Your Papers.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Your Papers.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:18 pm

Funny comment from Mike Selvey on OBO. When they were discussing what they call their wives/etc. Like sweetheart, or piglet... Selvey said 'Oh, I just call my wife 'Selve''.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby ddb » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:33 pm

Don't read the article on Chappell on cricinfo unless you want a stereotypical hate filled piece which is generally incorrect, heavily prejudiced and probably not going to sell his book unless it's to burn.

Here's the link if you want that anyway: http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/conte ... 56548.html

The Poms (British) taught them really well to keep their head down. For if someone was deemed to be responsible, they'd get punished. So the Indians have learned to avoid responsibility. So before taking responsibility for any decisions, they prefer not to."

Should have never got independence. Ok. Plus if he's seriously suggesting Dravid, Tendulkar, VVS do not like Test cricket, I think he's let his grudge override his sanity, just a bit. Probably just a huge troll that failed as it has caused cricinfo commenter's to agree with it :lol:

I don't think Shanky has enough facepalms in the world for it all.

Anyone think Cricinfo has become a bit tabloid like?
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:56 pm

ddb wrote:

I thought I said that about George and you disagreed with me....

Don't know whether to take your advice about not reading it or to click on that handy link.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:11 pm

Read it. Thought it was going to be Ian Chappell.

The stuff about Dhoni and perhaps Sehwag, seems fair enough. He knows them, so he's entitled to an opinion.

The BCCI prioritising limited overs, above Test cricket (as it makes more money) isn't an original point. Haigh was saying that the BCCI is a collection of politicians who might not have the health of the world game, and Test cricket, as its priority.

The wider cultural points don't stand up to scrutiny at all. Clearly Chappell still carries around some resentment from his time in India and feels his reputation suffered unfairly. But to accuse Indian society of lacking leadership, involving the Empire, and suggesting implications for the cricket team probably isn't his area.

It is also possible I suppose that he was stitched up by the cricinfo journalist.

Imagine it's a bit lively below the line.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby ddb » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:37 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
ddb wrote:

I thought I said that about George and you disagreed with me....

Don't know whether to take your advice about not reading it or to click on that handy link.

I don't think it's George though. Look at the coverage of the Sehwag/Dhoni "rift" to see how conveniently quoted those things were. And the journo still deluded himself that there was a huge rift when cricinfo published the full press statements. Not just a disagreement. Same journo wrote this piece on Chappell btw.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby shankycricket » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Are we blaming George for an article which he didnt even write? :panic

BTW ddb,I didnt understand that facepalm comment :oops:
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:49 pm

I do think that George has been unfortunate with his rather extreme headlines. Of course, they are not written by the journo in papers. I don't know who writes them for cricinfo.

The comment below the line that I read is actually quite calm on that Chappell piece.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:54 pm

ddb wrote: Look at the coverage of the Sehwag/Dhoni "rift" to see how conveniently quoted those things were. And the journo still deluded himself that there was a huge rift when cricinfo published the full press statements. Not just a disagreement. Same journo wrote this piece on Chappell btw.

So the journo might have pulled out a load of controversial lines and then denied them their context. Trouble with cricinfo is that you don't know who is writing the article before you click on it. So you can't withhold your click from someone you don't trust.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:01 pm

It's also possible that Greg Chappell heard this 'leadership' hypothesis from Indian people when employed there, and repeated it as a credible explanation for the poor tour they had in Australia.

Doesn't explain the WC win though.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby shankycricket » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Tbh people have completely misinterpreted George's article on KP.
He himself wasnt calling for KP to be dropped.He said that Flower's post match press conference just gave him that indication.And thats what he wrote in his article.Not his views on KP but what he reckons Flower might do.
I asked him on Twitter a day before the Test squad was announced whether he'd drop Morgan and he said he would give him another chance.
Not exactly the reaction of a kneejerker.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby braveneutral » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:03 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:It's also possible that Greg Chappell heard this 'leadership' hypothesis from Indian people when employed there, and repeated it as a credible explanation for the poor tour they had in Australia.

That's because Tomorrow Never Dies.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:14 pm

I thought he was trying to disingenuously have his cake and eat it on the KP thing, but I can't say for certain that I'm right.

What drew him to my attention was, pre series, saying England were obvious favourites, to the point of rather emotively saying that they would be under the English boot, and them writing England off after the first Test. To be so dismissive of Pakistan seemed curious for someone supposed to be en expert.

The England side were called one of the best four sides of all time by George going into the series, yet he seemed to lose confidence at the first setback.

Possibly I read the KP article in that context. I felt he was using the words of others in order to criticise Pietersen. Maybe he didn't. it looked that way to me.

He also has described people who happen to disagree with him as 'simply wrong'. Which is patronising.

Anyway, I don't read his articles anymore, which is the only power I have. Quite reasonable posters say he is a good journalist. And if they say so, I accept he may be so. But there's a lot to read out there, and I've decided not to read him. And to stop criticising him. I'm doing it for the last time for your benefit, shanky....!
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:18 pm

Clearly, the world cup is not enough.

braveneutral wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:It's also possible that Greg Chappell heard this 'leadership' hypothesis from Indian people when employed there, and repeated it as a credible explanation for the poor tour they had in Australia.

Arthur Crabtree

Postby ddb » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:20 pm

I read people after the test series on twitter questioning his best team thing. He said it was an article where he was meant to create a reaction and didn't know it was going to be bylined.

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Clearly, the world cup is not enough.

braveneutral wrote:

And we got to No.1...
Intent

ddb

Postby braveneutral » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:28 pm

Good one Mildred.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket