Countdown to Twenty Three Hundreds.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Countdown to Twenty Three Hundreds.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat May 12, 2012 7:50 pm

Supporters of other countries can snigger into their Wisdens. England's batters are staring down their country's record for most Test hundreds, like cold eyed bandits in a Mexican stand-off. Yes, twenty two hundreds.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... pe=batting

Currently the record is shared by Cowdrey, Boycott, and, after all these years, Wally Hammond. Lining up at their backs are:

Pietersen, 20.

Cook, 19.

Strauss, 19.

Bell, 16.

OK, Bell aint gonna do it yet, but there is a decent chance of it being surpassed his summer by someone. Remarkable that so many should be hunting this down at the same time. Nothing like this has happened in the England team since Hammond set the record. In twenty years time, when all the KP bashing and campaigns to exclude Strauss have faded away, this will be remembered as a golden era of England batting.

And that's before we get to Trott's (seven) hundreds, made at a much better innings per hundred rate than all the others.

Some will say this is a result of a poverty in international bowling right now. Some will point to all the little factors that have led to the nudging upwards of averages in the last decade or so.

But not me! Determined as ever to recognise when things are going right, I want to draw attention to the determination, skill and hard work that has got them so close to a legend like Wally Hammond, and along with Trott, suspect that a similar legacy awaits them too.

For what it's worth, I think KP will get there first, against South Africa. Will he go for the whole fist pumping, doubled up, cup final celebration? Or will he decide it will annoy the tourists more to tip his hat, and point his bat at infinity?
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Re: Countdown to Twenty Three Hundreds.

Postby shankycricket » Sat May 12, 2012 7:57 pm

KP or Cook, for my money. Think KP.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby ddb » Sat May 12, 2012 8:02 pm

So this is the real reason for Strauss' form. ;)
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat May 12, 2012 8:03 pm

Hope it's Strauss! That would probably mean we'd had a good summer.

I suspect many have a premonition of a fertile period coming up for KP.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat May 12, 2012 8:04 pm

ddb wrote:So this is the real reason for Strauss' form. ;)

Yes, it's like Taylor declaring on Bradman's score. Strauss doesn't want to take the record off Hammond.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby shankycricket » Sat May 12, 2012 8:07 pm

Or maybe he's just not good enough to reach there?

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Postby ntini77 » Sat May 12, 2012 8:08 pm

I expect Cook to break practically every record for England by the time he finishes playing.
"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious *modded*."

2009 The Ashes Prediction League Guru
NZ-Pak Tests prediction guru
2010 NZ-Aust Combined Prediction league guru
2011-2012 Premiership final placings guru
2013 SA-Pak ODIs prediction guru
2013 Masters golf prediction guru
2014 WI-NZ Tests fantasy guru
ntini77

Team(s) Supported: West Indies, Barbados, Kent, Man City

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat May 12, 2012 8:10 pm

Well, I wasn't being serious Shanky. I'm sure he'd love to give a superior sneer at Wally Hammond's portrait in the Long Room.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat May 12, 2012 8:11 pm

ntini77 wrote:I expect Cook to break practically every record for England by the time he finishes playing.

Guess so, unless he goes off the rails. You know, girls, cars, cocaine. A bonfire of the ego...
Arthur Crabtree

Postby shankycricket » Sat May 12, 2012 8:18 pm

I know AC. Going by the rate at which Strauss is going his hundreds these days he'd have to play another 8 years to reach 23 :?

shankycricket

Postby shankycricket » Sat May 12, 2012 8:23 pm

Ok, no more Strauss bashing for today :D

shankycricket

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat May 12, 2012 8:30 pm

One that might happen at the same time is scores of a 150 plus.

Hammond and Hutton are unsurprisingly at the top with ten each.

Next player on the list is:

KP with nine!

Other current English batsman line up:

Cook with five then Bell and Trott with four each and Strauss with three.

Little side note Vaughan and Trescothick have six and the old enemies Gower and Gooch have eight each.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat May 12, 2012 8:36 pm

Didn't know that Splinters, thanks.

Hope Strauss does go past Hammond, Shanky. It would be great for the team, and special for us as supporters to have witnessed a great achievement by this group of players.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat May 12, 2012 8:38 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Supporters of other countries can snigger into their Wisdens. England's batters are staring down their country's record for most Test hundreds, like cold eyed bandits in a Mexican stand-off. Yes, twenty two hundreds.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... pe=batting

Currently the record is shared by Cowdrey, Boycott, and, after all these years, Wally Hammond. Lining up at their backs are:

Pietersen, 20.

Cook, 19.

Strauss, 19.

Bell, 16.

OK, Bell aint gonna do it yet, but there is a decent chance of it being surpassed his summer by someone. Remarkable that so many should be hunting this down at the same time. Nothing like this has happened in the England team since Hammond set the record. In twenty years time, when all the KP bashing and campaigns to exclude Strauss have faded away, this will be remembered as a golden era of England batting.

And that's before we get to Trott's (seven) hundreds, made at a much better innings per hundred rate than all the others.

Some will say this is a result of a poverty in international bowling right now. Some will point to all the little factors that have led to the nudging upwards of averages in the last decade or so.

But not me! Determined as ever to recognise when things are going right, I want to draw attention to the determination, skill and hard work that has got them so close to a legend like Wally Hammond, and along with Trott, suspect that a similar legacy awaits them too.

For what it's worth, I think KP will get there first, against South Africa. Will he go for the whole fist pumping, doubled up, cup final celebration? Or will he decide it will annoy the tourists more to tip his hat, and point his bat at infinity?

Something I noticed while looking down that list were the relitive conversion rates for the players from 50 to 100, Hammond of course stands out with 22 tons and 24 fifties closely followed by KP with 20 tons and 25 fifties, the real shock was Vaughan with 18 tons and 18 fifties.

Amiss and Broad both have the same feat as Vaughan 11 and 6 respectively and only Ames doing better with 8 tons and 7 fifties.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat May 12, 2012 8:45 pm

Cook's is roughly comparable with KPs. Vaughan's record is quite remarkable. As was Strauss' until fairly recently.
Arthur Crabtree

Next

Return to International Cricket