Should the DRS be mandatory?

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Should the DRS be mandatory?

Postby D/L » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:09 pm

Agreed, DA, but I would still say that the use of DRS has reduced dissent.

Unlike the initials of other national cricket boards, India's has two "C"s, the first one standing for "Control".
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby Albondiga » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:00 pm

Scrap it and let the mistakes be made. Yhe powers that be are struggling for perfection and they will not achieve it. In he meantuime they are making the game disjointed and are interfering with it's natural flow..
Albondiga

Postby Albondiga » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:01 pm

Scrap it and let the mistakes be made. Yhe powers that be are struggling for perfection and they will not achieve it. In he meantuime they are making the game disjointed and are interfering with it's natural flow..
Albondiga

Postby D/L » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:50 pm

I doubt even cricketing authorities believe that perfection is possible, Albondiga. Rather, it’s a drive towards reducing human error, and the controversies that arise from those in international cricket, as much as possible.

I agree though that sometimes the 3rd umpire takes too long to make up his mind, as did Dar with Morgan’s “feather” yesterday. A couple of viewings of “Hotspot” was all that should have been needed and the verdict delivered in seconds.
D/L

Postby Making_Splinters » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:38 pm

The DRS story seems determined to keep outdoing itself at each turn.

The key research mentioned earlier on in this thread by Rich wasn't even presented to the ICC#;

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/571659.html

Only after the fact are the ICC acting on it when of course it is too late to do anything about it.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby D/L » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:04 am

“Wally Edwards, the Cricket Australia chairman, has revealed that the research on ball-tracking conducted by Dr Ed Rosten, an expert in computer vision technology, was left off the agenda of the executive board meeting, which concluded without the issue of DRS even being put to a vote due to India's reluctance to accept its use.”

Yes, more evidence, were it required, of "the tail wagging the dog".
D/L

Postby Albondiga » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:25 pm

D/L wrote:I doubt even cricketing authorities believe that perfection is possible, Albondiga. Rather, it’s a drive towards reducing human error, and the controversies that arise from those in international cricket, as much as possible.

I agree though that sometimes the 3rd umpire takes too long to make up his mind, as did Dar with Morgan’s “feather” yesterday. A couple of viewings of “Hotspot” was all that should have been needed and the verdict delivered in seconds.

I know they will not scrap it now but I still rue the day it came into force. I believe that television has dictated it and it is after all a game even at this level. I don't know that the players stil trust it AND i BELIEVE THAT IF THE BALL IS GOING TO HIT THE WICKET IT'S OUT and I can't equate with over half the ball or less than half the ball decisions. Despite this I still think it's the greatest of games.
Albondiga

Postby ddb » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:49 pm

D/L wrote:“Wally Edwards, the Cricket Australia chairman, has revealed that the research on ball-tracking conducted by Dr Ed Rosten, an expert in computer vision technology, was left off the agenda of the executive board meeting, which concluded without the issue of DRS even being put to a vote due to India's reluctance to accept its use.”

Yes, more evidence, were it required, of "the tail wagging the dog".

Or maybe...

http://cricketingview.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... h-and.html
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby Bath Maruwa » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:09 pm

We will never come up with a perfect DRS. There is nothing perfect in this world. No perfect batters,bowlers,wives,husbands and posters etc.

However, when the money talks THE BCCI IS PERFECT.

Should the DRS be mandatory? As a fan from a cricket crazy nation my answer is "YES" :thumb

Could the DRS be mandatory? As a matured person I should say " According to the current situation it will NEVER happen. You all know why? :rasta
Bath Maruwa

Postby andy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:55 pm

IMO DRS should be mandatory, however if it is mandatory would the indians refuse to play, or would they get on with it?
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Chris de Burgh » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:29 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:IMO DRS should be mandatory, however if it is mandatory would the indians refuse to play, or would they get on with it?

I think they'd kick up some dust for 6 months to a year before finally getting on with it. The BCCI are fighting a losing battle with this resistance and I'm pretty sure that they'll eventually accept the inevitable. It's just a case of when the ICC has the guts to pull off such a move.
Climb the pipe to the train or you'll go insane, wut wut.
Chris de Burgh

Team(s) Supported: Northants, New Zealand, Holland
Northampton Town, Arsenal, Gamba Osaka, Malta, Sliema Wanderers, Bray Wanderers, Japan

Postby meninblue » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:33 am

I am wondering whether ICC would have taken the same stance of allowing boards to choose whether to opt for DRS or not , in case the DRS technology was referred as not good by some weaker boards like Zimbabwe, Kenya, West Indies etc.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:32 am

Dhoni showed his bat to the umpire yesterday like many batsmen do when bowlers appeal for LBW. I wonder whether the batsman show the bat when they edge it to keeper ;)

Simon Doull during commentary: If you really want to help the umpire by showing the bat in case of an inside edge then why not use DRS to help umpire.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby OffStumpYorker » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:44 am

sportbloggeradi wrote:Dhoni showed his bat to the umpire yesterday like many batsmen do when bowlers appeal for LBW. I wonder whether the batsman show the bat when they edge it to keeper ;)

Simon Doull during commentary: If you really want to help the umpire by showing the bat in case of an inside edge then why not use DRS to help umpire.

To be honest thats an old ploy to try and kid the umpire you got an inside edge onto the pad, just like the nonchalant look of innocence when you get a feignt edge behind,you do everything to avoid looking behind and definately dont look at the bat.
'To Beer or Not to Beer, that is the Question, whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The hangover and pains of outrageous lager'
OffStumpYorker

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, England (naturally), Sheffield Wednesday (for my sins)

Postby meninblue » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:56 am

OffStumpYorker wrote:
sportbloggeradi wrote:Dhoni showed his bat to the umpire yesterday like many batsmen do when bowlers appeal for LBW. I wonder whether the batsman show the bat when they edge it to keeper ;)

To be honest thats an old ploy to try and kid the umpire you got an inside edge onto the pad, just like the nonchalant look of innocence when you get a feignt edge behind,you do everything to avoid looking behind and definately dont look at the bat.

Sometimes the batsmen get bad decisions so they are bit justified not to walk when they edge in case umpire makes a mistake. However, showing the bat and batsman acting like a snickometer or hotspot is not good. But times have changed, now they even argue with umpire why no ball was given / not given for waist height ones.
meninblue

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket