The Clarke Captaincy

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: The Clarke Captaincy

Postby shankycricket » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:08 pm

People who are writing off Ponting,just look at Tendulkar guys.
Form is temporary,class is permanent.Punter is still a great player IMO.
He has at least another 3 yrs left in him.He looked in exellent touch in the ODIs btw.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby shankycricket » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:13 pm

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Postby Dimi » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:25 pm

from_the_stands wrote:Not neccesarily. The form of Phil Hughes has been a worry, probably since his second ever Test when he scored a century in each innings. What's he done since? :dunno Shaun Marsh opens for the Warriors, and had probably his best domestic season last year. Twatto seems to insist on wanting to continue opening. And Khawaja opened in a tour match recently and scored a century. Mike Hussey, too, could easily open, as he did earlier in his career. Now that Michael Clarke is in command, just maybe he will want to see some changes at the top of the order.

I thought the opening slots were divvied up between Davis, Robinson and the occasional Dutchman Swart with Marsh batting at 3? I do think though that in the Aussie team he'll be best opening in the long term with... Maddinson. Twatto should move down to 5 or 6 once Muss retires.
Dimi

Postby ddb » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:51 pm

shankybiggestengfan wrote:People who are writing off Ponting,just look at Tendulkar guys.
He has at least another 3 yrs left in him.He looked in exellent touch in the ODIs btw.

How many players have done what Tendulkar did?

Both have a year or two max.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby PardonWonTheCup » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:13 pm

ddb wrote:
shankybiggestengfan wrote:People who are writing off Ponting,just look at Tendulkar guys.

How many players have done what Tendulkar did?

Both have a year or two max.

In Punter's last 3 years, he has averaged 38.5. That's over 34 matches. That's a long time to be not doing particularly well and batting at 3.

Go back 4 years which gives him 43 matches and his average is still only 40.57.

All this class is permanent stuff doesn't mean a lot when you look at the bald stats. He doesn't really score tons very often anymore and against proper quick bowling he'll get himself out sooner rather than later top-edging the pull shot as he can't control the instincts there. Second innings last test was a bloody text book example and the bowler wasn't even quick.

Punter is ok at ODI, he has never had a poor run there, but his test career is a different story and it is one of the reasons why the Aussies collapse so much. Once the openers are gone, the dominos start tumbling.

If Punter is still not pulling his weight by the end of the Indian series (I'd prefer the end of the SA series, but I'm not that much of an optimist) and making no noises about retirement apart from saying that 'he can't see the end', I hope there is enough ruthlessness around to stick the knife in as the Argus report may as well not have happened if they are going to let him call time himself.

I'd like Clarke himself to do it so we can hear Punter say 'Et tu, Brutus?' or at least, 'Jeez, Pup, deadset, I thought we were mates.'
But men must know, that in this theatre of man's life it is reserved only for Gods and angels to be lookers on.
Francis Bacon
PardonWonTheCup

Team(s) Supported: Australian cricket team.

Postby OffStumpYorker » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:01 am

I didn't realise Marsh opened for his state, so he could be an alternate to Hughes, who frankly has done bugger all since he was found out against short fast bowling.

still argue that Ponting is counting the time, and really only stuck around after relinquishing the captaincy as he didn't see anyone challenging, now marsh has stepped up, Punter must be feeling the noose, tightening around his neck, what may save him is the lack of form of Hughes and Khawaja, though Hughes is probably closer to the chopping block than Khawaja.

Its going to be interesting to see how the selectors handle the situation, for the third test, do they tell punter to stay in aus with his family if for the third test, or do they drop hughes and put marsh in at the top, with punter back in at first drop.
'To Beer or Not to Beer, that is the Question, whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The hangover and pains of outrageous lager'
OffStumpYorker

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, England (naturally), Sheffield Wednesday (for my sins)

Postby shankycricket » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:26 am

ddb
I am not for even one second suggesting that Punter is as good as Sachin.But he is still a great player and he has shown get great signs all tour without really pushing on.I just get the feeling that a big score is somewhere round the corner sooner rather than later.And as an England fan,I would not like to see a hungry for runs Punter in the Aussie team come the next Ashes.So I still rate him.Still a great player IMO.

Average of 41 is not terrible by any stretch of imagination.The fact that we feel it is poor just shows goes to show the high standards that he has set for himself.He isnt living upto those high standards but he is not doing poor by normal standards and as I said I have a feeling he is about to enter a purple patch maybe against India later this year :hide

shankycricket

Postby Stroller95 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:55 am

Smarsh is not a regular opener for WA. He has been batting at 3 and 4.

I don't like to say it, but I reckon Khawaja is going to get out cheaply trying to push the runrate along this afternoon, and he will be replaced by Ponting.

Still, nice to have a couple of proper test prospects looking for a place. The last time this sort of thing happened, I think, was when Marcus North had his hat in the ring as as all-rounder.
Stroller95

Team(s) Supported: Australia, NSW Blues, Penrith Panthers NRL.

Postby PardonWonTheCup » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:57 am

Stroller95 wrote:Smarsh is not a regular opener for WA. He has been batting at 3 and 4.

I don't like to say it, but I reckon Khawaja is going to get out cheaply trying to push the runrate along this afternoon, and he will be replaced by Ponting.

Still, nice to have a couple of proper test prospects looking for a place. The last time this sort of thing happened, I think, was when Marcus North had his hat in the ring as as all-rounder.

Ugh, I'm trying to take comfort in the perverse fact that North could score tons ok, he just wasn't any use inbetween times as I keep comparing him and Marsh and hoping that this isn't another false start.
But men must know, that in this theatre of man's life it is reserved only for Gods and angels to be lookers on.
Francis Bacon
PardonWonTheCup

Postby meninblue » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:57 am

Sachin was to be dropped as some posters on CMS posted here years before. I was shocked when i read those posts. So posts suggesting Ponting, Warne, Lara to be dropped are now/were bearable putting that into context.

The opponent cricketers are professionals as well and they will sometimes make your decisions look silly. As far as blunders or captaincy mistakes i have seen Clarke do only two of them.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby shankycricket » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:03 am

sportbloggeradi wrote:

Sachin was to be dropped as some posters on CMS posted here years before. I was shocked when i read those posts. So posts suggesting Ponting, Warne, Lara to be dropped are now/were bearable putting that into context.

The opponent cricketers are professionals as well and they will sometimes make your decisions look silly. As far as blunders or captaincy mistakes i have seen Clarke do only two of them.

Thats exactly what I am saying Adi.

shankycricket

Postby shankycricket » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:08 am

Another thing

People say Ponting's average of 41 in the last 4 years(his leanest patch) is equivalent to Strauss' career average who is rightfully regarded as a very good batsman.So why is Ponting's record poor in the last 4 years?

shankycricket

Postby PardonWonTheCup » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:09 am

shankybiggestengfan wrote:ddb
I am not for even one second suggesting that Punter is as good as Sachin.But he is still a great player and he has shown get great signs all tour without really pushing on.I just get the feeling that a big score is somewhere round the corner sooner rather than later.And as an England fan,I would not like to see a hungry for runs Punter in the Aussie team come the next Ashes.So I still rate him.Still a great player IMO.

Average of 41 is not terrible by any stretch of imagination.The fact that we feel it is poor just shows goes to show the high standards that he has set for himself.He isnt living upto those high standards but he is not doing poor by normal standards and as I said I have a feeling he is about to enter a purple patch maybe against India later this year :hide

Over the last 2 years which is over 17 matches he's averaged 35. It's a long slow downward slope which he doesn't appear to be able to halt.

We'll have to see if this vaunted Renaissance takes place. He's 37 in December so he's going to have to get a move on.
Francis Bacon
PardonWonTheCup

Postby PardonWonTheCup » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:11 am

shankybiggestengfan wrote:Another thing

People say Ponting's average of 41 in the last 4 years(his leanest patch) is equivalent to Strauss' career average who is rightfully regarded as a very good batsman.So why is Ponting's record poor in the last 4 years?

I've posted another, another thing below. That 41 is including the furthest away year which was his best year out of the four. Since then, it's been pretty much down hill.
Francis Bacon
PardonWonTheCup

Postby Stroller95 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:14 am

Marsh would have been selected ahead of both North and Hughes if he had not had those 2 hamstring tears. He was headed straight to the test team before the injury, I reckon.
Stroller95

Team(s) Supported: Australia, NSW Blues, Penrith Panthers NRL.

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket