has had such a problem in getting the international community to donate this time has more to do with Pakistan being Muslim, and being demonised in the world press, as the US tries to find an excuse why their campaign is failing in Afghanistan....

I am basing my comment re: the slowness of donations from countries to the Pakistan emergency on interviews and comments made by representatives of UNICEF, World Vision, Medicin Sans Frontiere here in Australia - not on some politico/religious belief system
pobody is nerfect

WI vs SA Tests prediction guru
Bangladesh vs NZ Tests guru
2009 Champions League prediction guru
Winner 2009 AFL Tipping Competition
gollygosh

Postby sussexpob » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:24 pm

gollygosh wrote:
We also need to consider that while most of those implicated in spot-fixing are Pakistanis, other players from other coutnires have been implicated in the past, including Marlon Samuels from Jamaica and Australians Shane Warne and Mark Waugh. Does this also raise questions about the social and political cultures of Jamaica and Australia?

Shane Warne and Mark Waugh gave Pitch reports to "John the Bookie" - no more and certainly no less. As a result they were fined by Cricket Australia (an inadequate response in my view) and SKW had his card marked - never to captain Australia. So yes, Im damn happy to say it does say something about the social and political culture of Australia.

Golly,

Do you really believe that English and Australians never throw matches, and when they do get organised with bookmakers its only to give pitch information? Or is this selective reporting or investigation, centring around the unfair assumption that Pakistan are morally more corrupt than Western Countries.

I think what Mike was saying was inferring is true. That Asian countries are assumed to do this more, and when allegations are made, the idea that they are moral more bankrupt leads to more arrested and harder persuance.... and this in turn leads to the false assumption that they are worse at it.

I bet the truth is that every team has done it in the recent past.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby SaintPowelly » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:38 pm

sussexpob wrote:I bet the truth is that every team has done it in the recent past.

Thats your opinion, whereas with Pakistan it is more of an educated guess based on the controversies they have been involved in for a few years now
SaintPowelly

Postby Mr Popodopolous » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:33 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:for once I can't see the subcon cartel voting down the others.

Not sure what that has to do with anything- it's been quite common for us, Australia, New Zealand all to vote the same way. Voting blocs are common place.
Mr Popodopolous

Postby D/L » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:42 pm

When considering which teams’ players are more likely than others’ to conspire in this form of gambling, one needs to take into account where these types of bets are more likely to be made.

I doubt I would be able to go into Ladbroke’s and have them accept a bet that the first ball of the third over, for example, would be a no-ball, for example. This type of bet, however, is widely accepted in parts of the world where gambling is illegal and where there is TV coverage of the matches on which the bets are placed.

Another factor is how well international cricketers are paid. It is understandable that when they are paid poorly compared to their counterparts in other teams, that there will be a stronger temptation to lend their services to the people fixing the events.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby ddb » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:46 pm

4000 for man of the series seems so little in today's age.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby SaintPowelly » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:55 pm

Although they aren't on Tendulkar or Dhoni money, they are still paid more than enough money to live on.
SaintPowelly

Postby sussexpob » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:56 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:Although they aren't on Tendulkar or Dhoni money, they are still paid more than enough money to live on.

Wonder if the complete snub of Pakistan players in the IPL auction caused this a little.... after all, its stopping Pakistan's best players earning the highest level, and they were word champion quality before that Auction!
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby ddb » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:22 pm

Yes and if Pakistan players did play in the IPL, we'd have about 2000 more problems to deal with, especially at government level.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby GordoninPortsmouth » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:03 pm

sussexpob wrote:
SaintPowelly wrote:Although they aren't on Tendulkar or Dhoni money, they are still paid more than enough money to live on.

Wonder if the complete snub of Pakistan players in the IPL auction caused this a little.... after all, its stopping Pakistan's best players earning the highest level, and they were word champion quality before that Auction!

Quite possibly...It certainly crossed my mind...but thats not much of an excuse is it?
India vs England Tests guru

All that I could rule...but I don't check for fools.
All that I need is to be left to live my way...
GordoninPortsmouth

Team(s) Supported: Australia

Postby GordoninPortsmouth » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:09 pm

Mr Popodopolous wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:for once I can't see the subcon cartel voting down the others.

Not sure what that has to do with anything- it's been quite common for us, Australia, New Zealand all to vote the same way. Voting blocs are common place.

That was in response to me Mr Pops.

We all know that anything important at ICC level can be carried either for or against by the subcon cartel voting in one particular way. That could yet easily see all of this matching fixing accusations swept under the carpet IMO.

I remain sceptical Pak cricket will have to bear any pain for this from the ICC because at the end of the day Pak's vote is too important to the retaining the subcon cartels numerical supremacy over the white countries bloc. And when all is said and done that is more important to all the countries of the ICC than even an issue as shaming as match fixing.

Pathetic I know but I think that is the political reality.
India vs England Tests guru

All that I could rule...but I don't check for fools.
All that I need is to be left to live my way...
GordoninPortsmouth

Team(s) Supported: Australia

Postby Dimi » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:58 pm

This really takes the biscuit for 'journalism'

http://dailymailnews.com/0910/01/FrontPage/index1.php
Dimi

Postby SaintPowelly » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Dimi wrote:This really takes the biscuit for 'journalism'

http://dailymailnews.com/0910/01/FrontPage/index1.php

Whoever wrote that lives in a fantasy world