There may be troubles ahead: England selection issues.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: There may be troubles ahead: England selection issues.

Postby sussexpob » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:03 pm

I see the comparison between Westley and Vince being forwarded. Just like Vince, Westley might throw away all of his talent in a suicidal display of self defeatism, but I think the key for me is that Westley has displayed the most raw talent out of the newbies, and thats something that you cant just throw away when you are in England situation. I look at Westley, and see a guy if anything who wants to show he can play shots outside the off stump. A good spot of coaching could iron out this, but I guess Vince never could. Westley certainly has played a few lovely drives, used his feet vs SA against the spinner to nullify the ball (although his attempt to put him in the stand didnt end well) and of course, he crushes anything of his feet. With a bit of a handbrake on his game, he could become a Jon Trott of sorts.

Malan should be commended for coming up with a few scores, but I am always skeptical of a player who's only approach at the moment is to survive. And hes been lucky to survive at times. 2 x scratchy 50s in the long run dont show much to me. Theres a difference between riding out tough sessions against good bowling in tough conditions, and simply not having the belief in your ability to set the tone. Malan needs to go out and show some aggression and control a bit more before Im convinced in him.

Bit of a tale of two extremes. One batsman not comfortable enough to step up and play his natural game, the other responding too aggressively because he also probably doesnt have the belief in his ability to occupy the crease for long periods.

Stoneman just looks a distant way off in terms quality. I think he'll get obliterated in Australia.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Making_Splinters » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:13 pm

I like Westley as a player, and drew some gentle ribbing on here for suggesting he should be playing for England earlier in the season, but, I think right now that his tendency to try and play balls into the leg side and his obvious uncertainty in his game - as shown in his dismissal with a wild drive last Test - suggest to me that he'd be better served playing for Essex than England right now.

Sussex is quite correct that there are no major technical errors in his game, and he does have bundles of talent, but for me right now he is heading in the direction of Vince. Maybe some coaching and quiet words from his Essex team mate may help, but I do worry that he's just not ready. Malan has worked on his stance and back lift already to iron out a major issue, Westley has shown little signs of improvement as of yet.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby andy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:28 pm

ImO if Westley gets dropped don't think he will come back, tough for me to say as an Essex fan, but i think if they drop him that will be his lot...think they should stick with him, yes he plays across the line a lot, but he has scored stacks of runs for years, clearly he has the talent, but they need to stick with someone....no point chopping and changing every 5 tests...give the guy a long run, and see what happens...IMO he should go to oz
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:20 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Malan should be commended for coming up with a few scores, but I am always skeptical of a player who's only approach at the moment is to survive. And hes been lucky to survive at times. 2 x scratchy 50s in the long run dont show much to me. Theres a difference between riding out tough sessions against good bowling in tough conditions, and simply not having the belief in your ability to set the tone. Malan needs to go out and show some aggression and control a bit more before Im convinced in him.

Bit of a tale of two extremes. One batsman not comfortable enough to step up and play his natural game, the other responding too aggressively because he also probably doesnt have the belief in his ability to occupy the crease for long periods.

Think you're being harsh on Malan, who came into bat at Headingley with England trailing by 75 runs at 3 wickets down and went back to the pavilion with England 143 runs ahead at 6 wickets down.

Malan played a fine knock in context of the game was perfect foil for Root and the middle-lower order batsmen who can force the tone and add runs. This is at a time where England batsmen are accused of being too gung-ho at the crease.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby westoelad » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:35 pm

Fact is any team has to put up with what they've got unless there are better alternatives. We 've tried up to a dozen partners for Cook and not found a clear solution. Stoneman certainly looked the part in the 2nd innings last week and his form this season, and indeed for the past 4 seasons, suggests there isn't a better alternative. There's the added advantage that he's used to Australian conditions through having played out there for the past 4 winters at high standard Grade A.There's no time now to test others at number 3 so the coaches and the players incumbent have to work to overcome the identified weaknesses.
westoelad

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:53 am

Bayliss has essentially said that unless you've played for England in the last year and a half you're not going to be considered to tour to Australia.

I'd assume that Westley, Malan and Stoneman will all keep their places, and, the rest of the side is pretty much locked in aside from whether it's Woakes or TRJ as the third seamer.

You need a back up opener, batsman and keeper. Opener, if we take Bayliss at face value, is either Hameed, Jennings, Duckett or Hales. Between Jennings and Hameed it would likely be a toss up on how they end the season, though Duckett has made a big score recently.

For the back up batsman, has to be Hales in my view, though I really wouldn't be shocked to see Ballance somehow get yet another chance.

Keepers you'd think it will be Buttler, though Duckett could get in that way I guess.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:55 am

I note that Hales has been coming in at 5 for Notts, which I've interpreted as him pushing for Malan's slot in the side
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:02 pm

I think he only moved to open to push for a place in the Test side as an opener, he said recently that he asked to move back down the order to where he feels most comfortable. He could come in at 4 or 5 depending on if it's Westley or Malan that needs replacing as long as Root is willing to move up one. I just put Hales in the opener pool as that's where he last played for England.

I'm not a particular fan of Buttler getting a spot on the tour, not because of his ability or anything, just the message it sends out to the other young keepers in the game.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:08 pm

I have a feeling that Hales was opening when I went to watch Durham play at TB in 2011, so he must have been opening for a while. You do whatever it takes to get in the squad, I guess. He knows the england set up, and I'd be prepared to bet that he'll have been advised to drop down
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby alfie » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:24 pm

This last match has confirmed my belief that Stoneman is definitely better than Jennings and will be on the plane : question of the third opener will I think depend on CC form but I'd fancy Hameed is the preferred candidate. I'd sooner revert to someone like Robson than subject Jennings to the Australian pace attack ...

Not sure Westley has done enough to hold down number three but neither has anyone else : if he makes runs for his county now I suspect he will be picked - though making the XI is perhaps another matter. Happy enough with Malan at five but the reserve middle order bat is still unclear : Hales is a fair chance ; Ballance not ruled out - though I wouldn't consider him myself - and I suppose the likes of Livingstone and a couple of other uncapped players are not out of the picture.

Not sure why people are assuming Buttler will be reserve keeper ? Hasn't exactly starred with the bat this summer and I'd have thought it made more sense to take a possible future keeper like Foakes - who has , I think , been making more runs for Surrey. I'd be keeping Jos for the white ball game to which he is so well suited.

Bowling is just about picking itself except that Wood needs some matches to confirm his place along with Anderson Broad TRJ and Woakes. If he doesn't come up then Plunkett of perhaps one of the new lads (Helm , Curran ?) might get a call up ...though I'd think they might be more likely to travel with the Lions.

Doesn't matter who they take as a second spinner as they're just going for experience.

I see much pessimism on here re their prospects : I'd expect nothing less :)

It's true there is a lot of "if" about the squad : but this Australian team is nothing special so I wouldn't be writing them off in advance. If it goes wrong , it may well get ugly. But if one or two of the new players stand up - especially early in the tour - they may well surprise the doubters.
alfie

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:29 pm

alfie wrote:I see much pessimism on here re their prospects : I'd expect nothing less :)

Not noticed that. I'm going 3-1 to the Aussies which aint bad, not the traditional whitewash.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:31 pm

Bayliss is saying they will take players with experience. Not sure of that, given Crane seems more likely to go than Rashid (or Batty). Unless Dawson goes instead of both.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby ianp1970 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:48 pm

Hales is a no personally - wouldn't have selected him or Morgan after last Autumn - based on nothing more than you can't pick and choose when you want to play.
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:57 pm

Except they were told they could.

Anyone can opt out of a tour for a variety of reason (this isn't conscription). It gives someone else an opportunity so there is a career risk, but I can't see any reason why it should rule someone out from consideration in the future. Morgan and Hales felt a mortal threat. No civilian should be coerced to travel under those circumstances (in my view).
Arthur Crabtree

Postby andy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:10 pm

You can't not pick someone because they didn't travel due to security reasons, yes there wasn't any problems and the security team did a good job, but you can't penalise Hales for this...its extreme circumstances..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket