Much Ado about Dave Warner

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Much Ado about Dave Warner

Postby GarlicJam » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:16 am

D/L wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:I like Warner, with him what you see is what you get in contrast to Clarke who appears to be somewhat two faced. To my mind the Aussie camp made far too much of the Root incident and a simple fine and apology would have sufficed...

Far too much? I wonder what the punishment would have been for an ordinary bloke in an ordinary job who had lamped an employee of a competitor company.

In the circumstance that Warner clocked Root - nothing at all. Nothing in the slightest.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby GarlicJam » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:49 am

D/L wrote:
GarlicJam wrote:
D/L wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:I like Warner, with him what you see is what you get in contrast to Clarke who appears to be somewhat two faced. To my mind the Aussie camp made far too much of the Root incident and a simple fine and apology would have sufficed...

Far too much? I wonder what the punishment would have been for an ordinary bloke in an ordinary job who had lamped an employee of a competitor company.

In the circumstance that Warner clocked Root - nothing at all. Nothing in the slightest.

I'm surprised that anyone not involved in the incident would be aware of the precise circumstances but, even supposing that's possible, that's a rather strange comment to make.

Not at all.

By "in the circumstance", I mean out of work hours, out of work premises, not on work business, in his own time. The ordinary bloke is only working for his employer for that 8 (or so) hours a day. What he does in his own time is none of his employer's business.

Of course, how the law may view his actions is a completely different matter.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Gingerfinch » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:51 am

GarlicJam wrote:
D/L wrote:
GarlicJam wrote:
D/L wrote:

I'm surprised that anyone not involved in the incident would be aware of the precise circumstances but, even supposing that's possible, that's a rather strange comment to make.

Not at all.

By "in the circumstance", I mean out of work hours, out of work premises, not on work business, in his own time. The ordinary bloke is only working for his employer for that 8 (or so) hours a day. What he does in his own time is none of his employer's business.

I reckon I would still be in trouble with my boss if I were to hit a competitor even if was on a Saturday night, ie out of hours.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby GarlicJam » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:58 am

Dr Robert wrote:I reckon I would still be in trouble with my boss if I were to hit a competitor even if was on a Saturday night, ie out of hours.

Ah, but of course you are not the ordinary man, Dr Bob. You are quite extraordinary.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby Gingerfinch » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:11 pm

GarlicJam wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:I reckon I would still be in trouble with my boss if I were to hit a competitor even if was on a Saturday night, ie out of hours.

Ah, but of course you are not the ordinary man, Dr Bob. You are quite extraordinary.

The opposite to extraordinary and you have your man :)
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby D/L » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:22 pm

GarlicJam wrote:
D/L wrote:

D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby KipperJohn » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:30 pm

GarlicJam wrote:
D/L wrote:
GarlicJam wrote:
D/L wrote:

Not at all.

Don't think that's how it works in the UK GJ. If you commit a criminal offence outside of your employment - your employer can still take action against you if they think it affects the job, company etc. and any number of disciplinary measures can be taken, including dismissal. Of course there is the right of appeal.
KipperJohn

Postby GarlicJam » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:46 pm

Surprising KJ, after all, the UK usually are quite strong on individual rights. Interesting question though, is it a criminal offence if Root hasn't pressed charges?

I was thinking after I posted the above comment that depending on the nature of the crime, if I had been convicted of a crime, my employer would most certainly have the rights to have their say in the matter, all the way to dismissal. Crimes relating to violence, drugs, of a sexual nature, and possibly involving dishonesty could have me in trouble, as I am in Education. I don't see that my neighbour who (say) is a bricklayer, would have anything to be concerned about here, though.

Sportspeople DO have to conform to higher ideals, but for the professional ones, that is no doubt a part of their contract. As certain behavioural stipulations will be part of employment conditions in a variety of specific work areas.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby KipperJohn » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:31 am

I think it virtually certain that any bodily assault is a criminal offence, but how it is dealt with depends on whether the incident was reported to the police. If they weren't involved then I don't see how it could be processed through the criminal justice system.

If it was reported the police can presumably decide themselves whether to submit any evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service or take any other action that may be within their powers. I don't know exactly how the law stands but they would presumably take the complainant's wishes into account and, of course, whatever evidence there may be.

I suspect there are so many incidents of this nature anyway that much depends on how individual officers interpret the situation they are faced with at the scene.
KipperJohn

Postby mikesiva » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:49 pm

The only controversy surrounding Warner is when he plays England....

He's just another cricketer when he plays any other Test team. I watched him batting in Barbados last year, and I felt no feelings of controversy about him. I can't help feeling that the Ashes contests are a bit too overhyped. The media in both countries take the Ashes way too seriously, and are too eager to find players to hate. English media and fans boo Warner wherever possible, and Aussie media and fans boo Stuart Broad wherever possible. I think it's time for both sets of media and fans to take a step back from the brink, and to ask themselves, is all this really cricket?
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby D/L » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:26 pm

mikesiva wrote:The only controversy surrounding Warner is when he plays England....

He's just another cricketer when he plays any other Test team. I watched him batting in Barbados last year, and I felt no feelings of controversy about him. I can't help feeling that the Ashes contests are a bit too overhyped. The media in both countries take the Ashes way too seriously, and are too eager to find players to hate. English media and fans boo Warner wherever possible, and Aussie media and fans boo Stuart Broad wherever possible. I think it's time for both sets of media and fans to take a step back from the brink, and to ask themselves, is all this really cricket?

It all sells newspapers and tickets. It may be mistaken to expect people driven by profit to try to sell less of them.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:49 am

mikesiva wrote:The only controversy surrounding Warner is when he plays England....

The Ashes is so much more than a cricket series though, Mike. It's a sporting tradition that launched the sport onto the international landscape. It's when two countries go to war against each other, then sit down and have a beer together when it's all over. It's about a collection of colonial upstarts sticking up two fingers to their former masters... and sometimes getting their bums smacked for doing so. It's a contest where the rest of the cricket world pauses to take notice (a bit like the IPL). It's about history littered with greatness and controversies, and it's about the dreams of just about every kid living in those two great countries. The deeds committed in these contests are remembered forever, far longer than the deeds committed in any other series.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:54 am

Stirring post fts. I can hear this being used to promote the series. Maybe read by Patrick Stewart or Ben Kingsley.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:42 am

I read this last night;

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013-14/content/story/691867.html

A few points to come out of this;

1 - Dave Warner was right about Trott, he was packing himself against MJ and everyone knew it.
2 - Dave Warner obviously feels that he's earned the right to shoot his mouth off because of his on field success yesterday, which is fair enough.
3 - Dave Warner's comments about sledging are really nothing new, and all he is doing here is sledging Trott through the media. He's not exactly Robinson Crusoe there.
4 - Dave Warner is resigned to never becoming captain of Australia, so therefore he doesn't need to exercise the diplomacy of someone who does have that aspiration.
5 - Dave Warner is a tool-box, but so too are the majority of players featuring in this Test match.

Love him or loathe him, and it would be easier to loathe him, Dave Warner looks set for an extended run in the Test side after his performance yesterday. Adelaide is one of his favourite grounds, so I'd expect him to score heavily there. As for his relationship with the England players, there is clearly no love lost there. Warner seems to have assumed the role of villain in the eyes of English fans, which appears to be a role he is comfortable with, just as Stuart Broad has done with the Oz fans. What they share in common is that they are both found wanting between the ears on occasions, yet are both very fine cricketers.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby Kim » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:46 pm

And when he plays against South Africa A

And when he has twitter arguments with Aussie journalists...

He clearly broke the ICC code of conduct with his comments about Trott but, as it happens, I think it probably sounded worse than he meant it and maybe he shouldn't have been put up before the press when he was so pumped. Personally I find most press conferences bland in the extreme so am not going to moan when someone says something interesting.
The Kookaburra Man
Kim

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket