There may be troubles ahead: England selection issues.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: There may be troubles ahead: England selection issues.

Postby Kim » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:56 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:He must have had a good end of season, because I remember looking up the Div1 spinners and only Jeetan Patel had figures that weren't terrible. And yet Raynor ended the season with 41 wickets at 23. Unless I missed him.

His figures are "distorted" by 15 wickets for about 100 in a late match v Surrey where the latter prepared a raging turner for Keedy and Batty - who took loads of wickets as well.

Don't think he's anywhere near England class TBH. And he has a "curious" action as well.

Middlesex do though have a young spinner - Ravi Patel- who is miles away but very promising.
The Kookaburra Man
Kim

Postby mikesiva » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:07 am

I believe in horses for courses....

Just because Anderson and Bresnan can swing the ball and bowl well in England, doesn't mean they will destroy everybody on the hard, bouncy pitches of Australia. I believe that tall pacers, such as Tremlett, Finn and Rankin should've been used ahead of that duo in Australia. It might not have necessarily given England victory, but I believe it would've given England a better shot than persisting with Anderson and trying out Bresnan.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby andy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:14 am

have i seriously just seen someone suggest Ollie Rayner for national selection..? :facepalm
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby meninblue » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:48 pm

Selectors are helpless here though. Only one player is in form and he too is injured now. Even picking one in form player is tough now.It is impossible for any selector to select a good team for this series.All they can do is wait for the core payers to come back in form for further series and that's the only solution.Whereas Aussies have Warner,Clarke, Haddin, Mitch, Harris, Siddle.This series is a huge mismatch on form basis.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:25 pm

Yes, we obviously need an idea of what to do to change the situation. Which squad changes, if any need to be made in the short term. Who is going to be coach. And a look at how we prepare for games and tours.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby shankycricket » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:04 pm

mikesiva wrote:I believe in horses for courses....

Just because Anderson and Bresnan can swing the ball and bowl well in England, doesn't mean they will destroy everybody on the hard, bouncy pitches of Australia. I believe that tall pacers, such as Tremlett, Finn and Rankin should've been used ahead of that duo in Australia. It might not have necessarily given England victory, but I believe it would've given England a better shot than persisting with Anderson and trying out Bresnan.

Did you just suggest Tremlett ahead of Anderson? I mean... :facepalm
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby sussexpob » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:24 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:have i seriously just seen someone suggest Ollie Rayner for national selection..? :facepalm

Brice McGain Part II
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:30 pm

If England had left out Anderson, and were about to go 3-0 down, I wonder what the opinion of the press/pundits/commentators would be!
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby greyblazer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:14 am

shankycricket wrote:

At his worst James Anderson is a better seamer than Tremlett at present and even Finn. Just because he hasn't found the kind of seam movement that he has done before doesn't mean he is just a swing bowler. This thing of saying only tall guys find some movement off the pitch is just crazy. Ryan Harris or Siddle aren't tall but they extracted more movement off the pitch than Tremlett did at Gabba. Also remember Anderson took 24 wickets in 2010-11. If he was just a swing bowler he would have got about 3 as around 21 of his wickets came primarily because of his ability to extract movement off the pitch.
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby D/L » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:45 pm

Slipstream wrote:...I wouldn't have dropped Finn who is a wicket taker, s/r 48.3. Has taken wickets in every one of his 23 Tests. He should have kept his place after Trent Bridge...

If Finn had kept his place after Trent Bridge it could have been quite plausibly claimed that very poor form had ceased to become an issue when selecting a team.

As we saw at Trent Bridge, poor performance by one member of the pace attack can place additional, possibly unreasonable, demands upon its other members, more so than within a batting line-up. Fortunately, Anderson seemed to cope with that on this occasion but may not on another.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby hopeforthebest » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:01 pm

greyblazer wrote:
shankycricket wrote:

At his worst James Anderson is a better seamer than Tremlett at present and even Finn. Just because he hasn't found the kind of seam movement that he has done before doesn't mean he is just a swing bowler. This thing of saying only tall guys find some movement off the pitch is just crazy. Ryan Harris or Siddle aren't tall but they extracted more movement off the pitch than Tremlett did at Gabba. Also remember Anderson took 24 wickets in 2010-11. If he was just a swing bowler he would have got about 3 as around 21 of his wickets came primarily because of his ability to extract movement off the pitch.

I seem to remember that the weather conditions in 2010-11 were totally different to those England are currently facing. The was far more moisture around and lower temperatures especially at Melbourne and Sydney, Queensland suffered terrible floods. Indeed I can't remember the current team facing conditions similar to the current ones. Maybe our batsmen and bowlers are simply unable to deal with conditions they have rarely faced before. I can't remember the conditions of 2006-7 because I relied on TMS for coverage back then.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby greyblazer » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:55 pm

The Gabba track was flat as was the Sydney one. At Adelaide it swung for a mere 4 to 5 overs. If someone says the Sydney track of 2009-10 had plenty of moisture in it you agree but not the 2010-11 one. In the last 3 years he has largely succeeded because of his ability to seam the ball. He has hardly taken wickets by prodigiously swinging it away from home. Ando though since the start of the Durham Test has suddenly lost that ability to move the ball off the track and only he knows why it has happened
2010 IPL prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby sussexpob » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:57 pm

greyblazer wrote:The Gabba track was flat as was the Sydney one. At Adelaide it swung for a mere 4 to 5 overs. If someone says the Sydney track of 2009-10 had plenty of moisture in it you agree but not the 2010-11 one. In the last 3 years he has largely succeeded because of his ability to seam the ball. He has hardly taken wickets by prodigiously swinging it away from home. Ando though has suddenly lost that ability to move the ball off the track and only he knows why it has happened

I dont think its anything technical. The back to back match in the last ashes knackered him out, and he hasnt looked fit to 100% since. This Ashes reminds me of the 06-07 for Anderson, a time when he also was forced to play through a complete lack of fitness and was canned.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby greyblazer » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:58 pm

If he doesn't get it back Anderson will be in major trouble. He isn't someone who gets bounce so needs to find that movement off the track.
2010 IPL prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:07 pm

positive note, at least. Stokes' knock ought to have secured him the number 6 slot for the rest of this tour. There are no tests between Sydney and the arrival of SL in May, so I imagine he will start at 6 next year and as long as he doesn't pick up an injury or completely screw it up, I'd imagine he will probably get the whole of the summer to nail the spot down, so at least that solves that problem for a while.

And of course his bowling means that his inclusion in the side, by default, also resolves the perennial 4 man/5 man debate, assuming they don't do anything stupid like bat him at 8 in a 4 man attack.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL