Should the DRS be mandatory?

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Should the DRS be mandatory?

Postby rich1uk » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:08 am

hopeforthebest wrote:
rich1uk wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:
If the TV replay showed 3/4 of the ball hitting the stump then the software must have also shown that to third umpire.

the software is programmed to the agreed tolerances , if the software says "umpires call" do you really think the 3rd umpire is going to say "ah well I thought it was only 48% of the ball that was hitting not 51% so i'll over-rule

the 3rd umpire just goes with whatever the software says

The software doesn't make any decisions, it simply provides data. If it made decisions automatically there would be no need for the third umpire.

on lbw decisions there isn't

if the software says umpires call then that's the decision

as I said in my previous post do you seriously think that a person can tell the difference between 48% of the ball hitting the stumps to 51% ?

the agreed tolerances are pre-programmed into the software and the graphic we see is the same as the 3rd umpire does
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:20 am

This, as always, comes down to people trying to make DRS something it isn't. DRS was designed to overturn bad decisions, it was never designed to sort over marginal calls as the technology simply isn't good enough to do that. Dhoni complaining about marginal calls going against them is doing nothing but whinging. They're called marginal calls for a reason.

India need to get on board the DRS train, or learn to shut up about umpiring.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:31 am

An official BCCI line on DRS is that they believe in not questioning the umpire's decision. But surely that genie has fled the bottle. Without DRS, India are continually questioning the decisions.

I actually respect the POV that the umpire is always right. But now, that feels like the convention of a bygone age. No one is doing that. A new kind of ethicality needs to emerge, for all teams.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:27 am

Yeah, if India truly believed in not questioning the umps' decisions, they would utter a simple howzat for appeal, and then not look incredulous at being told not out. If they truly believed that, Dhoni would not have made the comments that he did yesterday.

The genie was let out of the bottle, never to be put back, when UDRS was first used. The umps became mere functionaries and the mystique/romance/honour behind 'the umpire is always right' was officially gone - forever.

I was not a fan of bringing in the UDRS, but now that we have, I think that we have no choice but embrace it wholeheartedly, work together to make sure that it is working as well as it can.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby alfie » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:21 am

Dhoni is of course quite correct in pointing out that the " umpire's call" aspect to the drs means that the system does not compensate a team unfortunate enough to be on the wrong side of a disproportionate number of marginal calls by the on field officials.
However his assertion that India are consistently mistreated in this matter (Always ? In this series ? Just in Australia and England ?) is surely just the common tendency of a losing team to feel that everything is going against them...Might be human nature , but over a series it tends not to be borne out by dispassionate analysis.

Is he really suggesting that all umpires have a conscious or unconscious bias against India ? Even though we have "neutral" umpires everywhere ?
And if this were the case is his solution to completely replace the human decision makers with technology ? Quite a switch in the Indian position !

Like Garlic , I never particularly loved the drs ; but it is here , and , barring a bit of tinkering as the technology gets better , it is probably set as fairly as it can be at the moment. Not perfect. But better than the alternatives.
alfie

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:22 am

The point with the technology is that it is assumed that the umpire's decision is correct, and the technology needs to show a convincing case for overturning it, NOT that the technology makes the decision. It's this distinction that makes the marginal decision 'umpire's call'.

If the technology was the final arbiter of everything, you'd see teams speculatively challenge marginal calls to an even greater extent than they do already in the hope rather than expectation that the decision would be overturned. The idea is that teams only use the challenge when they KNOW they umpire has made a mistake, not that they think he's probably right but are hoping for a let-off.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby meninblue » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:32 am

alfie wrote:Dhoni is of course quite correct in pointing out that the " umpire's call" aspect to the drs means that the system does not compensate a team unfortunate enough to be on the wrong side of a disproportionate number of marginal calls by the on field officials.
However his assertion that India are consistently mistreated in this matter (Always ? In this series ? Just in Australia and England ?) is surely just the common tendency of a losing team to feel that everything is going against them...Might be human nature , but over a series it tends not to be borne out by dispassionate analysis.

Is he really suggesting that all umpires have a conscious or unconscious bias against India ? Even though we have "neutral" umpires everywhere ?
And if this were the case is his solution to completely replace the human decision makers with technology ? Quite a switch in the Indian position !

Like Garlic , I never particularly loved the drs ; but it is here , and , barring a bit of tinkering as the technology gets better , it is probably set as fairly as it can be at the moment. Not perfect. But better than the alternatives.

Process was something which he tried to hide behind for bad results. Now it is umpire decisions which he is hiding behind. All excuses and nothing else. Why not accept we cannot win test series overseas outside Asia rather than just lie and try to fool everyone as if cricket fans are fools to understand real problem why we lose overseas.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby m@tt » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:22 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
Red Devil wrote:http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-india-2014-15/content/current/story/812343.html

:clap :clap :clap

wonderfully well put by Dhoni - that is exactly the problem with DRS at the moment. The umpires call nonsense should be scrapped, either you are out or you are not out, it is stupid to say it was not out because the ump already said not out, but it would have been out if the ump had said out. India do have most of the 50-50's going against them, so Dhoni and BCCI should be demanding more objectivity in the DRS.

I am very very happy to see that ind are taking this stance, hopefully we can get DRS working properly and have it used in all the games.

There is a limit to the accuracy of the technology, hence the umpire's call because the system can't definitively say if the decision was correct or not.

India need to take on the DRS or stop complaining about umpire decisions.

As far as I'm aware, the umpires call element is not about a lack of accuracy (that can easily be handled by varying the size of the virtual ball), it is about not undermining he umpires. DRS is there to remove the howlers.

If that element was removed, you may as well remove the umpires. Every LBW decision would be reviewed. All they would do is count balls and hold caps and jumpers.
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby braveneutral » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:34 am

Maybe.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:41 am

braveneutral wrote:Maybe.

I disagree.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby braveneutral » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:43 pm

GarlicJam wrote:
braveneutral wrote:Maybe.

I disagree.

That is your opinion and I respect that.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Previous

Return to International Cricket