Should the DRS be mandatory?

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Should the DRS be mandatory?

Postby DeltaAlpha » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:22 pm

Well, I've been pondering and playing around a bit, sussex, and most of the unexplained sounds can be filtered out. The 'second' sound that were were discussing practically disappears with filtering to -30db below about 2kHz, but the marble clicks are hardly affected. However, that strikes me as far too high a frequency for a cricket bat and ball, so I'm going to wait till the chap next door returns from holiday and try with a golf ball; that may produce more relevant results with fewer oddities.
2011-12 CMS winter chess champion
2011 CMS spring chess champion
DeltaAlpha

Team(s) Supported: England

Postby sussexpob » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:14 pm

DeltaAlpha wrote:Well, I've been pondering and playing around a bit, sussex, and most of the unexplained sounds can be filtered out. The 'second' sound that were were discussing practically disappears with filtering to -30db below about 2kHz, but the marble clicks are hardly affected. However, that strikes me as far too high a frequency for a cricket bat and ball, so I'm going to wait till the chap next door returns from holiday and try with a golf ball; that may produce more relevant results with fewer oddities.

Dont know if it is luck, but yes, the way to do it is to cut frequencies that interfere with the main sound and never increase or boost if possible, because the more amplitude you add the worse it sounds. The best thing to do, and it seems you have worked out most of this yourself, is to increase the frequency much higher and test this boosted frequency at all levels of sound. When you get the clearest sound with no interference you have found its fundamental frequency, which will then give clarity to the sound when this frequency is stood out. On your EQ setup I would also(if you can) turn up the attack, lower the decay and sustain... you only need the snick. I would then set your sampling rate and bit rate depth to its maximum levels.

Id also test your camera in a few positions to see which is best.... and remember that if you are cutting frequencies do so very narrowly.... if you boost then do so very steadily... (ie if you are removing 2kHz then remove only that, if you are boosting a frequency then make sure it is graduated to frequencies around it).

Lastly, hardly any resonant/fundamental frequency is in the extremes, or any sounds.... you will only get interference and overtones, so consider cutting a lot of the high frequencies in a gradually way to silence at the maximum frequency, and do the same for the low frequencies to a point of about 30-50 hz
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby DeltaAlpha » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:39 pm

Thanks, sussex!

I have very little experience in enhancing audio, and all I did was to apply a 'step' filter - i.e. -30db up to 2kHz and 0db above that. Very crude, I know, but it did make a definite difference. If I moved the step up to 3kHz, practically everything disappeared. So I guessed that the significant frequency was around 2kHz, which, as I said, I think is too high.

I'm not sure that attack and decay times come into it with this type of filter, but I think I will wait till I get a golf ball so that the frequencies are a bit more realistic. Pity there are no sports shops anywhere near where I live!

This is some information about the audio in the file downloaded from the camera:

Format : PCM
Format settings, Sign : Unsigned
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 88.2 kbps
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Sampling rate : 11.024 kHz
Bit depth : 8 bits

The bit rate and sampling rate seem quite low to me, but may be adequate for this purpose.
DeltaAlpha

Postby DeltaAlpha » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:14 pm

I got hold of a golf ball this morning and repeated the experiment. I evidently caught a very fine edge on the table, though I actually thought it had missed; this is the result:

The main difference is that all the extraneous clicks in the waveform are gone, and, on looking at the entire waveform (about 25 seconds), it was plain to see that I'd dropped the ball four times - twice hitting the top of the table, once missing entirely and the one shown. This wasn't possible with the marble because of the extraneous clicks.

The clicks in the waveform are much bigger for the cases where the ball hit the top of the table but for a fine edge like the one shown it's still clear enough that there was a nick, even though deviation of the ball is hard to see.

The peak frequency in the waveform is about 400Hz compared to about 2kHz with the marble, so I think that's far more realistic.

Would you find a composite picture like the one above to be more convincing than the animation that's currently used for Snicko?
DeltaAlpha

Postby sussexpob » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:42 pm

I cant see the picture on my current computer due to my work laptop filtering system... Ill check later DA
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby DeltaAlpha » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:03 pm

OK, sussex. You can see the video here:

http://s903.photobucket.com/user/d_ains ... p.mp4.html

It's very short, and doesn't always play correctly, so you may need to replay it a few times. YouTube won't work at all with a video as short as this; the length of the video is the same as the time corresponding to the waveform in the picture posted above - 300ms, and there hasn't been any tampering with the audio/video synchronisation.
DeltaAlpha

Postby Aidan11 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:35 pm

2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby D/L » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:43 pm

The change the ICC should have made was not to chalk off a review after the decision, "umpire's call", is given. In such cases, review requests are rarely trivial or tactical in nature.

A new set of reviews after 80 overs will only exacerbate the current problems.

Well done, the ICC; yet another complete failure to miss the obvious in dealing with one of the game's problems.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby andy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:18 pm

this new ruling is an absolute joke IMO!
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:35 pm

It's a strange conclusion to come to in response to the problems of the summer. Unless it's just because the cricket committee thinks the umpires are rubbish.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby hopeforthebest » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:56 pm

Maybe it's an Indian plot to make more countries rail against DRS.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby DiligentDefence » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:13 pm

D/L wrote:The change the ICC should have made was not to chalk off a review after the decision, "umpire's call", is given. In such cases, review requests are rarely trivial or tactical in nature.

A new set of reviews after 80 overs will only exacerbate the current problems.

Well done, the ICC; yet another complete failure to miss the obvious in dealing with one of the game's problems.

I entirely agree D/L.
Ban v Eng combined fantasy guru '10 summer chess champ
'10 Ban v Zim ODI fantasy guru 2011 county division one prediction guru
2011 Zim vs NZ combined prediction guru 2011 India vs WI Tests prediction guru
2012 CB40 fantasy league guru 2014 World T20 fantasy guru
2015 6 Nations prediction league winners 2016 Ryder Cup fantasy league winner
2017 Masters Fantasy league Winner 2018 Ryder Cup fantasy league winner
2019 WI v Eng ODI fantasy league 2019 Eng v Pak ODI fantasy league winner
DiligentDefence

Team(s) Supported: Northants, England

Postby D/L » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:47 am

I see that "Hot Spot" will not feature in the DRS for the Ashes series down under. The decision has apparently been made on the grounds of cost, yet it's hard to see how £6k a day is in any way significant in the money fest that is an Ashes series.

The decision must surely be a mistake. Strauss says he supports it because it's not 100% foolproof, but what is? A technology that can show where contact has been made between bat and ball should not be discarded.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby andy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:39 pm

its ridiclous that they keep taking bits and pieces out of it...

you either use it all, or you use nothing!
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby KipperJohn » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:37 pm

Should the DRS be mandatory? No it should be scrapped.

Umpiring is as much a human activity, with all its frailties as is playing the game. As a spectator and viewer I am sick to the back teeth of endless replays, diagrams, discussions, referrals, and ghostly images which have no place on a cricket field.

Equally importantly, I should be allowed the right and independence to make up my own mind about whether a decision is right or wrong from what I see- it's part of the enjoyment of the game.

The erosion of the concept of taking personal responsibility is one of the biggest failings of modern society - equally reflected in sport.

Oh to be able to switch on the TV and just watch a game of cricket - fat chance!
KipperJohn

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket