Greatest ODI XI of all-time

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Greatest ODI XI of all-time

Postby sussexpob » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:32 pm

The Waugh Twins wrote:Richard Hadlee is not even there. :lmao

That's done it for me. He's considered one of the greatest all rounders the sport has ever seen.

Indeed, but his econ rate was from another era, and would he replicate it? How would he bowl to a hardened T20 player who Dillscooped him, or to players who have learnt to smash consistent line and length bowling into the stands??

I doubt a lot of old guys who placed it on a dot would fair that well.... you have to be creative and tactical with your bowling now as batsman are so much better.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby The Waugh Twins » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:37 pm

Same old argument "the game's changed", "the bats are bigger", "petrol is more expensive" and "I can't get a decent cup of coffee on a plane". :)

There is no Bradman either. Yeah he would have sucked at one day cricket. :lmaoagain
The Waugh Twins

Team(s) Supported: United, Giants, Yankees, Galaxy, Oz cricket, CollyWobles

Postby The Waugh Twins » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:41 pm

sussexpob wrote:

That's done it for me. He's considered one of the greatest all rounders the sport has ever seen.

Indeed, but his econ rate was from another era, and would he replicate it? How would he bowl to a hardened T20 player who Dillscooped him, or to players who have learnt to smash consistent line and length bowling into the stands??

I doubt a lot of old guys who placed it on a dot would fair that well.... you have to be creative and tactical with your bowling now as batsman are so much better.

Same old argument. :sleep

What if????

You're just guessing. That's like saying Bolt would have beaten Owens if he had run in the 40's. :roll:
The Waugh Twins

Postby The Waugh Twins » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:45 pm

The Waugh Twins wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

Same old argument. :sleep

What if????

You're just guessing. That's like saying Bolt would have beaten Owens if he had run in the 40's. :roll:

Yeah but wouldn't he have to be like Benjamin Button?
The Waugh Twins

Postby sussexpob » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:49 pm

Check old footage of football (English) and you see that players of "immense" skill in the 50's to even 70's are players who are on par with the average League Two striker nowadays.....

Sports evolve, and the evolution of ODI cricket for all sections of the game have changed. Fielding is out of this world better, Batters have learnt to score off everything, and bowlers can no longer march in and bowl test match like lines, because they get taken apart. That isn't guessing, its an evolution that is apparent.

Saying Bradman would have been good in ODI's now is also a guess..... regardless of the arguments that he faced "quick bowlers", the simple fact is modern athletes are stronger and more explosive, so he might have struggled with the extra pace from nowadays (cue someone telling us that a 30's bowler was the fastest ever because "x" batsman from the era says so even though science proves it wrong)

Jessie Owens was no doubt the fastest sprinter in 1936.... but wouldn't qualify for the Olympics now
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:22 pm

Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Waugh
Bevan
Hussey
Warne
Lee
McGrath

Just need to decide which 2 Aussies will take the remaining 2 slots
2024 Indian Premier League FL
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby The Waugh Twins » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:29 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Waugh
Bevan
Hussey
Warne
Lee
McGrath

Just need to decide which 2 Aussies will take the remaining 2 slots

You wouldn't need any more, they could win with nine. :)
Last edited by The Waugh Twins on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Waugh Twins

Postby The Waugh Twins » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:31 pm

sussexpob wrote:Check old footage of football (English) and you see that players of "immense" skill in the 50's to even 70's are players who are on par with the average League Two striker nowadays.....

Sports evolve, and the evolution of ODI cricket for all sections of the game have changed. Fielding is out of this world better, Batters have learnt to score off everything, and bowlers can no longer march in and bowl test match like lines, because they get taken apart. That isn't guessing, its an evolution that is apparent.

Saying Bradman would have been good in ODI's now is also a guess..... regardless of the arguments that he faced "quick bowlers", the simple fact is modern athletes are stronger and more explosive, so he might have struggled with the extra pace from nowadays (cue someone telling us that a 30's bowler was the fastest ever because "x" batsman from the era says so even though science proves it wrong)

Jessie Owens was no doubt the fastest sprinter in 1936.... but wouldn't qualify for the Olympics now

Do you work for the BBC?
The Waugh Twins

Postby The Waugh Twins » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:36 pm

Bradman scored his runs at an extremely fast rate often if you do a little research. If he were around today on these wickets he would have been laughing all the way to the bank.

Have you ever batted on a green wicket? Not fun I can tell you, not fun at all.
The Waugh Twins

Postby The Waugh Twins » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:52 pm

Dr Robert wrote:Sir Richard Hadlee has been overlooked. A bowling average of 21 and an econ of 3.3. A handy number 8/9 as well.

Yep the list lacks research.

Steve Waugh captained Australia to 20 wins in a row at one stage if my memory serves me correctly. That is likely why He is there, not to mention the world cups he was involved in. On batting ability alone though it would be tough to select me, but I would because I understand that cricket is not just all about slogging the ball.
The Waugh Twins

Postby The Waugh Twins » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:55 pm

Gilchrist
Tendulkar
The Don
The Master Blaster
Steve Waugh
Punter
Botham
Warne
Spofforth
Lindwall
Garner

That's my first team of 15 different first teams I will come up with.
The Waugh Twins

Postby The Waugh Twins » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:58 pm

I just realized there's no Tavere. :no
The Waugh Twins

Postby The Waugh Twins » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:03 pm

The Waugh Twins wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:Sir Richard Hadlee has been overlooked. A bowling average of 21 and an econ of 3.3. A handy number 8/9 as well.

Yep the list lacks research.

Steve Waugh captained Australia to 20 wins in a row at one stage if my memory serves me correctly. That is likely why He is there, not to mention the world cups he was involved in. On batting ability alone though it would be tough to select me, but I would because I understand that cricket is not just all about slogging the ball.

That was under Ponting Steve, but you did lay the foundation. ;)
The Waugh Twins

Postby Making_Splinters » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:28 pm

sussexpob wrote:Check old footage of football (English) and you see that players of "immense" skill in the 50's to even 70's are players who are on par with the average League Two striker nowadays.....

To be honest, I don't buy much of that. Physical fitness doesn't have all that much to do with the pace bowlers bowl at, nothing to do with the skill a spinner has, and very little to do with the skill of a batsmen. The only significant improvement has been in fielding.

One could quite equally point out that modern players have advantages over their older counterparts in terms of equipment, protection, quality of ground preparation. No current international players have played an international match on an uncovered pitch after it's been raining etc etc etc.

This argument has been going on as long as forums have existed.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby The Waugh Twins » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:36 pm

Yeah I agree Splinters, It would have been difficult to bat back then.
The Waugh Twins

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket