The enigma that is Kevin Pietersen

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: The enigma that is Kevin Pietersen

Postby sussexpob » Mon May 18, 2015 5:57 pm

dan08 wrote:By the way, that extract was Strauss on Andy Flower.

And people fault KP for calling him a doos. Surely, after reading that, we can conclude it was a fair comment regardless of intent/truth or anything?

Andy Flower, what a guy... you cant argue with him, he is too good.... he can even spend 5 minutes telling you just how good Hitler was cause he built some roads and made the economy a little better in Germany, regardless of him exterminating 12 million Jews.

I have never seen this before.... how did Flower or anyone involved keep their jobs after that? I would have lamped him one, got dropped, and when people asked casually inform them " I smacked him round the head because he spent 5 minutes telling me Hitler was a saint".
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Making_Splinters » Mon May 18, 2015 7:15 pm

I don't think there really is a "pro KP" movement anymore, it's more an "anti-ECB" sentiment. KP has become the central example of what is wrong with the ECB, but, most of us are more interested in fundamental change at the ECB than we are about KP playing for England again.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Mon May 18, 2015 7:47 pm

I'm in the anti KP anti ECB camp, not sure what that makes me........confused?
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Mon May 18, 2015 7:48 pm

Aidan11 wrote:
Gingerfinch wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:
Gingerfinch wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:I need one of AC's recaps of who's in which camp!

KP is even dividing CMS. What a doos!

I think the pro KP camp holds the majority, and a considerably larger one than the current Conservative government.

The pro KP camp may be forced to re-consider their thoughts when team England triumph in the ashes ;-)

I think most people will settle for KP not getting back in as long as Cook goes.

Goes as a captain?
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Aidan11 » Mon May 18, 2015 7:59 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Goes as a captain?

A few days ago I would have said yes, but if it's true that Cook told Strauss that it was "him or me" in the KP saga, and add to that his post-WC comments and his other comments after the WIs series, it seems Cook has gotten a little aoove himself.

Maybe this mild-mannered choirboy is a ruthless no-nonsense individual. Great if he was channelling it into the team but it seems he's only interested in himself.

I wont shed any tears when he goes.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Mon May 18, 2015 8:18 pm

Aidan11 wrote:

A few days ago I would have said yes, but if it's true that Cook told Strauss that it was "him or me" in the KP saga, and add to that his post-WC comments and his other comments after the WIs series, it seems Cook has gotten a little aoove himself.

Maybe this mild-mannered choirboy is a ruthless no-nonsense individual. Great if he was channelling it into the team but it seems he's only interested in himself.

I guess being around Pietersen so much is bound to have an effect!
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Making_Splinters » Mon May 18, 2015 8:55 pm

Cook has grown far too big for his boots.

Two series losses this summer will hopefully see the back of him.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon May 18, 2015 11:58 pm

Actually it would only take an ashes defeat for him to get sacked, very likely Root is taking over after the Ashes and that even if Cook wins the Ashes.
Strong rumours going around that Root gonna be given the reign to give him time ahead of the 2019 Ashes/World cup.
Cook is only being captain for the Ashes just so root doesn't do it this year and suffer the backlash and increased publicity of an ashes series.

I be very surprised if Cook is captaining against South africa in the Winter.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby backfootpunch » Tue May 19, 2015 1:36 am

Aidan11 wrote:

he would leave a hole at the top of the order but we are losing anyway so i would rather him out the team as i wouldnt have to listen to him speak or watch him bat ever again

i do hope they dont give the captaincy to root so soon though as that would knock at least 3 or 4 years off his career
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby Aidan11 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:54 am

backfootpunch wrote:
Aidan11 wrote:

he would leave a hole at the top of the order but we are losing anyway so i would rather him out the team as i wouldnt have to listen to him speak or watch him bat ever again

i do hope they dont give the captaincy to root so soon though as that would knock at least 3 or 4 years off his career

I'd give it to Bell for a couple of years to allow Root more time to mature as an international player.
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue May 19, 2015 8:59 am

I'd give it to the best person regardless of age. I'd like it to be a younger player to lead a new generation in the team. Moeen or Root. Woakes?
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Gingerfinch » Tue May 19, 2015 9:05 am

Root seems the obvious choice. he's young, and has a secure place in the team. Well as secure as anyone's. I also like a batsman to be a captain. Of course Cook may have a wonderful summer, and end up keeping the captaincy.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby sussexpob » Tue May 19, 2015 9:22 am

The whole premise of everyone's roles in the ECB is overblown, everyone has got too big for their boots, Cook is just joining the party. In fairness to him, it cant have been easy to manage or captain a team in this environment.... first he had Flower, the man who was so flexible, he could argue Hitler was a top guy, and after he has had to deal with all the ECB's latest hacks trying to offer English cricket the miracle pill, and failing miserably.

There is no clear separation of powers in the ECB, no definition to any roles, no clarity. The last 10 days have shown that we had a selection decision whereby the CEO, the MD, the Director and the Captain where all involved in making..... the only two people in the hierarchy that weren't seemingly consulted is the acting coach, and the selector Whitaker. :hmmm So the coach and selectors don't select, but the bloke who used to run costcutter and should be content with shaking hands and eating sandwiches in the pavilion with his little red and yellow tie on is?

So the Captain out ranks the Coach and selector? But the Captain has no authority on tactics, because that was all Moores fault? But then the coach cant pick players to suit his tactics, because the captain has? Meanwhile the selector is sitting there thinking "of only I had some autonomy in selection, I could get involved".

Do you ever see Chairman and Managing directors in football teams picking sides? Do you see Administrative focused directors telling managers they cant sign a guy the manager wants, even without consulting the chief scout? Do you ever see a club captain being consulted about player acquisition before the coach and chief scout? Do you ever see all of them getting together without the manager and discussing tactics? Does the MD/Director and Chairman ever discuss the formation to be used and force it on a coach? Literally never happens, and if it did, they would get so much stick in the press.

Suggested Role profiles

Captain - Gets the team the coach picks, contributions to those discussions on ideas, but has no selection powers. Applies his cricketing knowledge to get best out of players on the field, gives boring press conferences about how hard people are working. Is subordinate to coach.

Head Coach - Picks the side based on factors of tactics and conditions, which he discusses. Has power to appoint captain of his choosing to enact this blueprint. Oversees other coaches, which he should choose to hire.

Selector - Scouts county cricket for talent and reports to head coach about what he sees. Has no authority over head coach, he is simply an advisor.

Coaches - Subordinate to head coach. Are responsible for preparing those players selected for games.

Director - Does the paper work. Has no operational power over Head Coach, constitutionally has no authority to dictate any aspect of on field performance matters.

MD - Oversees the suitability and performance of director and Head Coach. Has no authority on field matters.

Chairman - Oversees ECB and reports to his board.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue May 19, 2015 9:58 am

What is Flower doing all this time?

Feels like there are two layers of management that could be got rid of. At least D & MD is one job. Or manager and general manager as I'd call them.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Aidan11 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:08 am

Any KP stories today?
2012 TV Cup Winner