Michael Clarke

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Michael Clarke

Postby meninblue » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:31 am

Michael Clarke : Right handed Batsman
Born:April 2, 1981.New South Wales .
Bowling: SLA orthodox
Fielding : (Inner circle) Slips, point
ODI Debut: Australia v England at Adelaide, Jan 19, 2003
Test debut: India v Australia at Bangalore, Oct 6-10, 2004
T20 debut: New Zealand v Australia at Auckland, Feb 17, 2005
Test Debut:
In the test arena , he made a impressive debut knocking 150+ against India at Bangalore. Although the Bangalore wicket favors the batsmen, the bowling attack had established spinners like Kumble and Harbhajan .

Fitness:
Fitness is something which Michael takes very seriously. Apart from the nets and the regular fitness drills he has concentrated in gym workouts. He has faced back injuries in recent past. Hamstring is another injury which has suffered from but that’s the most common injury for sportsman in field games. He needs to manage his fitness properly . So far he has given importance to fitness by not playing even important matches such as Commonwealth bank semi and finals.

Batting:

Approach to batting:
He is one of those players who will make an attempt to settle on the wicket by judging the bounce of the wicket. Later on once he has put on a score he opens up his wide stroke range. When needed to accelerate he has shown the ability of being able to clear the front foot from line of the ball and hit it down the ground both in tests and ODI’s. It is partly to his approach of accumulating runs by means of ground strokes before playing attacking strokes lead to the downfall in T20’s.

Stroke range:
Michael Clarke has a wide range of strokes as he can bat well on the front as well as back foot very nicely. His test average of 49 is a testament to his batting quality. He rarely plays any unorthodox cricketing strokes . His strokes are mostly played all along the ground. He does tries to avoid the hook stroke put plays the pull excellently. Very few strokes over the infield in test matches, except for the pull and hook. At times he even pulls on the front foot, once he has judged the bounce off the wicket.

Front foot technique:
His front foot extends well forward and very decisively. The angle of front foot is in direction in which he attempts to hit the ball. The head is also stable enough. His shoulders are properly in the line of the stumps at the other end. So are the eyes. Overall his stance is very impressive and stable and such good basics will help him more often than not. Even when he gets down the wicket to the spinners he makes a decisive footwork and gets close to the ball.

The follow through of the stroke is pretty good and technically sound with the elbow playing a lead role.
The only thing that can improve is that leaning more on the front foot while playing the drives to get the balance perfect. If he bends the knee much more like some players like Dravid does while playing the front foot strokes, he will be very good at front foot.

Backfoot technique:
The stance being good there is a good scope for Clarke to rock back well on the back foot. Another impressive technique is that he covers the stumps with his back foot while playing square off the wicket. He Gets top of the ball very nicely and has a nice footwork towards off side to cover the stumps to punch it through point either off pacers or spinners. He plays it on the ground between deep midwicket and backward square leg. The point of contact of bat with ball is almost below the eye level. Such a technique brings a lot of balance to the strokes. On rare occasions has not covered the stumps and got inside edges. The head position is very good at the point of contact with the ball.

Big innings:
(1)He scored a Chanceless 166 Vs Pak (Asif/ Amir/ Gul/ Kaneria) at Hobart. 352 run partnership. Ponting went on to score a double. Aussies won the match comprehensively.

(2)329 versus India in 2012 at Sydney was followed by 210 at Adelaide . The 329 runs against Indian bowling attack does shows about his stamina, his shot selection, temperament and patience as well even though the bowling attack cannot be put into the top 4 attacks.

Knocks under pressure :
(1)He played a captains knock of 151 versus South Africa at Capetown, against the attack of Philander, Steyn and morkel, in a match which he scored more than 50% of the team total (284). Considering that the other team totals were 96 by saffers in first innings and 47 by Australia in second says a lot about his form.

(2)After breaking up with Lara Bingle in year 2010, he came back strongly in the immediate test in following week against NewZealand with a determined knock of 154.

(3)His 136 Versus England at Lords in Ashes 2009, while playing for a draw as England set up 500+ was superb although Aussies lost the match.
Another impressive aspect of his batting is that he is a quick runner and puts pressure on theinner and outer ring fielders. When needed he has shown that he dives full length to make the ground and convert a risky single to a successful run. However, i wonder whether he will continue to dive often given his back and hamstring injuries off late. Bad dives or dives during such fitness issues are a huge concern and needs a thinking IMO.

Bowling:
He is a typical Slow left arm orthodox bowler. A part timer who has shown he can pick important wickets on some wickets and roll over the arm for a short spell in some other matches. Mumbai 6 wickets in 9 runs in only one spell at Wankhede , claiming Gambhir, Dravid and karthik . Inspite of that extraordinary spell India won the test. On cracking turners he can be used for a short spell and see if he can break partnership.

Fielding:
Fields in the slip position In the ODI’s he fields in the inner circle, because of his ability to hit the stumps or create run outs and take quick reflex catches. Later on he has made the point position his own when field restrictions relaxes in ODI. In tests he is one of the best slip fielder and takes very high proportion of catches successfully. Ponting, Symmonds, Gibbs, A B D and Collingwood are the 5 best fielders he has seen during his international career.

Captaincy:
I am of the opinion that a captain is as good as a team as there is not much difference between the cricketing logic experienced by the players until they reach international cricket and further as they keep playing international matches. There will be few different approaches but the basic captaincy decisions will be consistent at this level.
Ricky Ponting was rested due to broken finger which required surgery. Clarke played his first test as captain in 5th test at SCG of the Ashes 2011 series. Engand won the test match by an innings and 80 runs and the ashes 2010 – 2011 by a margin of 3-1. Clarke scored 4 and 41 in the test match.
From the pool of pace bowlers (Hiflenhaus , Mitchell and Siddle) he opted to attack the openers with Hilfenhaus and Mitchell. Mitchell finally got to bowl with the new ball which he preferred rather than the first change bowler. That did not work out though as Mitchell leaked runs and went wicket less in his first spell. Even for the series against SriLanka he used Mitchell as first change bowler going back to Pontings tactics. Clarke was quick on his feet to replace Mitchell with Siddle. Tthe batting order was also changed in his first test as captain. Steven Smith who had batted ahead of Haddin under Ponting’s captaincy , was pushed after Haddin in Clarke’s captaincy and rightly so.

In a ODI against Bangladesh at Mirpur, he promoted Steven Simth over Michael Hussey and Callum Fergusson to maintain the run rate. However, Smith got out cheaply whereas Hussey scored a ton. All though the move to promote Smith did not work out the thinking of promoting Smith is fairly justified.
His field placements are good. Perhaps being a attacking fielder he will get the field placements correct more often than not. At times, he has gone for 7 – 2 field settings but that is due to lack of established spin bowlers in the squad. He stresses a lot of importance on fielding.

He will need to build a core group of players keeping in mind that the next world Cup is being played in Australia and NewZealand. The recent events suggest that Daniel Christian and Peter Forrest are being backed up with the World Cup in perspective. Clarke will have a big say in the selection process. The management of developing fast bowlers like Pattinson, Cummins, Copeland who are injured very early in their careers will be a aspect he has to give a lot of thought while selecting squads for Tests and ODI squads. Indias whitewash of 4-0 in Test series 2012 is his standout win as captain as well as a high point in his test career.
Hope he continues to score prolifically in the tests and ODi as he has done so far. The odd bad form should not be a worry anymore as he has shown enough class in his batting and fielding. The job is not over though because his role as captaincy has just started. He will have to lead by example as he did against SriLanka, South Africa and India. Also he will need to develop a potential captain and a good core team which will give Team Australia a sustainable advantage.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Re: Michael Clarke

Postby mikesiva » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:39 am

I tend to agree that at this level the captain is only as good as the players he has in his team....

I think Clarke is a good choice to take Australia thru the transition period.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby Making_Splinters » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:47 am

It is very difficult to judge a captain, regardless of how tactically inspired a captain may be, or how good his man management skills are, if he doesn't have the players available to him that can carry out his plans and win matches then it ultimately doesn't matter.

Fleming is often cited as a good captain from both of the aforementioned criteria but Ponting, who probably won't go down as one of the great captains, won far far more series and matches because he had a team consisting of some of the best players of the modern era.

From what I have seen of him so far he has a decent set of skills needed of a captain and Australia have a good bunch of players to get results, so things are promising.

Post Ponting I would like to see him moving up to four.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby meninblue » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:02 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:It is very difficult to judge a captain, regardless of how tactically inspired a captain may be, or how good his man management skills are, if he doesn't have the players available to him that can carry out his plans and win matches then it ultimately doesn't matter.

Fleming is often cited as a good captain from both of the aforementioned criteria but Ponting, who probably won't go down as one of the great captains, won far far more series and matches because he had a team consisting of some of the best players of the modern era.

From what I have seen of him so far he has a decent set of skills needed of a captain and Australia have a good bunch of players to get results, so things are promising.

Post Ponting I would like to see him moving up to four.

In tests i would definitely play him at No 4. But i would be reluctant to have him at number 4 in ODI's. I would rather have Michael Hussey at 4 in ODI.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby andy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:31 pm

very good player, and very good captain IMO, shame he keeps getting injured though.
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby meninblue » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:29 am

cricketfan90 wrote:very good player, and very good captain IMO, shame he keeps getting injured though.

Yes CF. The back injury is painful. It is a major bone of the body. I am still not aware if the back injury is due to damage to backbone. As far as i know backpain can also happen due to damaged soft tissues or ligaments which terminate near or into the backbone. That injury can happen due to stresses on lower back at gym as well but they can be cured relatively easily than if it is caused due to damage to backbone. Surgery should be able to fix it but IMO back injury will make things difficult for him. He might even have to control diving while fielding or diving to reach crease while saving him form getting run out.
meninblue

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:58 am

I don't really think Hussey is going to be playing all that much longer in any format, Clarke could fit quite well in the ODI side at three, he has the ability to play long innings at a decent clip, and would be a good bridge between the likes of Warner and Watson at the top of the order and the more agressive players down the order.

As an out and out batsman he is better than Forrest and having a player of his calibre at three would give the team a little bit more stability.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby meninblue » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:16 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:I don't really think Hussey is going to be playing all that much longer in any format, Clarke could fit quite well in the ODI side at three, he has the ability to play long innings at a decent clip, and would be a good bridge between the likes of Warner and Watson at the top of the order and the more agressive players down the order.

As an out and out batsman he is better than Forrest and having a player of his calibre at three would give the team a little bit more stability.

:thumb
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:06 am

Michael Clarke yet to decide whether he will accept the offer or not

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 411144.cms
meninblue

Postby Stroller95 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:44 pm

Clarke is useless as a T20 player. His only value is as a drawcard. It is between the franchise and himself as to how much they will pay for that, and how much credibility he is willing to sacrifice.
Stroller95

Team(s) Supported: Australia, NSW Blues, Penrith Panthers NRL.

Postby meninblue » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:04 pm

Stroller95 wrote:Clarke is useless as a T20 player. His only value is as a drawcard. It is between the franchise and himself as to how much they will pay for that, and how much credibility he is willing to sacrifice.

He has indeed found T20 to be a tough format to adjust and hence was dropped and later retired from international T20. I was surprised that he got keen and started negotiating with IPl franchisee. Add to it he is skipping international matches due to back injury in recent months.
meninblue

Postby andy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:48 pm

sportbloggeradi wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:very good player, and very good captain IMO, shame he keeps getting injured though.

Yes CF. The back injury is painful. It is a major bone of the body. I am still not aware if the back injury is due to damage to backbone. As far as i know backpain can also happen due to damaged soft tissues or ligaments which terminate near or into the backbone. That injury can happen due to stresses on lower back at gym as well but they can be cured relatively easily than if it is caused due to damage to backbone. Surgery should be able to fix it but IMO back injury will make things difficult for him. He might even have to control diving while fielding or diving to reach crease while saving him form getting run out.

i know how painful back injuries can be...i repeatdly have to visit hospitals about my back, i have a lot of problems during the season with it.
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

andy

West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby meninblue » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:18 pm

Hope you take care about it considering its effects.
meninblue

Postby SaintPowelly » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:36 pm

Michael Clarke is one of my favorite players, I lost some respect for him during the whole Katich axing ( even though it worked out great for Hants ), I'd lose more respect if he went to the IPL.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby andy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:44 pm

sportbloggeradi wrote:Hope you take care about it considering its effects.

it always occurs when bowling, im sure it will always be there, just like with michael clarke, he just has to be able to monitor it, and take the neccrssary precuations.

andy

West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Next

Return to International Cricket