Jonathan Trott's stress illness

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Jonathan Trott's stress illness

Postby rich1uk » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:17 pm

KipperJohn wrote:
I've no desire to cross swords rich over this - your views are respected by me. I speak from a patient's point of view - stress, anxiety etc all operate at different levels for every individual. I'm not saying Trott can overcome his difficulties, but if he's declared fit and Is in form he should be given the chance -just like anyone else who has suffered illness or injury.

I distinctly remember all the old stuff about Bell being 'mentally weak' - it was disgraceful nonsense and has proved to be so. That's not a comparison with Trott who obviously has a specific problem - it justs highlights the ignorance of people who bandy such terms around.

not trying to cross swords at all KJ , just here to discuss things , this is a obviously a very subjective issue

I completely agree that how people are affected by stress-related illness varies tremendously, I have said I am obviously making assumptions here without any direct knowledge as well, and one of the reasons it is so hard to treat successfully as there is no one size fits all answer like you find with most physical illnesses

all I was saying was altho it is very possible to overcome a stress-related illness, as you said, and resume a "normal" life , it isn't common to actually resume all aspects of your previous life as if nothing had happened. in fact a lot of therapists try to manage your expectations about being able to do that during therapy

i'm saying this as someone with the utmost respect for trott as a cricketer and feel we have missed him as well
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby shankycricket » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:14 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:I've often heard the expression 'if he's good enough, he old enough' used about young talent, is not also true that 'if he's good enough he's young enough' equally valid.

I would pick Trott, if fit, to go to the World Cup because we badly need a top class batsman in the side. I would not pick him after the World Cup if he doesn't go to Australia simply because there are a lot of young players who could play for England well into the future.

Agreed.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby Gingerfinch » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:17 pm

2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby sussexpob » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:50 pm

Dr Robert wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/29802268

I don't know about the Lions thing with Trotty, if he is fit enough to tour then there is no need to prove himself with the Lions.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Gingerfinch » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:04 pm

sussexpob wrote:

I don't know about the Lions thing with Trotty, if he is fit enough to tour then there is no need to prove himself with the Lions.

Probably testing that he can tour?
Gingerfinch

Postby sussexpob » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:08 pm

Dr Robert wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

Im not sure with the nature of his condition you can recreate or test for a relapse like that. Test cricket as opposed to FC comes with a unique level of pressure and competitiveness, so its not really a comparable testing environment to produce anything worthwhile.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby KipperJohn » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:11 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

Im not sure with the nature of his condition you can recreate or test for a relapse like that. Test cricket as opposed to FC comes with a unique level of pressure and competitiveness, so its not really a comparable testing environment to produce anything worthwhile.

The negativity around JT's illness really winds me up. Here is a very good player who has been there and done it at the highest level. He should be given the same chance to prove that he can do it again, as any other player who has suffered an injury.. It's a risk, but any selection carries a risk, especially with players returning from injury - just ask Swann. The selectors will have all the medical data and so on. He's been signed off as fit

Trott obviously feels it's in his best interests to pursue his England career and he will know the risks better than anyone. If he wanted to he could just carry on playing for Warwicks where he's just got a new contract.

I for one wish him well.
KipperJohn

Postby sussexpob » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:26 pm

KipperJohn wrote:
sussexpob wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

The negativity around JT's illness really winds me up. Here is a very good player who has been there and done it at the highest level. He should be given the same chance to prove that he can do it again, as any other player who has suffered an injury.. It's a risk, but any selection carries a risk, especially with players returning from injury - just ask Swann. The selectors will have all the medical data and so on. He's been signed off as fit

Trott obviously feels it's in his best interests to pursue his England career and he will know the risks better than anyone. If he wanted to he could just carry on playing for Warwicks where he's just got a new contract.

I for one wish him well.

Not sure if you are disagreeing with the second of my posts, but the bottom line is we have the same opinion; if he is fit to tour, then he is fit to tour. He is good enough to walk into the test batting line up, so I don't really see the point of sending him to the B team.

sussexpob

Postby Gingerfinch » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:33 pm

I'm guessing they are checking to see if he is fit to tour, as in being away from his environment, rather than seeing if he can still bat. Therefore this Lion tour seems logical.
Gingerfinch

Postby SaintPowelly » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:25 pm

Dr Robert wrote:I'm guessing they are checking to see if he is fit to tour, as in being away from his environment, rather than seeing if he can still bat. Therefore this Lion tour seems logical.

:thumb
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby hopeforthebest » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:35 pm

Returning to international cricket, albeit in the Lions team, in the country of his birth will add to the pressure and be a real test for him. I suspect we shall see him batting at 4 where he's been playing recently and Ballance retained at 3.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:00 pm

There's not an obvious place for him in the Test team. But there is in the ODI side. So why is he only in the first class squad? An older pro- the old Rob Key role?
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby hopeforthebest » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:37 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:There's not an obvious place for him in the Test team. But there is in the ODI side. So why is he only in the first class squad? An older pro- the old Rob Key role?

The next world cup is 4 years away so I guess they are looking at players who are young enough to be there, or they simply feel a short tour is long enough to start with.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:55 pm

Fair point. I was wondering about this one though.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:13 am

Maybe Trott is lining up behind Bell in Tests? Funny that when all the batters fell off, Trott did more markedly so than the others. Yet, for KP, his lack of form was used as a reason to drop him. But for Trott, it isn't an impediment to his return.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket