Ashes debrief: The future of test cricket and Australia?

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Ashes debrief: The future of test cricket and Australia?

Postby alfie » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Think Siddle should have played this last Test. Though I'd have dropped Starc to fit him in , so perhaps it wasn't such a brilliant idea...

However I do feel that , at least outside Australian/South African conditions , it is a mistake to play both Johnson and Starc together. Yes they'll fire and win the odd match perhaps : but the run rates they tend to concede will probably cost more in the long run.
Seems sacrilege to suggest Johnson for the chop so soon after his peak year ; but Starc is the future , and I reckon it will be something like Starc/ Hazelwood /Cummins or Pattinson within the near future. Faulkner may also come into the mix.

As The Footman says , it is the batting that is the problem though. And that is not going to be an easy fix. You don't replace Clarke and Rogers - and even the underperforming but consistent maker of 30-50 , Watson - all at once and expect instant results.
Will be added pressure on Smith - who is already experiencing some such in his move up to three. He may be fine there back in Australia ; but I am not sure it is a great idea to expect him to carry out that role (along with the captaincy) everywhere. I guess it is English - or perhaps NZ - conditions that will test him most so they will probably leave him there. But they really do need to get a solid four to six in place ; and I don't see many of the players on this tour filling those
spots.

Runs in the Shield early in the coming season could be a passport to a test cap for quite a few young possibles...
alfie

Postby alfie » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:12 pm

By the wy , I'm surprised Arthur hasn't mentioned the obvious immediate solution to Australia's problem re Clarke retiring :

Fly in George Bailey :)
alfie

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:15 pm

I'm expecting Hussey and Katich to come out of retirement.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:06 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote:
Astonishingly, only four members of the team that hammered England, won in South Africa and looked so invincible 18 months ago are likely to be in the Australia side after the end of this series: Warner, Smith, Johnson and Lyon.

I think Starc and Hazlewood will still be around. Starc has not had a good series, but is a fine bowler.

Given that Australia seem to have plenty of other bowlers to whom they could turn, it's problematic for them that it has been the batting that has been astonishingly lacking.

I'm sure Starc and Hazlewood will stick around, but they weren't in the test side 18 months ago.

Rumour is that Siddle's pace is down and he doesn't have the penetration that he used to. I still think he should have played. Both Mitches are deadly in the southern hemisphere, but struggle elsewhere. Mitch J has an awesome record at home and in South Africa, but his record in England and the subcontinent is very poor.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:09 pm

On pitches that don't provide bounce, Johnson is significantly easier to face as you can look to get on the front foot to him with out having your teeth readjusted.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:10 pm

Hard to judge Mitch1 too harshly given the pitches were prepared, to some extent, to negate him.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:09 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Hard to judge Mitch1 too harshly given the pitches were prepared, to some extent, to negate him.

One 5 wicket haul in 11 matches in England, average approaching 40. I think there is more than an inkling to suggest that Johnson hasnt cut it in away Ashes series at all, and to be fair, hasnt attempted to learn how to bowl on English pitches. Cardiff had some uneven bounce and was two paced, and Edgbaston and Trent Bridge offered movement off lengths that troubled batsman. His return is not indicative of that, especially when Starc, Hazlewood, Broad, Finn and Anderson all have gone for wickets under the 30 mark.

Personally,I believe England are getting payback for Johnson's hype from the last series. He came here to bowl fast and short, and wasted conditions consistently. Even he seems to think the bouncer is his greatest asset, but in truth, I would say in the times I have seen him bowl well it has been his ability to late swing the full ball that really troubles batsman.

He can swing it both ways and reverse it. When he takes it away from you he gets so many players over extending into the shot as the ball moves so quickly and late, and he can make those lengths where you will drive slightly on the up deadly because of the bounce he generates. I would hazard a guess that at Perth when he took that 6/30 odd in 2010-11, every single wicket was full and at the stumps, and swung late intowards the batsman. My memories of South Africa in the late 2000's when he did brilliantly was also of a guy who swung the ball so late, he was scary.

We didnt see that here, even though others swung the ball consistently. He kept bowling way too short all series, never getting it up there and challenging the batsman.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:12 pm

Here is the innings I refer to..... only one short ball to Tremlett, the rest are all full balls at the stumps. Trott's dismissal is the most representative, Trott plays the line most batsman would go for, as the ball only comes in half way down.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:20 pm

I think I heard the commentators saying that he didn't bowl any short stuff at TB, though he may have been bowling a shorter, Australian length.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:46 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:I think I heard the commentators saying that he didn't bowl any short stuff at TB, though he may have been bowling a shorter, Australian length.

From the length bowled stats on Cricinfo it rates his bowling effort at 52 balls of bouncer or shorter lengths, 62 on a good length, 7 full length, and 2 yorkers..... a high proportion of shorter balls.

Those types of stats are not available until games played inside the last Aussie summer, so a comparison cant be made to any of his peak, as he hasnt taken a 5-for since. But his last 4for, vs India at Brisbane, certainly looks (cant be bothered to count all the balls this time) that there is a far lower percentage of bouncers, and much more full balls.

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:01 pm

It's a criticism that has been extended to Anderson and Broad at times at home. Not so much that they bowled bouncers, but that they bowled shorter than full. Particularly on the green top at Lord's last summer. At least this summer, they have often bowled well at a very full length particularly Broad this week. But then Hazlewood did bowl very full and got driven, because he wasn't getting as much movement.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:05 pm

Was there a lot of reverse in this series? I don't recall it being that much of a factor. Certainly not in Nottingham. I've heard ex pros say that they're really not sure how Johnson gets his swing. He seems to get help in Perth from the breeze, and otherwise gets reverse. A lot of the time in the whitewash, he just pushed the batter back and then got them driving late on a wide, slanting ball and edging. As he got Root a few times.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:27 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Was there a lot of reverse in this series? I don't recall it being that much of a factor. Certainly not in Nottingham. I've heard ex pros say that they're really not sure how Johnson gets his swing. He seems to get help in Perth from the breeze, and otherwise gets reverse. A lot of the time in the whitewash, he just pushed the batter back and then got them driving late on a wide, slanting ball and edging. As he got Root a few times.

It is bizarre how he gets that ball to swing at times, the seam is all over the place, but the truth is there is lots of example of games in which he has played were he has consistently swung the ball late when its new. He got one of Pakistan's openers recently in his first over with a ball that viciously swung in from a very full length. He can swing the new ball without it reversing. In 2009 when he took that 8-60 vs South Africa, he also bowled a lot of cutting balls that moved from the pitch to the right handers from good lengths. He has tricks to his game, I dont think that can be denied, but that guile to his game has been lost this series. I dont blame conditions for that.

On a similar note, I did read sometime this series ( I cant remember where) that Anderson is experimenting with seam position as there is a belief that the ball will swing later if the conventional positioning is not used. He has started to grip the seam with his fingers wider from the central seam, in order to encourage the ball to wobble in the air.... its not a fully understood science, but regardless of how it leaves Johnsons hand, he swings the ball, so it works.

sussexpob

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:17 pm

The amount of cricket Australia played since October, I am surprised the players are not burnt out.

October: 1 T20is, 3 ODIs and 2 Tests v Pakistan
November: 3 T20is and 5 ODIs v South Africa
December/January: 4 Tests v India
January/February: An ODI tri-series with India and England
February/March: Cricket World Cup
April/May: Some players on IPL duty
June: 2 Tests v West Indies
June/September: 5 tests, 5 ODIs and 1 T20i v England

Barely two weeks to recover

October: 2 tests v Bangladesh

One week downtime

November: 3 tests v New Zealand
December: 3 tests v West Indies
January: 3 T20is and 5 ODIs v India
February: mini away tour to New Zealand
March: 3 T20is v South Africa and World Twenty20 in India
April/May: IPL

Domestic players vying for a place in the Australia test squad will have little opportunity to get Sheffield Shield cricket in because the competition doesn't start until November, stops in December for the Big Bash and resumes again until February.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:39 pm

sussexpob wrote:
On a similar note, I did read sometime this series ( I cant remember where) that Anderson is experimenting with seam position as there is a belief that the ball will swing later if the conventional positioning is not used. He has started to grip the seam with his fingers wider from the central seam, in order to encourage the ball to wobble in the air.... its not a fully understood science, but regardless of how it leaves Johnsons hand, he swings the ball, so it works.

Isn't that just his Stuart Clark/Mo Asif wobble ball? He copied that off them. But it's to seam the ball rather than swing it. Maybe he discovered it swung as well.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket