Indian ODI team - buidling to WC in Aus

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: India the Future?

Postby andy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:01 pm

shankybiggestengfan wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:yh so do i....he stopped playing them after the world cup, and now suddenly he's really after this 100, he started playing them again :no

give rahane a chance ;)

:facepalm

shanky, you moan at me for not giving reasons, but then all you have done there is facepalmed my comment, without giving any reasons for that...
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby ddb » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:56 pm

With all the Jadeja talk after his performances at home vs England/WI. He averages 233 with the ball in this series and 18.6 with the bat - nice. At least Pathan showed some signs that he was getting his batting back up to scratch the other day, as many have said before - he'd be great to have for India in the next WC as an all rounder.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Re: Indian ODI team - buidling to WC in Aus

Postby Making_Splinters » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:01 pm

I read through the Ganguly penned piece linked earlier in this thread, and though I do find Ganguly's work to be laced with personal subtext, he outlines what could potentially be a problem for Indian Cricket with one eye on 2015 from a very obtuse perspective: No one is going to tell Tendulkar to go.

I would hasten to add I don't think that is actually ever going to be a problem, unless you buy into this oft repeated nonsense about Tendulkar being a selfish person.

India have on paper a lot of players around who can really add to the team, let us not forget that Yuvraj will hopefully be back playing cricket at some stage, so there is need for any panic or hyperbole.

I would suggest that India need nothing more than a period of time to sit down and take stock of what has happened, what is happening, and what they want to happen; that is not something you can do under the media spotlight on tour.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby vindalf » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:03 am

cricketfan90 wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:yh so do i....he stopped playing them after the world cup, and now suddenly he's really after this 100, he started playing them again :no

give rahane a chance ;)

shanky, you moan at me for not giving reasons, but then all you have done there is facepalmed my comment, without giving any reasons for that...

I don't think that comment deserves much more than a :facepalm but let me try anyway.

Tendulkar has played 17 one day matches total in the last three years by my reckoning. He's generally been picky about them, opting to play against the better teams, in meaningful games, or in tougher conditions. That means playing in the World Cup, in South Africa and in Australia. I might add at this point that the rest of the batting hasn't been so hot in South Africa and Australia. With me so far?

1 - He hasn't 'stopped playing them' (your wise words in bold) after the world cup. At no point did he suggest that he was quitting.
2 - He isn't 'suddenly really after this 100'. That's been in the offing a while now. He could've opted to play some garbage home one-dayers if he wished.
3 - His potential replacements haven't set the world on fire away from home. Rahane tailed away after a bright start. Rohit and Raina are finding conditions too hot to handle right now.
4 - In case you haven't noticed, batting has been hard work (rightly so!) all summer. There have been *zero* centuries and *zero* 300 plus scores. There's definitely a bit in it for the bowlers (especially with 2 new balls) in every game and that 100th isn't a gimme.

In summary, Tendulkar might well be past it for one-dayers, but to suggest that he's suddenly playing these games at the cost of a better player just so that he can get a gimme 100 is ... well ... :facepalm
vindalf

Postby andy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:57 am

well thanks for explaning vindalf :thumb
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

andy

West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby shankycricket » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:41 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:

give rahane a chance ;)

Read DDB and Vindalf's post.I personally dont think a comment suggesting that one of the most selfless and greatest batsman of All Time is playing ODIs just to get that one century deserved anything more than a facepalm.
Are you ignorant of the fact that he was picked for the England ODIs?

For the record,let me tell you that BCCI was insisting that he play in ODIs against WI to get that 100th century but he declined as he wanted him to be in top condition(fitness wise) for the Oz tour.
Very selfish isnt it? :facepalm
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby shankycricket » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:47 pm

vindalf wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:

give rahane a chance ;)

I don't think that comment deserves much more than a :facepalm but let me try anyway.

Tendulkar has played 17 one day matches total in the last three years by my reckoning. He's generally been picky about them, opting to play against the better teams, in meaningful games, or in tougher conditions. That means playing in the World Cup, in South Africa and in Australia. I might add at this point that the rest of the batting hasn't been so hot in South Africa and Australia. With me so far?

1 - He hasn't 'stopped playing them' (your wise words in bold) after the world cup. At no point did he suggest that he was quitting.
2 - He isn't 'suddenly really after this 100'. That's been in the offing a while now. He could've opted to play some garbage home one-dayers if he wished.
3 - His potential replacements haven't set the world on fire away from home. Rahane tailed away after a bright start. Rohit and Raina are finding conditions too hot to handle right now.
4 - In case you haven't noticed, batting has been hard work (rightly so!) all summer. There have been *zero* centuries and *zero* 300 plus scores. There's definitely a bit in it for the bowlers (especially with 2 new balls) in every game and that 100th isn't a gimme.

In summary, Tendulkar might well be past it for one-dayers, but to suggest that he's suddenly playing these games at the cost of a better player just so that he can get a gimme 100 is ... well ... :facepalm

He was also picked for the England ODIs but as DDB said earlier,he broke his foot which is why he also missed the Champs League T20 and the home ODIs against England but sadly CF chose to ignore that.
Sachin has always played ODIs outside the subcontinent except West Indies.And I hope he plays the next WC because the youngsters barring Kohli look out of depth.

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Postby andy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:50 pm

hopefully PK will be playing for india in the next world cup....he is one of their best bowlers IMO, shame he has struggled with injury recently, but IMO, him and zak would be the first bowlers names on the teamsheet in all forms of the game.

andy

West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby ddb » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:52 pm

But Zak can't play the next WC...should retire now of course. I think he's chasing 300 ODI wickets because he hasn't played ODI's since the WC.

#chipfirmlyonshoulder
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby GGAS » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:59 pm

ddb wrote:But Zak can't play the next WC...should retire now of course. I think he's chasing 300 ODI wickets because he hasn't played ODI's since the WC.

I agree 100% ddb. One of your finest posts thus far ;)
A man convinced against his will is a man of the same opinion still.

Fantasy Leagues:
IPL 4
2011 British Open
2011 Pak vs SL Tests
2011-12 SA vs SL Tests
2012 SL vs Pak ODIs
2012 Eng vs Aus ODIs
2013 SA vs NZ combined
2013 Oz vs WI ODIs
2014 Big Bash League
2013-14 Premier League [external]
2014 WI-Bang combined
2018 Bangladesh Tri Series
2018 Football World Cup
2018 England vs India Tests
2019 USPGA Championship
GGAS

Postby andy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:01 pm

how long do you think dhoni will go on for?

next world cup and then stop perhaps? :dunno

andy

West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby braveneutral » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:15 am

cricketfan90 wrote:

give rahane a chance ;)

Read DDB and Vindalf's post.I personally dont think a comment suggesting that one of the most selfless and greatest batsman of All Time is playing ODIs just to get that one century deserved anything more than a facepalm.

For the record,let me tell you that BCCI was insisting that he play in ODIs against WI to get that 100th century but he declined as he wanted him to be in top condition(fitness wise) for the Oz tour.

Technically that is selfish as he was asked by his board to play some ODIs to make India stronger. His refusal meant India fielded a weaker side, so thus because he wanted to be in top condition and he refused to play the WI ODIs, then yes it is selfish.

#justsaying
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby shankycricket » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:21 am

braveneutral wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:

give rahane a chance ;)

Technically that is selfish as he was asked by his board to play some ODIs to make India stronger. His refusal meant India fielded a weaker side, so thus because he wanted to be in top condition and he refused to play the WI ODIs, then yes it is selfish.

#justsaying

But I was told that he is desperately after his 100.If he was,then surely he would have looked to get it against the West Indies.But he didnt want to risk injury ahead of the Australia tour.
The fact that he plays only the 'tough away' ODIs instead of fillnig his boots in the home ODIs just shows how unselfish he is.If he was worried about his records then he would not miss home ODIs against weak sides.

shankycricket

Postby braveneutral » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:07 pm

No I understand exactly what both of you are trying to say - just that as it is SRT, he can be portrayed as selfish from both points of view!
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby shankycricket » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:48 pm

So the T20 WC campaign was a failed one. Not that we didn't play well but when we did play badly, it all went horribly wrong. The next major limited overs tournament is the next year's Champions Trophy. We are a better ODI side than T20 but results in the ODI series in England last year and in the CB series suggest that there is still work to be done in overseas conditions. England have done well at home on the back of a solid top 3. Whilst their top 3 is not exactly ideal for ODIs, I think it is indeed important to have a bit of solidity in the top 3 in those conditions particularly with the 2 new balls rule. Pujara has done exceptionally for India A in England and is in excellent form at the moment. I'd be tempted to give him a go at the top of the order instead of Viru.

shankycricket

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket