There may be troubles ahead: England selection issues.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: There may be troubles ahead: England selection issues.

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:53 am

I don't know, while I think they're all technically good enough to bat in the top order, all three need to show some improved consistency and restraint before I'd move them up. Stokes, Bairstow and Ali all come out and bat like lunatics too often for me to have much faith in their ability to solve the stability issues we have. If it were to be any of them, I'd move Ali up and leave the other two where they are.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby ianp1970 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:58 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Bairstow, Stokes and Moeen have consolidated their positions as Test bats and arguably made a case for moving up a spot each.

Not much point unless we're going to play six bowlers again though.

Possibly on a Bunsen at Sydney, even then I'd probably leave a seamer out and still play Stokes at 6.
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby alfie » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:54 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:I don't know, while I think they're all technically good enough to bat in the top order, all three need to show some improved consistency and restraint before I'd move them up. Stokes, Bairstow and Ali all come out and bat like lunatics too often for me to have much faith in their ability to solve the stability issues we have.[/b] If it were to be any of them, I'd move Ali up and leave the other two where they are[/b].

Agree with this - though I rather fear Moeen would struggle at five in Australia ; another reason why I am dead against such tampering with the order.
In any case I hold to the view that if you think you need six bowlers you've basically accepted you are unable to bowl the other side out. And the sixth bowler just means none of them get too tired as the opposition runs up 600...
alfie

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:07 pm

alfie wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:I don't know, while I think they're all technically good enough to bat in the top order, all three need to show some improved consistency and restraint before I'd move them up. Stokes, Bairstow and Ali all come out and bat like lunatics too often for me to have much faith in their ability to solve the stability issues we have.[/b] If it were to be any of them, I'd move Ali up and leave the other two where they are[/b].

Agree with this - though I rather fear Moeen would struggle at five in Australia ; another reason why I am dead against such tampering with the order.
In any case I hold to the view that if you think you need six bowlers you've basically accepted you are unable to bowl the other side out. And the sixth bowler just means none of them get too tired as the opposition runs up 600...

I think six bowlers is excessive, however when two of them are contributing as well as any batsman we've tried to bring into the side, then it's not really playing six bowlers.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:14 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
alfie wrote:

I think six bowlers is excessive, however when two of them are contributing as well as any batsman we've tried to bring into the side, then it's not really playing six bowlers.

and gives England the opportunity to play Woody (assuming he can regularly jack the pace up above 90mph) and bowl him in 4 over bursts of wanton aggression in true Mitch 1 style, without having to rely on Moeen bowling excessively and economically throughout the innings.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:31 pm

Well Triple L has just made a potentially very timely double ton against Warwickshire batting at three.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:30 pm

Might go on tour. I expect England will pick the same squad for the next game.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Slipstream » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:05 pm

There was talk that Crane would play in one game before the Ashes. Will that be at Lords? Who would he replace?
Slipstream

Postby sussexpob » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:08 pm

Slipstream wrote:There was talk that Crane would play in one game before the Ashes. Will that be at Lords? Who would he replace?

Probably on the belief Windies would be routed by now
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Making_Splinters » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:20 pm

I think we have to give another batsman a chance as Westley doesn't look to have learned how sides are targeting his technique. Malan may not look convincing but he has at least made adjustments.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby sussexpob » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:42 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:I think we have to give another batsman a chance as Westley doesn't look to have learned how sides are targeting his technique. Malan may not look convincing but he has at least made adjustments.

Malan has been out bowled or lbw in 4 of his 6 dismissals, this suggests a major problem with his technique for me. Hes also batted with the flair of geoff boycott. I am far from convinced.

There is something there in Westley out of the three. He looks the best of the newest batsman in the side, even though it hasnt manifested itself yet. Id stick with him at the moment.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby andy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:50 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:I think we have to give another batsman a chance as Westley doesn't look to have learned how sides are targeting his technique. Malan may not look convincing but he has at least made adjustments.

Malan has been out bowled or lbw in 4 of his 6 dismissals, this suggests a major problem with his technique for me. Hes also batted with the flair of geoff boycott. I am far from convinced.

There is something there in Westley out of the three. He looks the best of the newest batsman in the side, even though it hasnt manifested itself yet. Id stick with him at the moment.

agree. Not too many knocking down the door either, can't keep chopping and changing after 2-3 tests, dosent do any good to anyone
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Making_Splinters » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:36 pm

sussexpob wrote:

Westley currently reminds me of Vince, looks good when he plays his shots but that's about it. Malan has worked on his stance to allow him to better prevent being yorked and actually showed some application. Westley's dismissal in the last test where he wildly swung at a ball that he should have left alone reminds me of how Lyth ended up, completely in the wrong mindset.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby alfie » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:41 am

sussexpob wrote:

Interesting. For once I find myself (at least partially) agreeing with Sussex here :shock:

I am very glad to see Westley getting another chance at Lord's as there is something I also like about him.

BUT : if you think Malan has technical issues (I'm not so sure he has a particular weakness other than perhaps being only marginally good enough - though he has done enough to stay for now) surely you must recognize Westley has a huge problem with his over reliance on playing to leg and bat therefore not coming through straight - his efforts to counteract this so far have seen him caught behind instead of lbw but he still needs a lot of work if he's to succeed at this level. I hope he does well at Lord's and gets time to work with the batting coach before Australia but I think he is on a knife edge at the moment.
alfie

Postby Slipstream » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:15 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Slipstream wrote:There was talk that Crane would play in one game before the Ashes. Will that be at Lords? Who would he replace?

Probably on the belief Windies would be routed by now

True but Bayliss is saying England have to see the pitch at Lords before deciding. We can look at the pitch for days but really don't have a clue what it is going to do, what happens at the toss and what the weather is going to be like. All three things happen after they have decided on the team. Just play your best XI. I think that would include Roland-Jones at his home ground. He does offer something different to the other seamers and the West Indies haven't seen him yet. I would be surprised if he is selected though.
Slipstream

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket