Your Papers.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Your Papers.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:06 pm

Where do we get our written cricket information? Which newspapers and websites? Which are the good and bad ones?

Which writer's opinions do you trust, and who do you take with a degree of scepticism?

Who are the great stylists, and who write like an internet translation app?

Obviously, the best minds in the game post on CMS, so accept that as a given. I'm talking about those who draw a wage for doing what we do for nothing. Apart from when we're doing it at work.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Re: Your Papers.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:43 pm

Cricinfo is a great source, particularly its coverage of live cricket. But the quality of the journalism is variable. Especially the ex players. I find Boycott just plain annoying. Ian Chappell is ok. But generally the ex players are not writers of note. Just writing up stuff they might say in an interview.

The 'funny' stuff is lamentable. On page 2.

Among the journos, I find Harsha Bhogle reasonable. As is Duleep Premachandran. David Hopps is a worthy replacement for Andrew Miller. But, for me, the greatest writer, especially stylistically, is Gideon Haigh. He also has great knowledge of cricket history. Though his technical insights will never carry the weight of a former player.

stasguru is a thing of wonder.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:53 pm

I feel a sad about what happened to the cricket coverage on the bbc. As I do about the website as a whole. What was once the envy of all news outlets in the country, and beyond, is now an incoherent mess. Which was intentional.

The BBC over by over feature was the paragon that all others aspired to. Particularly when helmed by Ben Dirs. All else has gone. There are bits about TMS that have all the insightful profundity of an episode of Last of the Summer Wine. There are articles by writers of the stature of Alec Stewart. Aggers, a legend behind the mic, is a little embarrassing on the page, and not a reliable guide to the international game.

Such a shame.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:01 pm

When England are playing Australia, and doing well. As we tend to, now. The Sydney Morning Herald is a must for a morning boost of schadenfreude. And it's a decent read, though often a little cheerful. Which I find to be true of Aussie media generally, which has a feel of can do optimism compared to the UK equivalent.

Big nod to Greg Baum, who must be among the world's greatest sports journalists.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby shankycricket » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:08 pm

I chat with George every now and then and he comes across a balanced writer to me and not exactly the knee jerker which AC might like to portray him to be.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:20 pm

The Guardian's sport coverage isn't that good. The actual newspaper barely carries cricket at all. More so for the Ashes. Most of the county game is online. But while the football coverage is dreadful, even idiotic, the cricket writing, what there is, holds up well. Vic Marks and Mike Selvey are probably the two most respected cricket writers in the country. Both write well, and their opinion is well worth seeking out.

The Guardian has thrown a lot of effort at its website and their writers spend some time talking to the readers on the blogs. Which only really works well if you agree with what they are saying, as dissent is met with a rather grumpy dismissiveness.

Barney Ronay writes a good article, especially if he has a subject to keep the word souffle buoyant. It can be all style, and no story. But it can also be excellent and often worth making an effort for.

Their over by over feature has a good reputation, and it is good. A real fan will want ball by ball on cricinfo. And its no better than the one on BBC. But it's still pretty good. It is lively, often funny, with the quirkiness of a fanzine, but carries a very slight aftertaste of smugness. Try it and see.

Mike Brearley writes at the weekend. His articles tend to be extra-ordinarily dull. Which isn't what you'd expect at all.

I
Arthur Crabtree

Postby m@tt » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:37 pm

Online:

Cricinfo and the Telegraph are my main two sources. Cricinfo has by far the best live coverage (apart from watching on Sky, of course). The Telegraph has the probably the nicest-to-use comments section, although their journalists have been a bit knee-jerk of late.

I also frequent the Times (although accessing articles is a bit of a pain as you have to edit the URLs to avoid the paywall), Sky Sports, the Daily Mail and the Guardian. Less so, the Cricketer and the Independent.
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:46 pm

The journalists who turn up on live tv never seem too impressive. That one from the Independent (Stephen Brenckley?) just looks at the averages before he goes on air. The one from the Sun who has been there ages... John Etheridge, never inspires confidence. Same with Paul Newman, who doesn't seem to believe what he's saying when you see/hear him, and changes his mind if someone disagrees with him.

Steve James used to write for the Guardian, he's good. As did Simon Hughes, who is fine on tv, but really dull as a writer. Atherton wrote for the Guardian for a short while as well, and he was ok. Cricket Writer of the year I think.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:48 pm

shankybiggestengfan wrote:I chat with George every now and then and he comes across a balanced writer to me and not exactly the knee jerker which AC might like to portray him to be.

I didn't mention your man, Shanks! I'll consider myself warned off.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby dan08 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:51 pm

Cricinfo for me.

I occassionaly have a look around at other websites but nothing matches Cricinfo in terms of statistics (which i love :) ).
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:58 pm

Cricinfo is pretty amazing for the breadth of its coverage. And usually lively and interesting. Below the line though, is insanity.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Aidan11 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:04 pm

Rarely read papers.

Get most of my info through forums like this believe it or not.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby ddb » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:05 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Cricinfo is a great source, particularly its coverage of live cricket. But the quality of the journalism is variable. Especially the ex players. I find Boycott just plain annoying. Ian Chappell is ok. But generally the ex players are not writers of note. Just writing up stuff they might say in an interview.

The 'funny' stuff is lamentable. On page 2.

Among the journos, I find Harsha Bhogle reasonable. As is Duleep Premachandran. David Hopps is a worthy replacement for Andrew Miller. But, for me, the greatest writer, especially stylistically, is Gideon Haigh. He also has great knowledge of cricket history. Though his technical insights will never carry the weight of a former player.

stasguru is a thing of wonder.

Did you read Ed Cowan's piece on cricinfo?

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
shankybiggestengfan wrote:I chat with George every now and then and he comes across a balanced writer to me and not exactly the knee jerker which AC might like to portray him to be.

I didn't mention your man, Shanks! I'll consider myself warned off.

:lol:

On Gideon AC, he did a very good interview here that's worth a listen/read: http://thecricketcouch.com/blog/2012/02 ... eon-haigh/
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:46 pm

Just read Cowan's piece ddb. Nicely written, if a bit raw in places, but then I think cricinfo articles aren't edited. Eloquent and passionate to the point where it is actually quite moving. And for the armchair fan, an interesting, vicarious insight into how it must feel to play at that level.

Bit surprised that he says he may never speak to ZK. I thought players mixed after play. It used to be like that.

Listening to Haigh now. And my girlfriend. Was the link because he's doubting technology?! Very interesting stuff, particularly on the state of the India team. Seem to think there's something sick in the heart of Indian cricket. A bit Shakespearian this stuff. Recommend this particularly to Indian fans.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby ddb » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Was the link because he's doubting technology?!

Ha no. It was because he talked about journalism and had some very interesting views on the BCCI/ICC.

There's also an IPL podcast on there which is the latest one. Brilliant insight with a KKR CEO or something of how KKR have planned their buys.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Next

Return to International Cricket