The enigma that is Kevin Pietersen

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: The enigma that is Kevin Pietersen

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Mon May 18, 2015 1:58 pm

I guess the issues are with Anderson and Cook in the current team and Prior, Swann and Strauss in previous.

The book and texts are the real killer in all this, a number of current and ex players came out and said at the time of the book's release that they could never see Pietersen playing for England again, and it doesn't appear that he will.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon May 18, 2015 2:18 pm

Pietersen only wrote the book because he was told he definitely wouldn't play for England again. So really it wasn't a factor. Then Graves announced a change in policy, in spite of the book, which Strauss reneged on even though Pietersen wrote no new book.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Aidan11 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:25 pm

KP wont play and the press know this but they are loving this game of pot-stirring.

The ECB made some monumental errors the way they have handled KP and other issues so the media will keep bouncing on them until they either get what they want, or England win back the Ashes.

Even then I'm not sure it will go away.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon May 18, 2015 2:26 pm

The texts, the ECB and Strauss have accepted contained no secrets about how to get Strauss out. They accepted that the news report on the texts was made up. All we know is that Pietersen texted his mates in the SA team, and he either called Strauss a doos, or as KP says, someone else did, and KP agreed. When an ECB official said the SAn players broke a story about controversial texts, he had to apologise to them. Pietersen signed something to say he hadn't passed any info onto the SAns.

KP agreed that the ECB could have his phone, as long as they examined the phones of his team mates. Some of whom had allegedly been involved in the fake KP twitter account.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon May 18, 2015 2:29 pm

This whole thing has only obliquely been about Pietersen. That has been just evidence in disquiet over the ECB leaks and poor management.

And what KP was complaining about, is slowly getting made into policy.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon May 18, 2015 2:36 pm

Again the texts had been dealt with when Downton sacked Pietersen. And were ancient history when Strauss reneged on an agreed 'clean slate'. If it was a factor for Strauss anyway, that's a good reason why he shouldn't have taken the job. England needed someone who would make decisions on merit, not one carrying around old biases.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Aidan11 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:45 pm

Cook had better pray he doesn't get a first-baller.
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby sussexpob » Mon May 18, 2015 2:52 pm

The whole text thing is, and always was, a joke. It was a news story that people bought, an issue created out of nothing. The mere fact that an employee anywhere in the UK would ever be told that they would face having the role in a company cut on the basis that they messaged, from a personal device, that their boss was a prat, is very worrying. Its almost surreal that an employer could act in such an abusive and bullying manner, to insist that an employee diverge on secrets and have to issue an apology based largely on hearsay. This is North Korean style management.

I think the interesting thing in all this is that, when taken at face value, for a grown man and captain of a side to take such an offence and consistently play the victim card over someone calling him one name, or agreeing when asked "don't you think the boss is xyz", is beyond belief.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Mon May 18, 2015 3:02 pm

Another issue about these texts that is often forgotten is the political agenda they served to so many people claiming the high ground.

1. English Performance - Got battered by South Africa in the first test, they were near 700/2 or something like that in the first test. That hit a few ego's hard, especially after England had been vastly outplayed by a pretty damn poor Pakistan side, and had scrapped a draw against an unfancied Sri Lanka side. The under current of discontent started to pour out after that first test, so there needed to be something taking the attention of the poorness of our performance away.

2. IPL - KP had asked pertinent questions about English players having the opportunity to play IPL in place of some matches, but was seriously rebuffed. The ECB are still looking like King Canute asking the waves of IPL to stop coming at them. Interestingly, not long after KP said he wouldn't mind time of and was nuclear bombed for his opinion, Andy Flower decide he couldn't be bothered with ODI's either and found someone else to do it - hypocracy. Blaming KP and publically making him fear for his career brought that line of uncomfortable questioning to a close.

3. Andrew Strauss - Was probably 20-30 matches overdue a retirement and since the turn of 2010 had failed to be of sufficient quality to be anything but a dead weight on the team. Scapegoating KP in South Africa allowed him to retire with reputation intact, as he for some reason ended another series of poor personal play by becoming a victim, and rode the crest of the wave into retirement.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Aidan11 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:02 pm

The textgate story was originally broken by Lawrence Booth of the Daily Mail. His colleague Paul Newman was a big friend of KP until they fell out.
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby hopeforthebest » Mon May 18, 2015 3:41 pm

Never in the history of the CMS site have so many rumours, gossip, innuendos, half truths and BS been posted to support long held prejudices as I'm reading here.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby sussexpob » Mon May 18, 2015 3:45 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:Never in the history of the CMS site have so many rumours, gossip, innuendos, half truths and BS been posted to support long held prejudices as I'm reading here.

Have you been reviewing your contributions to the thread again? :hide

sussexpob

Postby hopeforthebest » Mon May 18, 2015 3:50 pm

sussexpob wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:Never in the history of the CMS site have so many rumours, gossip, innuendos, half truths and BS been posted to support long held prejudices as I'm reading here.

Have you been reviewing your contributions to the thread again? :hide

Yes sussex, my contributions were the BS. :D
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby sussexpob » Mon May 18, 2015 3:59 pm

Joking of course.

I don't see this as "half truths though", Strauss average was appalling in the last three years of his career and was clearly on bought time, Flower and Strauss management was coming under question after a abortive 2011 World Cup, two Asian tours that we were pretty much outplayed in apart from some KP magic, and a South Africa series were, if South Africa hadn't shown mercy and declared at near 700/2, could have been the worst bowling performance in history had they continued on. IPL was becoming a major issue in the team as well, with the ECB paranoid that a mass exodus could occur and leave their prize May series in tatters.

In fact, the only reason why the IPL thing didn't happen in England is, no one wants to sign any of our test team, because they are mostly terrible IPL players.

sussexpob

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Mon May 18, 2015 3:59 pm

I need one of AC's recaps of who's in which camp!
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket