Warne vs Samuels

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

World T20 semis & final, March 30-April 3

Postby mikesiva » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:36 pm

westoelad wrote:
sussexpob wrote:
westoelad wrote:
Red Devil wrote:not really Stokes' fault IMO. Sussex is right about pointing out who Stokes bowled death overs too earlier in the tournament when he did ok, but I was surprised they were bowling him at the death at all - Stokes will get wickets but he strikes me as someone who will always go for a few runs in any format

having said that - the same result could have happened with another bowler, remember what Yuvi did to Broad? Stokes will still go on to be an important all-round player for Eng

Perhaps Mark Wood best summed it up "You've got to play hard on the field but be humble and gracious off it. Instead of talking about Marlon’s great innings,we're talking about his stupid comments after the game".

Indeed. Marlon Samuels should maybe follow Mark Wood's lead and make more video diaries that display bullying on smaller team-mates while laughing at them and forcing them to perform like circus monkey's....

Mark Wood is clearly the biggest moron in the team based on his off field media performances, so he maybe shouldn't say anything.

Others may accept it as light- hearted banter. I suspect his team mates do. Again Sussex you’re making personal attacks on people you don't know. Are you aware of the past demeanours of Marlon Samuels?

The attacks on Samuels are getting nastier and nastier....

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/th ... 52c9ecb20c

'Speaking on The Big Sports Breakfast radio program on Monday morning, Lawson said Samuels’ connections at home in the West Indies had him more in line for a role in The Godfather rather than the next Shane Warne musical. “He’s tied up with some pretty shady people back in the West Indies, he’s a guy you don’t muck around with on or off the field,” Lawson said. “He’s tied up with the gangs there and it goes well beyond cricket.” Samuels grew up in Kingston on the island of Jamaica. While the tropical isles of the Caribbean are often seen as the ideal holiday destination, statistics released in January show homicide levels on the island jumped 20 per cent from the previous year, with 1192 murders recorded in 2015.'

That's a pack of lies...I come from Jamaica, and I know the Samuels family through his brother Robert, who I've spoken to many times, and interviewed from the days when he was a youngster just making his first West Indies team. It seems that Lawson has stereotyped everyone in Jamaica as being a Yardie gang member. I find this crusade against Samuels, while exonerating the likes of Stokes and Warne, disgusting to say the least, but hardly surprising....

That's one more reason why I want Samuels to keep on doing what he's doing...change nothing, bro!
8-)
A little arrogance is a good thing...remind the world of what it was like when Viv strutted his stuff.
:WI
When I read articles like this, it makes me pleased that we won the trophy, and that Australia took an early trip home....
:point
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Re: World T20 semis & final, March 30-April 3

Postby Aidan11 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:41 pm

If what Lawson says about Samuels having gangland connections is untrue then he should take legal action if Lawson refuses to withdraw his comments and apologise.

Criticising his cricket skills or behaviour is one thing but this goes way beyond personal.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Gingerfinch » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:44 pm

Would Lawson come out with that if he didn't think it was true? He either knows the truth, or has been informed incorrectly.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Durhamfootman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:48 pm

with comments like that, surely Samuels has to begin litigation immediately, doesn't he
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:04 pm

It was Cook who spent a summer saying 'something should be done' about commentators, Warne and Vaughan I remember. In interviews, directly after games. That seems like threatening language, seen in the light of allegations against Samuels. Yet the English press just wrote glossy pieces about how nice he is. Cook brought embarrassment on his team at that time. Manhandling Jayawardene on the pitch. Slating Morgan after the WC. His aloof and incoherent communications with the media. But it was his inability to be crticised that comes to mind after the press response to Samuels. And he was mostly supported anyway, certainly nothing like the Nicholas drivel.

It feels typical of the Pravda like cricket reporting in the UK, the way there has been so much press rehabillitating Stokes in the last week. The volume of it has been surprising. And little balance achieved between his on field behaviour, and the reaction of the West Indians to it.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Aidan11 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:43 pm

Surely if Samuels had gangland connections Warne would have long "disappeared" by now.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:17 pm

I read that George Bailey is a member of the Yakuza.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:17 pm

Don't know if it's true.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby braveneutral » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:25 pm

Michael Clarke told me.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby mikesiva » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:41 am

Here's a more sensible article on Samuels, by Holding, instead of that rubbish we saw quoted from Lawson....

http://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-arti ... ong/207159

Immature, yes, but hardly deserving of the hate spewed out against him by the media in the Ashes countries.

2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby backfootpunch » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:41 pm

mikesiva wrote:Here's a more sensible article on Samuels, by Holding, instead of that rubbish we saw quoted from Lawson....

http://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-arti ... ong/207159

Immature, yes, but hardly deserving of the hate spewed out against him by the media in the Ashes countries.

i still havent forgiven him for running out brian lara in his last international innings
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby shankycricket » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:01 am

mikesiva wrote:
westoelad wrote:
sussexpob wrote:
westoelad wrote:
Red Devil wrote:not really Stokes' fault IMO. Sussex is right about pointing out who Stokes bowled death overs too earlier in the tournament when he did ok, but I was surprised they were bowling him at the death at all - Stokes will get wickets but he strikes me as someone who will always go for a few runs in any format

having said that - the same result could have happened with another bowler, remember what Yuvi did to Broad? Stokes will still go on to be an important all-round player for Eng

Perhaps Mark Wood best summed it up "You've got to play hard on the field but be humble and gracious off it. Instead of talking about Marlon’s great innings,we're talking about his stupid comments after the game".

Indeed. Marlon Samuels should maybe follow Mark Wood's lead and make more video diaries that display bullying on smaller team-mates while laughing at them and forcing them to perform like circus monkey's....

Mark Wood is clearly the biggest moron in the team based on his off field media performances, so he maybe shouldn't say anything.

Others may accept it as light- hearted banter. I suspect his team mates do. Again Sussex you’re making personal attacks on people you don't know. Are you aware of the past demeanours of Marlon Samuels?

'Speaking on The Big Sports Breakfast radio program on Monday morning, Lawson said Samuels’ connections at home in the West Indies had him more in line for a role in The Godfather rather than the next Shane Warne musical. “He’s tied up with some pretty shady people back in the West Indies, he’s a guy you don’t muck around with on or off the field,” Lawson said. “He’s tied up with the gangs there and it goes well beyond cricket.” Samuels grew up in Kingston on the island of Jamaica. While the tropical isles of the Caribbean are often seen as the ideal holiday destination, statistics released in January show homicide levels on the island jumped 20 per cent from the previous year, with 1192 murders recorded in 2015.'

That's a pack of lies...I come from Jamaica, and I know the Samuels family through his brother Robert, who I've spoken to many times, and interviewed from the days when he was a youngster just making his first West Indies team. It seems that Lawson has stereotyped everyone in Jamaica as being a Yardie gang member. I find this crusade against Samuels, while exonerating the likes of Stokes and Warne, disgusting to say the least, but hardly surprising....

That's one more reason why I want Samuels to keep on doing what he's doing...change nothing, bro!
8-)
A little arrogance is a good thing...remind the world of what it was like when Viv strutted his stuff.
When I read articles like this, it makes me pleased that we won the trophy, and that Australia took an early trip home....

Jesus Christ.... I shudder to think what you would've been like if WI were actually half decent in other formats. WI play about one good tournament in one format every two years and your pessimistic mask is coming off I see. A little arrogance is not a bad thing, yeah but not after winning the only tournament you were ever likely to. After being repeatedly pathetic in other formats, the feeling I would've expected from the West Indies would've been more of satisfaction and relief than arrogance. Do I need to remind you that you haven't even qualified for the next ICC tournament? And there is no World T20 for another 4 years, so calm down. This will be forgotten quickly. Teams are still very much judged by how they do in Test and ODI cricket. And if you think winning a World T20 title will "remind the world of what it was like when Viv strutted his stuff"......... :lmaoagain

You will remind the world of "what it was like when Viv strutted his stuff" when this team acheives even 0.00000000000000000001 % of what Viv and co did in Test and ODI cricket. Until then, cherish this moment but don't get carried away. Or else, the next 4 years without a World T20 might be hard to digest. :thumb

By the way, I was quite happy for the Windies to win this but all this finger pointing and laughing at teams who didn't win this tournament (but have achieved far more in the other formats than this West Indies team) just because some of their journos and ex players criticised the WI's arrogance leaves a sour taste in the mouth. A team that has been as awful as WI for the last few years should exhibit a bit more humility than arrogance, I'd have thought. :thumb
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby dan08 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:12 am

shankycricket wrote:
mikesiva wrote:
westoelad wrote:
sussexpob wrote:
westoelad wrote:Perhaps Mark Wood best summed it up "You've got to play hard on the field but be humble and gracious off it. Instead of talking about Marlon’s great innings,we're talking about his stupid comments after the game".

8-)

Jesus Christ.... I shudder to think what you would've been like if WI were actually half decent in other formats. WI play about one good tournament in one format every two years and your pessimistic mask is coming off I see. A little arrogance is not a bad thing, yeah but not after winning the only tournament you were ever likely to. After being repeatedly pathetic in other formats, the feeling I would've expected from the West Indies would've been more of satisfaction and relief than arrogance. Do I need to remind you that you haven't even qualified for the next ICC tournament? And there is no World T20 for another 4 years, so calm down. This will be forgotten quickly. Teams are still very much judged by how they do in Test and ODI cricket. And if you think winning a World T20 title will "remind the world of what it was like when Viv strutted his stuff"......... :lmaoagain

You will remind the world of "what it was like when Viv strutted his stuff" when this team acheives even 0.00000000000000000001 % of what Viv and co did in Test and ODI cricket. Until then, cherish this moment but don't get carried away. Or else, the next 4 years without a World T20 might be hard to digest. :thumb

By the way, I was quite happy for the Windies to win this but all this finger pointing and laughing at teams who didn't win this tournament (but have achieved far more in the other formats than this West Indies team) just because some of their journos and ex players criticised the WI's arrogance leaves a sour taste in the mouth. A team that has been as awful as WI for the last few years should exhibit a bit more humility than arrogance, I'd have thought. :thumb

They also won the Women's World T20 and U19 World Cup so WI cricket isn't exactly in a bad place at the moment.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby shankycricket » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:27 pm

Women's cricket has got absolutely nothing to do with Men's cricket. Their women's team has always been decent, hasn't it? With all due respect, I don't follow it much and am not too fussed with what happens there. I am talking solely about the Men's teams here. Yes, the U19 WC was a major boost but winning at U19 level merely suggests you have great raw talent. For that to translate into success at the senior international level, you need a good domestic structure for these raw talents to progress and flourish and take their game to the next level. Under the current WICB management, I am not holding my breath on that happening though I really hope I'm wrong. International cricket needs a strong West Indies.

And please, this World T20 win means absolutely nothing for their future. Only really Russell and Brathwaite are likely to play again for them and that too at best in the shorter formats. Not a single one in their squad that can be considered a Test player.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Re: Warne vs Samuels

Postby mikesiva » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:32 pm

'West Indies cricketer Marlon Samuels will be receiving a full apology and undisclosed "substantial damages", after successfully suing former Australian cricketer Geoff Lawson and broadcaster 2KY for defamation. The apology to Samuels is due for broadcast on air at a time to be agreed. Samuels instructed his lawyers Richard Owen-Thomas and Suzette A Thompson in London after defamatory comments were made about him on the Big Sports Breakfast radio programme on April 4 last year. During the radio podcast Lawson made erroneous, malicious unjustifiable comments accusing Samuels of being involved with criminal gangs in Jamaica.'

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Sa ... off-Lawson

'The law suit also includes journalist James Matthey, who published a news story on the website news.com.au, accusing Samuels of ‘being involved with criminal gangs in Jamaica’. The statement states that both the website and Big Sports Breakfast have also been sued for defamation for publishing and airing the comments. The article also highlights the strong comments that Samuels had made against Shane Warne following his second man-of-the-final winning World T20 performance in response to a few extremely critical remarks that the Australian spin legend had passed about the West Indian.'

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports ... n-2894602/

I'm glad Samuels is receiving "substantial damages" from that jackass Lawson...those accusations, in the wake of Samuels vs Warne, were out of order.