Much Ado about Dave Warner

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Much Ado about Dave Warner

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:13 pm

He just nailed a second innings ton against us, nothing else matters.

Easiest way to stop someone mouthing off is to have them back in the hutch early doors, not whinging about it.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby shankycricket » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:34 pm

from_the_stands wrote:
mikesiva wrote:The only controversy surrounding Warner is when he plays England....

He's just another cricketer when he plays any other Test team. I watched him batting in Barbados last year, and I felt no feelings of controversy about him. I can't help feeling that the Ashes contests are a bit too overhyped. The media in both countries take the Ashes way too seriously, and are too eager to find players to hate. English media and fans boo Warner wherever possible, and Aussie media and fans boo Stuart Broad wherever possible. I think it's time for both sets of media and fans to take a step back from the brink, and to ask themselves, is all this really cricket?

The Ashes is so much more than a cricket series though, Mike. It's a sporting tradition that launched the sport onto the international landscape. It's when two countries go to war against each other, then sit down and have a beer together when it's all over. It's about a collection of colonial upstarts sticking up two fingers to their former masters... and sometimes getting their bums smacked for doing so. It's a contest where the rest of the cricket world pauses to take notice (a bit like the IPL). It's about history littered with greatness and controversies, and it's about the dreams of just about every kid living in those two great countries. The deeds committed in these contests are remembered forever, far longer than the deeds committed in any other series.

Can't believe you compared the Ashes to the IPL.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby Chris de Burgh » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:18 am

Attention wise the IPL is as gawdy as they come and does attract more attention. Quality wise the Ashes is streets ahead and doesn't need all the flashy gimmicks employed by the IPL. I must confess I am a big cynic as regards 20/20 but even with that taken into consideration I've never seen anything in the IPL and it's gosh awful commentary and product mentions/placement.
Climb the pipe to the train or you'll go insane, wut wut.
Chris de Burgh

Team(s) Supported: Northants, New Zealand, Holland
Northampton Town, Arsenal, Gamba Osaka, Malta, Sliema Wanderers, Bray Wanderers, Japan

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:19 am

Oh c'mon Shanks, the IPL is a quality comp. It's not the Ashes, but it's up there in terms of garnering the attention of the cricket world.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby Making_Splinters » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:29 am

from_the_stands wrote:Oh c'mon Shanks, the IPL is a quality comp. It's not the Ashes, but it's up there in terms of garnering the attention of the cricket world.

In all honesty, more attention.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby D/L » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:01 am

from_the_stands wrote:Oh c'mon Shanks, the IPL is a quality comp,,.

The best single word description I can think of the IPL and the ethos surrounding it is "tawdry".

Back to Warner. As long as it’s legal, why should anyone care what he says? They are only words and, in his case, words uttered by someone whose actions would suggest he may be a sandwich short of a picnic.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:10 pm

I quite like Dave Warner. the 'scared eyes' thing is exactly the sort of banter required of a short leg/ silly point fielder. Effective too. I lost track of the number of dismissals of england batsmen softly fending the ball to close in fielders.

Don't approve of the 'breaking arm' thing, that certainly crosses a line in my book, despite what MV thinks, but how much of that was Warner I couldn't say. It seemed more like Clarke to me, which doesn't surprise me. After seeing him operate at close quarters earlier in the year, I definitely get the feeling that the class he oozes as a batsman is most certainly not evident as a man
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby andy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Warner has admitted he may have gone too far, but has stopped short of apolgising.
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:13 pm

My criticism of Warner's comments in the media were based on what I saw as hubris, and his comments' ability to actually work against Australia.

I don't see Cook's point about not making comments in public about an opposition player's shortcomings, when 1. it is absolutely fine to heap praise upon them publicly, 2. it is par for the course to sledge, abuse and insult them on the pitch, and 3. plenty of media pundits had far, far worse to say about Trott's performance.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby andy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:53 pm

CA must be tearing their hair out though with Warner...its always one thing after another with him..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby from_the_stands » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:28 pm

The Dave Warner juggernaut continues to roll on. After shooting his mouth off once more, he's followed it up with another fine batting performance. Whilst I cringe every time he opens his mouth, he does tend to back it up every time. I guess I'll have to get used to his mouth if he is to continue the good form he is obviously in. Perhaps he should start writing a newspaper column, providing a forum for him to say stupid things. I guess i should be happy that he hasn't had a swing at one of the Saffer's. With Dale Steyn due to be an IPL team mate this year, maybe Warner will take a swipe at him after having a few drinks after a game. Can't wait to see how he goes against the Pakistani's.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Previous

Return to International Cricket