How Good Is Timothy Bresnan?

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: How Good Is Timothy Bresnan?

Postby yorker_129-7 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:14 pm

To try and be diplomatic about this, Bresnan is the better batsman at the moment (although I would never bat him higher than seven), however Broad has a greater potential to be a high-class batsman going forward.

To suggest either is in any way a shoddy batsman is to do them a disservice in my opinion. England are very fortunately to have, in their likely first XI, quality batting down to 9 and with a more than useful batsman (Swann) coming in at 10. Even Jimmy is no rabbit.
Anything can happen with a round ball.

Coz we're going up, and we'll win the cup, for Sussex by the Sea!

2011 Australian Open tennis prediction guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 Pakistan vs. West Indies prediction guru
2012 England vs. South Africa test predictions guru
2015 French Open tennis prediction guru
yorker_129-7

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:45 pm

i don't think anyone could claim that Bresnan has Broad's finesse. Bresnan is well organised and disciplined, but he times the ball like a bowler. Broad times the ball like someone with talent, but he lacks the will to build an innings, and he recklessly goes aerial too often. I'd say Broad has the ability to be a better batter, but may not have the character. Bresnan thinks more like a batter but lacks the gift. Probably they'll do as well as each other.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:46 pm

kallis and Sobers are all rounders. You can be an all rounder without being world class at both disciplines.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby HarryPotter » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:05 pm

yorker_129-7 wrote:To try and be diplomatic about this, Bresnan is the better batsman at the moment (although I would never bat him higher than seven), however Broad has a greater potential to be a high-class batsman going forward.

To suggest either is in any way a shoddy batsman is to do them a disservice in my opinion. England are very fortunately to have, in their likely first XI, quality batting down to 9 and with a more than useful batsman (Swann) coming in at 10. Even Jimmy is no rabbit.

Very good analysis.

:thumb
Ian Bell: first England player to 10,000 Test runs.
Stuart Broad: first England player to 400 test wickets.
HarryPotter

Postby HarryPotter » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:08 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:Kallis and Sobers are the best all-rounders to have played the game, and to question their role as an allrounder is ridiclous IMO.

Well we can disagree then.

However Kallis would never get picked as a front line bowler.

Sobers was, but frankly as a bowler did not perform as a front line.

So in my eyes they cant be Test all rounders as they would not be front line bowlers / did not perform as such.
HarryPotter

Postby ddb » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:21 pm

Wow...not sure what to reply to that.

Who's the greatest all rounder in your opinion? Seems to me you've ruled all of them out.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby HarryPotter » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:36 pm

I would only consider post WW2 as before that its so hard to keep perspective.

However, thats sort of my point, the strict criteria of all rounder in Tests is almost impossible to achieve. Players have done it for portions of their career, players have achieved it with bith disciplines, but at different times. But players capable of front line bowling and batting top 6 in Tests are few and far between.

Imran
Miller
Botham (first half of his career only)

I never said my expectations were reasonable.....
HarryPotter

Postby ddb » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:44 pm

So pointless...ok.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby OffStumpYorker » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:28 pm

HarryPotter wrote:I would only consider post WW2 as before that its so hard to keep perspective.

However, thats sort of my point, the strict criteria of all rounder in Tests is almost impossible to achieve. Players have done it for portions of their career, players have achieved it with bith disciplines, but at different times. But players capable of front line bowling and batting top 6 in Tests are few and far between.

Imran
Miller

Sober and Kallis are superior to Miller and Botham, and Imrans batting really only came of age in the later part of his career. This is how I'd rate the All rounders since WWII

1.Sobers
2.Kallis
3.Imran
4.Millar
5.Benaud
6.Botham
7.Dev
8.Pollock
9.Hadlee
10.Cairns

Barry Richards could arguably have been in the top 10, but he never really had a test career due to Aphartied.
'To Beer or Not to Beer, that is the Question, whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The hangover and pains of outrageous lager'
OffStumpYorker

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, England (naturally), Sheffield Wednesday (for my sins)

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:35 pm

Proctor? Barlow? (instead of Richards?)

Nice to see Geoff Miller rated so high for both disciplines.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:46 am

Broad is more of a swashbuckling batsman whilst Bresnan is more gritty and will protect the wickets of his batting partner and himself.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby OffStumpYorker » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:50 am

Mildred Plotka wrote:Proctor? Barlow? (instead of Richards?)

Nice to see Geoff Miller rated so high for both disciplines.

Proctor like Richards never really had the chance to shine at the highest level. Which Barlow are you refering to Mildred?
'To Beer or Not to Beer, that is the Question, whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The hangover and pains of outrageous lager'
OffStumpYorker

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, England (naturally), Sheffield Wednesday (for my sins)

Postby HarryPotter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:31 am

OffStumpYorker wrote:
HarryPotter wrote:I would only consider post WW2 as before that its so hard to keep perspective.

Imran
Miller

Sober and Kallis are superior to Miller and Botham, and Imrans batting really only came of age in the later part of his career. This is how I'd rate the All rounders since WWII

1.Sobers
2.Kallis
3.Imran
4.Millar
5.Benaud
6.Botham
7.Dev
8.Pollock
9.Hadlee
10.Cairns

Barry Richards could arguably have been in the top 10, but he never really had a test career due to Aphartied.

By my particularly strict definition Sobers and Kallis cannot make it because they were not front line bowlers.

5-10 were not top 6 batsmen, except for Botham early in his career (first half) and even that was in a poor England side.

You seem to rate batting greatness over bowling greatness.

Barry Richards was a very PT bowler? I think yuou mean Procter. You could argue that over others like Rice I guess but unless you have performed at Test level its a difficult arguement to make. Procter didnt perform as a batsman in the few Tests he had, though you could argue he had little chance batting down the order.
HarryPotter

Postby OffStumpYorker » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:44 am

Kallis Bowls an average of 12.3 overs per Innings, Sobers bowled 22.3 overs per test, in comparrison to say Botham who bowled 21.3 overs per innings, and Imran who bowled 22.8 overs per Innings.

So I can see you point about Kallis, however Kallis doesnt bowl regularly due to the Saffa's have a resonable pace attack with Donald and Pollock, then Steyn and Morkle, now with Philander and De lange in the unit he bowls even less. However, Basedon the amount of overs he bowled Sobers on par with Botham and Imran in terms of being considered a front line bowler.

Unless you have another definition of front line.
OffStumpYorker

Postby HarryPotter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:44 am

On Imran specifically he averaged 44 with the bat and 19 with the ball during the 80s.

From 83 onwards he maintained his cumulative batting average at 40+. This was in the 80s when a top line batsman averaging 40+ was a very good player.

Yes he stopped bowling at the end of his career and was fabulous with the bat but it should not take away from his batting performances earlier.

If you can find a similar 10 year period where Sobers or Kallis averaged under 30 with the ball (while averaging 50+ with the bat, their main area) I will happily agree they are better ARs.

You could argue that Imran didnt contrinute weight of runs like a top order batsman would have (in the 80s 3500 runs from 50 Tests would be reasonable, he got 2500) so thats why my expectation of batting ARs is 3 wickets a match, not 4 which you would look for from a front line bowler.

I dont think you will find Sobers or Kallis taking 3 wickets a match at sub 30 for a 10 year period which is why I rate Imrans AR performance so highly.
HarryPotter

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket