Should the DRS be mandatory?

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Should the DRS be mandatory?

Postby Red Devil » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:38 pm

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v ... 12343.html

:clap :clap :clap

wonderfully well put by Dhoni - that is exactly the problem with DRS at the moment. The umpires call nonsense should be scrapped, either you are out or you are not out, it is stupid to say it was not out because the ump already said not out, but it would have been out if the ump had said out. India do have most of the 50-50's going against them, so Dhoni and BCCI should be demanding more objectivity in the DRS.

I am very very happy to see that ind are taking this stance, hopefully we can get DRS working properly and have it used in all the games.
FL Titles
2008 Ban v NZ ODIs India v Aus Tests India v Eng ODIs
2009 NZ v WI Tests NZ v India ODIs SA v Aust ODIs Aus v WI Tests '08/09 Premier League Football
2010 SA v Eng Tests County Championship Div 1 County Championship Div 2 India v NZ Tests SL v WI Tests
2011 CMS Cricinfo World Cup County Championship Div 2
2012 Pak v Eng Tests SL v Ind ODIs County Championship Div 2 Champs League T20
2013 Ind v Aus Tests NZ v Eng T20/ODI NZ v Eng Tests County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 NZ v WI Tests '13/14 Aus v Eng Tests
2014 NZ v Ind ODIs CMS Cricinfo T20 World Cup County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 Aus MB One Day Cup SL v Eng ODIs
2015 CMS Cricinfo ODI World Cup Eng v NZ combined Natwest T20
2016 Big Bash T20 Sheffield Shield Kia Womens T20 Natwest T20 Blast County Fantasy Manager WI v Pak T20/ODI combined Rio Olympics
2017 Womens Big Bash T20 Womens ODI World Cup Eng v WI Tests County Championship Div 1 Eng v WI ODIs Aus JLT One Day Cup Ind v SL Tests NZ v WI Tests Ind v SL T20s
2018 Aus v Eng ODIs Womens Big Bash T20 Trans Tasman T20s Sheffield Shield Pak v WI T20s NZ v Eng Tests Eng v Aus ODIs Royal London County One Day WI v Ban Test/ODI Combined Women's Super League T20 Natwest T20 Blast Caribbean Premier League T20 County Championship Div 1 Women's T20 World Cup '17/18 Premier League Fantasy Football
2019 NZ v SL Test/ODI Combined WI v Eng Tests Big Bash T20 NZ v Ban Tests ICC World Cup Single Wicket Women's Big Bash T20 All Year Fant Comp
2020 Big Bash T20 (Joint) SL v WI T20/ODI Bob Willis Trophy Natwest T20 Blast Aus v Ind ODI/T20 Combined
2021 Ind v Eng ODIs
Red Junior's Titles
2016 Eng v Pak ODIs (aged 6)
2017 Eng v SA Tests Ind v NZ ODIs
2018 Aus JLT One Day Cup
2019 NZ v Eng T20s Aus Marsh One Day Cup
2020 (Joint) SL v WI T20/ODI IPL T20
Red Twins Titles
2021 Aus v Ind Tests (aged 7) Ind v Eng T20s
Red Devil

Team(s) Supported: India, Manchester United

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:08 pm

Red Devil wrote:http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-india-2014-15/content/current/story/812343.html

:clap :clap :clap

wonderfully well put by Dhoni - that is exactly the problem with DRS at the moment. The umpires call nonsense should be scrapped, either you are out or you are not out, it is stupid to say it was not out because the ump already said not out, but it would have been out if the ump had said out. India do have most of the 50-50's going against them, so Dhoni and BCCI should be demanding more objectivity in the DRS.

I am very very happy to see that ind are taking this stance, hopefully we can get DRS working properly and have it used in all the games.

There is a limit to the accuracy of the technology, hence the umpire's call because the system can't definitively say if the decision was correct or not.

India need to take on the DRS or stop complaining about umpire decisions.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:16 pm

It's about saving face now. If India embrace DRS, it has to be different from the one they rejected. As long as its used consistently, the present system is the best one.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:22 pm

"There is a growing feeling in the team that marginal calls go against them" - in other words, whingeing about the umpires' decisions rather than addressing the actual reasons they're losing. Pathetic.

Marginal decisions are by definition beyond the limits of accuracy of the technology. The DRS was never supposed to be 100% accurate, it was supposed to eliminate the howler - the catch that was grounded, the nick to the keeper that wasn't given, the lbw with bat on it. Complaining about the really tight calls is ridiculous, as it was never supposed to adjudicate them.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Red Devil » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:55 pm

I disagree

If you're going to use DRS for lbw's then I believe that you go with the technology. To say that the decision is out if it was given out by the ump, but that the decision would be not out for the same delivery if it was given not out feels wrong. I don't see how anyone can really argue with that because it ensures as much consistency and fair treatment as possible.
FL Titles
2008 Ban v NZ ODIs India v Aus Tests India v Eng ODIs
2009 NZ v WI Tests NZ v India ODIs SA v Aust ODIs Aus v WI Tests '08/09 Premier League Football
2010 SA v Eng Tests County Championship Div 1 County Championship Div 2 India v NZ Tests SL v WI Tests
2011 CMS Cricinfo World Cup County Championship Div 2
2012 Pak v Eng Tests SL v Ind ODIs County Championship Div 2 Champs League T20
2013 Ind v Aus Tests NZ v Eng T20/ODI NZ v Eng Tests County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 NZ v WI Tests '13/14 Aus v Eng Tests
2014 NZ v Ind ODIs CMS Cricinfo T20 World Cup County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 Aus MB One Day Cup SL v Eng ODIs
2015 CMS Cricinfo ODI World Cup Eng v NZ combined Natwest T20
2016 Big Bash T20 Sheffield Shield Kia Womens T20 Natwest T20 Blast County Fantasy Manager WI v Pak T20/ODI combined Rio Olympics
2017 Womens Big Bash T20 Womens ODI World Cup Eng v WI Tests County Championship Div 1 Eng v WI ODIs Aus JLT One Day Cup Ind v SL Tests NZ v WI Tests Ind v SL T20s
2018 Aus v Eng ODIs Womens Big Bash T20 Trans Tasman T20s Sheffield Shield Pak v WI T20s NZ v Eng Tests Eng v Aus ODIs Royal London County One Day WI v Ban Test/ODI Combined Women's Super League T20 Natwest T20 Blast Caribbean Premier League T20 County Championship Div 1 Women's T20 World Cup '17/18 Premier League Fantasy Football
2019 NZ v SL Test/ODI Combined WI v Eng Tests Big Bash T20 NZ v Ban Tests ICC World Cup Single Wicket Women's Big Bash T20 All Year Fant Comp
2020 Big Bash T20 (Joint) SL v WI T20/ODI Bob Willis Trophy Natwest T20 Blast Aus v Ind ODI/T20 Combined
2021 Ind v Eng ODIs
Red Junior's Titles
2016 Eng v Pak ODIs (aged 6)
2017 Eng v SA Tests Ind v NZ ODIs
2018 Aus JLT One Day Cup
2019 NZ v Eng T20s Aus Marsh One Day Cup
2020 (Joint) SL v WI T20/ODI IPL T20
Red Twins Titles
2021 Aus v Ind Tests (aged 7) Ind v Eng T20s
Red Devil

Team(s) Supported: India, Manchester United

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:02 pm

As it stands, it admits that nothing is certain, but it eliminates the unconscionable.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby rich1uk » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Red Devil wrote:I disagree

If you're going to use DRS for lbw's then I believe that you go with the technology. To say that the decision is out if it was given out by the ump, but that the decision would be not out for the same delivery if it was given not out feels wrong. I don't see how anyone can really argue with that because it ensures as much consistency and fair treatment as possible.

its basically the same principle that applies to all referrals tho

because the predictive element is not 100% accurate if it is only clipping then that is not considered conclusive enough to overturn the onfield decision

if there was a review of a caught behind and there was maybe a slight mark on hotspot then if the onfield umpire had given it out it would stay out but if the onfield umpire had given it not out then that might not be considered conclusive enough to change the decision

so the same evidence would lead to two different decisions depending on what the onfield umpire had decided initially

what is possibly arguable is what tolerance is applied to make it an umpires call rather than considered conclusive
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby GarlicJam » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:23 pm

rich1uk wrote:what is possibly arguable is what tolerance is applied to make it an umpires call rather than considered conclusive

This is the nub right here, imo. I've seen an LBW appeal reviewed and the prediction is that 3/4's of the width of the ball was going to hit the stumps, the review was turned down due to the on-field umps not out. It was going to smash the leg-stump, it is patently out.

Trim the tolerance.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby DiligentDefence » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:33 pm

GarlicJam wrote:
rich1uk wrote:what is possibly arguable is what tolerance is applied to make it an umpires call rather than considered conclusive

This is the nub right here, imo. I've seen an LBW appeal reviewed and the prediction is that 3/4's of the width of the ball was going to hit the stumps, the review was turned down due to the on-field umps not out. It was going to smash the leg-stump, it is patently out.

Trim the tolerance.

Agree with this.
Ban v Eng combined fantasy guru '10 summer chess champ
'10 Ban v Zim ODI fantasy guru 2011 county division one prediction guru
2011 Zim vs NZ combined prediction guru 2011 India vs WI Tests prediction guru
2012 CB40 fantasy league guru 2014 World T20 fantasy guru
2015 6 Nations prediction league winners 2016 Ryder Cup fantasy league winner
2017 Masters Fantasy league Winner 2018 Ryder Cup fantasy league winner
2019 WI v Eng ODI fantasy league 2019 Eng v Pak ODI fantasy league winner
DiligentDefence

Team(s) Supported: Northants, England

Postby hopeforthebest » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:38 pm

DiligentDefence wrote:
GarlicJam wrote:

Trim the tolerance.

Agree with this.

The third umpire blundered as only more than half the ball is the tolerance. So that third umpire needs reeducating.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby rich1uk » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:06 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:
DiligentDefence wrote:
GarlicJam wrote:

Trim the tolerance.

Agree with this.

The third umpire blundered as only more than half the ball is the tolerance. So that third umpire needs reeducating.

the third umpire didn't blunder , he doesn't make the judgement on how much of the ball is hitting , that's programmed into the software

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby hopeforthebest » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:12 pm

rich1uk wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:
DiligentDefence wrote:
GarlicJam wrote:

Trim the tolerance.

Agree with this.

the third umpire didn't blunder , he doesn't make the judgement on how much of the ball is hitting , that's programmed into the software

If the TV replay showed 3/4 of the ball hitting the stump then the software must have also shown that to third umpire.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

hopeforthebest

Postby GarlicJam » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:31 pm

This has happened far more than once, and it has been explained by the commentators that the whole ball needs to be hitting the stumps/pitching in line/etc for a decision to be overturned. Whereas I had thought it just needed to be half the iwdth of the ball.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby rich1uk » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:41 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:
If the TV replay showed 3/4 of the ball hitting the stump then the software must have also shown that to third umpire.

the software is programmed to the agreed tolerances , if the software says "umpires call" do you really think the 3rd umpire is going to say "ah well I thought it was only 48% of the ball that was hitting not 51% so i'll over-rule

the 3rd umpire just goes with whatever the software says

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby hopeforthebest » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:41 am

rich1uk wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:

the software is programmed to the agreed tolerances , if the software says "umpires call" do you really think the 3rd umpire is going to say "ah well I thought it was only 48% of the ball that was hitting not 51% so i'll over-rule

the 3rd umpire just goes with whatever the software says

The software doesn't make any decisions, it simply provides data. If it made decisions automatically there would be no need for the third umpire.

hopeforthebest

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket