Jonathan Trott's stress illness

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Australia v England 1st Test; Brisbane, Nov 21-25

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:12 am

Good luck to Trott in his recovery.

The timing of things won't help, in that it will be blamed on his inability to handle Johnson/Warner.

So, this is an ongoing issue - where does the ECB (or even down to Flower, Gooch, Cook etc) stand on duty of care? Sending an ill colleague out on an Ashes tour is not a good thing.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Re: Australia v England 1st Test; Brisbane, Nov 21-25

Postby D/L » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:52 am

GarlicJam wrote:Good luck to Trott in his recovery...

Yes, of course, but I’d expect him to have now played his last test match.

We need to avoid what happened when the selectors thought Trescothick had recovered from a “stress related” condition.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby sussexpob » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:33 am

I think all that matters is that Jonathan Trott goes away to a place he feels comfortable and begins to feel better. I think that comments about his international future are ridiculous at this stage, and comparisons to Trescothick are just major ignorance and disrespectful. I wish we could all live in a world where the stigma and lack of understanding other people have on these issues isnt manifested in ignorant comments or sweeping statements. People dont have the attitude of "well why doesnt he just stand" when someone is in a wheelchair!

Do you really think a 90mph bouncer to a professional cricketer can make him ill GJ? Do you really think a person who doesnt know themselves why or where it comes can predict when it will strike again D/L? Do you really think that its fair to disbar a person from a tour based on a previous illness? Why should this be treated any different from a broken arm? All players get injured, why is this terminal?

Its always been the same way.... its like mental illness means a persons life or career has to come to an end! He could go away and next week feel as good as he ever has!
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby pompeymeowth » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:51 am

100% agree Pob, it's bad enough when you are just a run of the mill person like myself, when you are in the public eye I can imagine (truth be told I pretty much know, make of that what you will) it must be indescribably unbearable.
pompeymeowth

Team(s) Supported: Sussex. Cruzeiro and Pompey of course.

Australia v England 1st Test; Brisbane, Nov 21-25

Postby D/L » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:12 pm

I fail to see how comparisons with Trescothick are either ignorant or disrespectful, certainly not as ignorant as comments in which the comparison is dismissed and what could possibly be disrespectful about those that have been made here so far? As well as seeming to be sympathetic towards the problems that Trott is having, they are entirely valid.

What is less valid is the apparent view that, in highly paid professional sport, problems of this nature can or should be regarded in exactly the same way that a physical injury is. Recent experience should surely have taught everyone that lesson.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby sussexpob » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:31 pm

GarlicJam wrote:
sussexpob wrote:Do you really think a 90mph bouncer to a professional cricketer can make him ill GJ?

:hmmm

I think that you need to go back and re-read my comment.

"The timing of things won't help, in that it will be blamed on his inability to handle Johnson/Warner".... ie, the ability to handle Johnsons bowling!
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:47 pm

I think the comments made have been well meaning. It's difficult to know what to say in situations of another's personal distress. It's chastening when you discover that someone who has been in your plain sight has been suffering without you knowing. I'm glad he has made a decision which will at least take some unnecessary pressure off him. And I hope he makes a full recovery.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:51 pm

Maybe it will encourage the players to take a step back from the verbal conflict they have been engaging in.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:03 pm

D/L wrote:I fail to see how comparisons with Trescothick are either ignorant or disrespectful, certainly not as ignorant as comments in which the comparison is dismissed and what could possibly be disrespectful about those that have been made here so far? As well as seeming to be sympathetic towards the problems that Trott is having, they are entirely valid.

What is less valid is the apparent view that, in highly paid professional sport, problems of this nature can or should be regarded in exactly the same way that a physical injury is. Recent experience should surely have taught everyone that lesson.

Maybe I am being overtly sensative, but D/L, its clear that even from the two comments you have made there is a complete lack of understanding in what you are saying.

I wont flood this thread with a long post about it.

sussexpob

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:25 pm

sussexpob wrote:Do you really think a 90mph bouncer to a professional cricketer can make him ill GJ?

:hmmm

I think that you need to go back and re-read my comment.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby sussexpob » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:50 pm

Also, if Trott’s condition is one of “long standing”, as we are told, the ECB need to answer the question why did they continue to select Trott after it was diagnosed. Doing so has certainly affected the team’s chances of success and, more importantly, may have worsened Trott’s condition

Seriously D/L, if you dont know about this then I would prefer you dont comment. I fine the last part of the above quite staggering, and completely technically incorrect

sussexpob

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:54 pm

Trott has had a long standing illness. This may mean he knew of it when he was scoring runs, so you cannot blame the selectors, if this was the case.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:13 pm

Dr Robert wrote:Trott has had a long standing illness. This may mean he knew of it when he was scoring runs, so you cannot blame the selectors, if this was the case.

This seems reasonable to me. If someone has a condition that is well managed enough for him to play, then he should play. If IJLT has had something like an acute on chronic worsening of his condition, then, sadly, he has to step aside. But for the selectors to drop him as a caution against his problem getting worse would be bad management. Of course, we want Trott to play if he is in the right frame of mind
Arthur Crabtree

Postby pompeymeowth » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:08 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:I think the comments made have been well meaning. It's difficult to know what to say in situations of another's personal distress. It's chastening when you discover that someone who has been in your plain sight has been suffering without you knowing. I'm glad he has made a decision which will at least take some unnecessary pressure off him. And I hope he makes a full recovery.

Well said Arthur. It is difficult. The best thing to say, if one is not sure is as little as possible.
pompeymeowth

Team(s) Supported: Sussex. Cruzeiro and Pompey of course.

Re: Jonathan Trott's stress illness

Postby Kim » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:20 pm

The Kookaburra Man
Kim

Next

Return to International Cricket