Jonathan Trott's stress illness

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Australia v England 1st Test; Brisbane, Nov 21-25

Postby rich1uk » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:24 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:Trott has had a long standing illness. This may mean he knew of it when he was scoring runs, so you cannot blame the selectors, if this was the case.

And of course, Trott's right to be selected without prejudice.

being devil's advocate here to a degree AC but is that correct ?

if he is suffering from a medical condition that may possibly affect his ability to perform at 100% then why if its a mental illness rather than something physical should it not be considered when determining if its appropriate to select him ?
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby D/L » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:29 pm

sussexpob wrote:
D/L wrote:I fail to see how comparisons with Trescothick are either ignorant or disrespectful, certainly not as ignorant as comments in which the comparison is dismissed and what could possibly be disrespectful about those that have been made here so far? As well as seeming to be sympathetic towards the problems that Trott is having, they are entirely valid.

What is less valid is the apparent view that, in highly paid professional sport, problems of this nature can or should be regarded in exactly the same way that a physical injury is. Recent experience should surely have taught everyone that lesson.

Maybe I am being overtly sensative, but D/L, its clear that even from the two comments you have made there is a complete lack of understanding in what you are saying.

I wont flood this thread with a long post about it.

Those who don’t understand are those who seem not to realise the importance of only picking players who are physically and, in this specific case, mentally fit to take part in a very demanding sport.

Also, if Trott’s condition is one of “long standing”, as we are told, the ECB need to answer the question why did they continue to select Trott after it was diagnosed. Doing so has certainly affected the team’s chances of success and, more importantly, may have worsened Trott’s condition.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby D/L » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:35 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:jesus christ D/L, Broad bowled well, he did. Can you only say good words about Yorkshire players? I imagine you feel Bairstow had a cracking test match? His drink carrying skills were explemery?

I'll stick to what I said before. Broad was the main (and random) beneficiary of some poor Aussie batting in their first innings. In no way, and not for the first time, was his performance particularly deserving of the figures he returned.

I think you’ll find that I praise any player who performs well.
D/L

Postby D/L » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:41 pm

m@tt wrote:
D/L wrote:
m@tt wrote:The next tour game is suddenly looking a lot more important. Top 7 must play, with Bresnan in for Broad as Broad is in decent rhythm. It won't be a match for Australia, but we need more time at the crease and more overs under our belts.

Once again, Broad’s figures were much better than his bowling. He could do with some improvement too.

I said decent not perfect. Bresnan needs to play to have any chance of playing in the second Test, but Tremlett needs overs in case Bresnan isn't match fit enough. So one bowler needs to drop out and Broad is in the best rhythm.

Yes, there are only so many places in the team for the game before the 2nd test, but that’s not to say that Broad doesn’t need to get in a bit more practice too.
D/L

Postby D/L » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:06 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Also, if Trott’s condition is one of “long standing”, as we are told, the ECB need to answer the question why did they continue to select Trott after it was diagnosed. Doing so has certainly affected the team’s chances of success and, more importantly, may have worsened Trott’s condition

Seriously D/L, if you dont know about this then I would prefer you dont comment. I fine the last part of the above quite staggering, and completely technically incorrect

All comments, provided they are expressed reasonably and without seeking to denigrate a player who has a genuine problem, are equally valid, so I’ll ignore your request to refrain from commenting.

You don’t think then that a player with a condition that may affect his ability to play the game and one which may have been brought about and later exacerbated by playing the game should be rested as soon as it is apparent? Now that I find truly staggering.
D/L

Re: Jonathan Trott's stress illness

Postby rich1uk » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:07 pm

sussexpob wrote:I dont really know how you can make sweeping judgements about a players capacity to perform based on something he is suffering from.

people aren't making sweeping judgements

his condition is bad enough for him to have to leave the tour so I cant see how its unreasonable to be questioning whether he was fit to play just 5 days ago , and whether playing him in that environment might have been harmful to him

and btw this is something I know a lot about , from personal experience, from studying it , and from working with people with mental health conditions
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Jonathan Trott's stress illness

Postby D/L » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:35 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:...But for the selectors to drop him as a caution against his problem getting worse would be bad management. Of course, we want Trott to play if he is in the right frame of mind

On the contrary, it now seems that it would have been a good thing for both the team and for Trott. In the face of the evidence, how many instances similar to this may it take before the optimistic, but quite possibly wrong, approach is guarded against?

What may have happened with Trott, and possibly with Trescothick, is that any professionals the ECB and/or the players may have consulted, would have been loath to make a recommendation that would affect a player’s livelihood (disregarding the strong possibility that they just didn’t know much about the player’s situation anyway).

On the wireless this morning, Surrey CC’s sports psychologist was interviewed and she spoke about making 16 and 17 year olds aware of potential future psychological problems for anyone making the grade in professional cricket. It seems to me that such discussions with such young players may actually make them think they are suffering from them whenever they experience a setback.
D/L

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:39 pm

Dr Robert wrote:Trott has had a long standing illness. This may mean he knew of it when he was scoring runs, so you cannot blame the selectors, if this was the case.

And of course, Trott's right to be selected without prejudice.

16.28. In response to Rich's post.

If Trott had suddenly discovered he had a stress related problem, then you would expect him to be left out the team and have his condition evaluated. If it is an ongoing problem then he should be having periodic assessments to judge if he is managing the problem. Isn't there a danger that players who have mental health issues will just be judged as being unsuitable for international cricket, even if they are actually capable of playing?

Obviously, there is a grey area here! England do assess their players for mental characteristics, and leave players out on this criterion. I suppose that's the difference between aptitude and disease.

Cricket has long had a link with depression and suicide. It's good to know that county staff are aware of potential problems, make it easier for young players to admit that they have problems, and have systems in place to help with them.
Last edited by Arthur Crabtree on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby KipperJohn » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Spot on sussex.
I can only go by my own experience of anxiety and depression which I have lived with all my life - it's part of what I am - but I don't believe it has stopped me achieving the goals and objectives set by my myself and others in both work and life.

Trott remains a world-class batsman - nothing has changed that - and for anyone to suggest at this stage that his international career is over beggars belief.
KipperJohn

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:22 pm

KipperJohn wrote:Spot on sussex.
I can only go by my own experience of anxiety and depression which I have lived with all my life - it's part of what I am - but I don't believe it has stopped me achieving the goals and objectives set by my myself and others in both work and life.

Trott remains a world-class batsman - nothing has changed that - and for anyone to suggest at this stage that his international career is over beggars belief.

I think I agree with this view the most.

And I really hope he will be back.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby pompeymeowth » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:27 pm

D/L wrote:On the wireless this morning, Surrey CC’s sports psychologist was interviewed and she spoke about making 16 and 17 year olds aware of potential future psychological problems for anyone making the grade in professional cricket. It seems to me that such discussions with such young players may actually make them think they are suffering from them whenever they experience a setback.

I suggest then, that you need to speak with this lady at length. She must be a fully qualified professional, she will explain it to you better than I ever could, but you are so misinformed it's frightening. Please, for goodness sake stop now, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
pompeymeowth

Team(s) Supported: Sussex. Cruzeiro and Pompey of course.

Postby D/L » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:34 pm

pompeymeowth wrote:
D/L wrote:On the wireless this morning, Surrey CC’s sports psychologist was interviewed and she spoke about making 16 and 17 year olds aware of potential future psychological problems for anyone making the grade in professional cricket. It seems to me that such discussions with such young players may actually make them think they are suffering from them whenever they experience a setback.

I suggest then, that you need to speak with this lady at length. She must be a fully qualified professional, she will explain it to you better than I ever could, but you are so misinformed it's frightening. Please, for goodness sake stop now, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

More likely, she is somebody in a fashionable “non-job” putting unnecessary fears into young, hopeful, cricket players.

For ignorant comments, I'd suggest you look a little closer to home.
D/L

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:36 pm

Makes you wonder if Mitchell Johnson has suffered from a similar illness, his game went completely off the boil and was subject to abuse from the Barmy Army in the last Ashes series down under.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Apparently there will be an updated The Verdict on Sky tonight discussing the subject.

For all those wondering what Bob Willis makes of this.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby pompeymeowth » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:53 pm

Thank you, for confirming what I suspected.
pompeymeowth

Team(s) Supported: Sussex. Cruzeiro and Pompey of course.

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket