Jonathan Trott's stress illness

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Jonathan Trott's stress illness

Postby sussexpob » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:57 pm

I dont really know how you can make sweeping judgements about a players capacity to perform based on something he is suffering from. Plenty of people live through this with ordinary lives, and more often then not its a case of only discussing it once it becomes so much of a burden you can no longer control it. In that being said, Trott could have been fine the day before.

What is the cause? I certainly dont know and neither can you, and neither can many people. this idea that even the high pressure of cricket causes it is pretty non founded. It may not be cricket related, and with such issues people operate in a bubble, always deciding between what is comfortable and what is not, somewhat irrationally too.

Even Marcus Trescothick has said that to begin with what he would know as depression in the future was something positive on the field... the adrenaline of anxiety helped him hit hard, helped him move quicker, made him better! Before it became too much he had slapped 193 vs Pakistan on our disaster tour, and have a 30 month period where he was arguably the best opener in the world.

Doesnt fit in with your disable idiot capable of nothing does it? Matthew Hoggard also said on a tour in 2002 he felt like crying before bowling he felt that down... 17 wickets @ 23.

More likely, she is somebody in a fashionable “non-job” putting unnecessary fears into young, hopeful, cricket players.

That is downright offensive
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby D/L » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:59 pm

sussexpob wrote:
More likely, she is somebody in a fashionable “non-job” putting unnecessary fears into young, hopeful, cricket players.

That is downright offensive

Take offence if you wish, though how you can is difficult to see. I won’t apologise for saying that sometimes someone who is a “fully qualified professional” has qualifications that aren’t worth the paper they are printed on.

Any road up, re offensiveness, I’ll take no lectures from you.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby Kim » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:03 pm

The Kookaburra Man
Kim

Postby D/L » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:12 pm

Kim wrote:Magnificent by George Dobell - http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2 ... 92537.html

Yes, it’s a good, thoughtful article and I suppose some of the more surprising things it contains, we have to take at face value.

This bit puzzles me a little, though…

“Without his normal routine and without the comforting influence of family and home, there was no one to tell him it was one bad innings or one bad game; no one to limit the scale of the failure or remind him of the perspective. No one to tell him to turn off the TV and get some sleep. The England management knew this and managed it well.”

Given what it has come to, how could the England management have known about it and also managed it well?
D/L

Postby D/L » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:23 pm

KipperJohn wrote:...Trott remains a world-class batsman - nothing has changed that - and for anyone to suggest at this stage that his international career is over beggars belief.

There is no parallel at all then with what happened to Trescothick? His international career didn’t survive leaving the squad at the start of the 2006/7 Ashes tour.

From all we have seen reported, it cannot be claimed there are no similarities.

I hope Trott does recover and returns to the team but that seems to be a matter for the fairly distant future now.
D/L

Postby andy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:37 pm

was devastated for the guy when i heard this earlier...it does have alarming similarities with Tres, however at this stage only Trott himself knows how bad it is..fair play to him for admitting it which was brave in itself, and i hope the guy makes a full recovery, and hopefully maybe one day we see him back in an england shirt :salute
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Kim » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:41 pm

D/L wrote:
Kim wrote:Magnificent by George Dobell - http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2 ... 92537.html

Yes, it’s a good, thoughtful article and I suppose some of the more surprising things it contains, we have to take at face value.

“Without his normal routine and without the comforting influence of family and home, there was no one to tell him it was one bad innings or one bad game; no one to limit the scale of the failure or remind him of the perspective. No one to tell him to turn off the TV and get some sleep. The England management knew this and managed it well.”

Given what it has come to, how could the England management have known about it and also managed it well?

I don't see a contradiction at all - its perfectly possible to manage something well for years but still have an unsatisfactory conclusion as perhaps some new trigger intervenes. Until we know - which we never will - what precipitated what happened today, I don't think we can apportion blame. And I'm not sure we need to anyway.

As Graeme Fowler has just said - "The ECB did, I repeat did, have good procedures in place for Trott sadly the path of a mental illness does not follow a procedure."
The Kookaburra Man
Kim

Postby D/L » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:48 pm

Kim wrote:
D/L wrote:

I don't see a contradiction at all - its perfectly possible to manage something well for years but still have an unsatisfactory conclusion as perhaps some new trigger intervenes. Until we know - which we never will - what precipitated what happened today, I don't think we can apportion blame. And I'm not sure we need to anyway.

As Graeme Fowler has just said - "The ECB did, I repeat did, have good procedures in place for Trott sadly the path of a mental illness does not follow a procedure."

A completely unpredictable event aside, I’m not too sure how something can be well managed and not have a satisfactory outcome.

Perhaps what we have seen arises from the triumph of hope over experience.
D/L

Postby Kim » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:54 pm

Perhaps, as Fowler, who has suffered from depression, suggests, the paths of an illness like this aren't predictable?

But Its not something I know anything about so I wont and cant comment further on the illness itself.
The Kookaburra Man
Kim

Postby D/L » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:00 pm

A good reason then, perhaps, for taking action a little earlier, action that may not have exposed Trott's condition to the attention of the world. That in itself may not be helpful to him in his recovery.
D/L

Postby Making_Splinters » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:04 pm

The ECBs words ring very hollow given their abysmal track record at supporting players with emotional and mental health difficulties in recent memory.

A short list, off the top of my head and likely not complete: Trescothick, Hoggard, Yardy, Davies, Bopara, KP and now Trott.

Sorry if I don't take the ECBs words very seriously, they've struggled to even manage physical injuries of late.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:07 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:Makes you wonder if Mitchell Johnson has suffered from a similar illness, his game went completely off the boil and was subject to abuse from the Barmy Army in the last Ashes series down under.

He certainly did have psychological after-effects from the treatment he received from the fans during the tour. A couple of weeks back he discussed seeking professional help to deal with it.

Something that speaks a lot for his current state of mind - that he was willing to discuss it in the media.

I'd have no idea of just where the delineation between "issues" and "illness", if it exists, is. Just as where is the line between a knock and an injury? Is it down to one's ability to function in a "normal" fashion?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Re: Australia v England 1st Test; Brisbane, Nov 21-25

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:57 pm

sussexpob wrote:
GarlicJam wrote:
sussexpob wrote:Do you really think a 90mph bouncer to a professional cricketer can make him ill GJ?

:hmmm

I think that you need to go back and re-read my comment.

"The timing of things won't help, in that it will be blamed on his inability to handle Johnson/Warner".... ie, the ability to handle Johnsons bowling!

in that it will be blamed on - by the mug public (of which, of course we don't belong in), not by me. I would have thought that the rest of my post indicated that.

I'm a bit miffed that you thought I was that thick. A bit overly keen to take offence, maybe?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Re: Australia v England 1st Test; Brisbane, Nov 21-25

Postby sussexpob » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:04 pm

GarlicJam wrote:
sussexpob wrote:
GarlicJam wrote:
sussexpob wrote:Do you really think a 90mph bouncer to a professional cricketer can make him ill GJ?

:hmmm

I think that you need to go back and re-read my comment.

"The timing of things won't help, in that it will be blamed on his inability to handle Johnson/Warner".... ie, the ability to handle Johnsons bowling!

in that it will be blamed on - by the mug public (of which, of course we don't belong in), not by me. I would have thought that the rest of my post indicated that.

I'm a bit miffed that you thought I was that thick. A bit overly keen to take offence, maybe?

No offence was taken. I was merely stating a point that illness like this are not fear of 90mph bouncers, they are much more deeprouted.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:45 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/n ... rott-ashes

Worth a look, about cricket and depression.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket