Countdown to Twenty Three Hundreds.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Countdown to Twenty Three Hundreds.

Postby m@tt » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:10 pm

sportbloggeradi wrote:Cook IMO will end up as England's best test batsman over a lengthy career. He is just 27 and with experience i feel tons will flow from his bat. Perhaps he would end up being the batsman with most double centuries. I think KP, Sachin are top of the most doubles list.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/conten ... 30344.html

12 - the Don
9 - Lara
8 - Sangakkara
[..]
6 - Tendulkar
[..]
3 - Pietersen
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby shankycricket » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:12 pm

sportbloggeradi wrote:Cook IMO will end up as England's best test batsman over a lengthy career. He is just 27 and with experience i feel tons will flow from his bat. Perhaps he would end up being the batsman with most double centuries. I think KP, Sachin are top of the most doubles list.

Unless the best batsman tag is decided by pure statistics, I dont think so.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby meninblue » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:14 am

m@tt wrote:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/conten ... 30344.html

12 - the Don
9 - Lara
8 - Sangakkara
[..]
6 - Tendulkar
[..]
3 - Pietersen

Thanks.

Tough for Cook to overhaul payers of other nations. However, he looks set to be the top most scoring double scorer for England at least. Don is sitting as high as Siachen glacier.

shankybiggestengfan wrote:

Unless the best batsman tag is decided by pure statistics, I dont think so.

You would have read that i said Englands best batsmen. And yes statistics do have importance given they are considered over a huge sample of matches, which Cook has already played compared to others and much more given the career left for him. Sachin, Lara, KP, Ponting, Kallis, Rahul have better batting statistics than others for some reason. The statistics reflect their practical performance. You play score 100 in 20 innings then your average is 5, if you score 1000 in 20 innings then only your average reaches 50. I hope you see how practical skills and average work up over a large sample . Also, can you mention any bad batsmen who has averaged around 50 in test matches? If not what does it reveal about statistics. Statistics considered over large innings sample and practical skills are interdependent , except for rare exceptions.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby shankycricket » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:32 am

Of course stats are important Adi but stats doesnt mean just the number of runs scored and number of centuries. You also have to look at averages. Cook's average will never be as high as Hobbs, Hutton, Hammond, Sutcliffe or Barrington.

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Postby meninblue » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:35 am

I have not seen Hobbs, Hutton, Hammond, Sutcliffe or Barrington play. But amongst what i have seen i am of the opinion that Cook is better than Vaughan, Atherton, KP, Bell, Strauss. Shanky, Who do you think is the best England test batter you have seen.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby shankycricket » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:48 am

Ah! Ok! I thought you were talking all time. Fair enough! Out of those I've seen, I rate KP slightly higher at the moment.

shankycricket

Postby meninblue » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:48 am

Time for Cook, Strauss and KP to knock one . Much needed by England as well.
meninblue

Postby Albondiga » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:15 pm

sportbloggeradi wrote:I have not seen Hobbs, Hutton, Hammond, Sutcliffe or Barrington play. But amongst what i have seen i am of the opinion that Cook is better than Vaughan, Atherton, KP, Bell, Strauss. Shanky, Who do you think is the best England test batter you have seen.

Players like Boycot & Edrich were fine openers and middle order there was Cowdrey Graveney Dexter Gower but as a test match player Gooch was a particularly fine opener and middle order Barrington would be my choice; Rwo players often forgottten but amongst Englands best were D'Olivera and Thorpe.
Albondiga

Postby yorker_129-7 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:19 pm

Ah Graham Thorpe, a man, much like Paul Collingwood, who never seemed to be properly appreciated until he wasn't there
Anything can happen with a round ball.

Coz we're going up, and we'll win the cup, for Sussex by the Sea!

2011 Australian Open tennis prediction guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 Pakistan vs. West Indies prediction guru
2012 England vs. South Africa test predictions guru
2015 French Open tennis prediction guru
yorker_129-7

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England

Postby rich1uk » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:24 pm

yorker_129-7 wrote:Ah Graham Thorpe, a man, much like Paul Collingwood, who never seemed to be properly appreciated until he wasn't there

collingwood did really start to go downhill the last 6-9 months he played tho and the time was definitely right for him to go , thorpe was maybe a bit harder done by but cant argue with what his replacement did for the first few years at least
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:36 pm

Collingwood was such an admirable team player, always thinking of his batting partner. He would really try to get his partner a single if they needed one. There's a player in the England team who strikes me as being the opposite. Who likes to play the best bowler from the other end, Boycott style. That puts pressure on others. Makes me appreciate Collingwood all the more.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:39 pm

yorker_129-7 wrote:Ah Graham Thorpe, a man, much like Paul Collingwood, who never seemed to be properly appreciated until he wasn't there

I thought Thorpey got a lot of acclaim during his career. 2000-2005 anyway.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby shankycricket » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:40 pm

I have always been an admirer of Colly but I think Thorpe was a class above, as a Test batsman.

shankycricket

Postby Robert » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Collingwood was such an admirable team player, always thinking of his batting partner. He would really try to get his partner a single if they needed one. There's a player in the England team who strikes me as being the opposite. Who likes to play the best bowler from the other end, Boycott style. That puts pressure on others. Makes me appreciate Collingwood all the more.

Who would that be?
Robert

Postby shankycricket » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:23 pm

I think he is referring to Bell.

shankycricket

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket