shane shillingford

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

shane shillingford

Postby backfootpunch » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:28 am

the ICC have suspended shane shillingford for an illegal action and marlon samuels is not allowed to bowl quicker deliveries

ajmal is still fine to "bowl" though :facepalm
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Re: shane shillingford

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:35 pm

It's a bit odd.

Is there any reason to think that players get tested more after big tours, like England, Australia and especially India, where the noise from the press is everpresent, and the wheels of the media never slow down?

I had a theory that Murali was allowed to bowl because he was from an emerging cricket nation, and success for them would help broaden the appeal of international cricket. Similarly Ajmal keeps Pakistan buoyant in troubled times. But then, the WI really don't need to lose any of their players either.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:04 am

The concern was always there with Shillingford, and to be fair one has to credit whoever cited the action if it is dodgy. More of this should be done, if anything to be a final answer to questions about actions
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby D/L » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:31 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:...I had a theory that Murali was allowed to bowl because he was from an emerging cricket nation, and success for them would help broaden the appeal of international cricket...

Or, put another way, the threat of a schism in world cricket and lots of people at the ICC losing their phoney-baloney jobs.

I can't comment on Shillingford. I don't think I've ever seen him bowl (or whatever it is he does).
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby shankycricket » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:47 pm

Leave Shilly aside for a second, how on earth is Marlon Samuels still allowed to bowl? Surely you are either allowed to bowl or not? Surely you can't be telling a bowler what kind of deliveries he can and what he can't? And how exactly do you define a "faster one"? Are the umpires supposed to check the speed gun every delivery? :?
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:51 pm

It happened in the past with Botha's doosra. It is a bit strange though.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:58 pm

shankycricket wrote:Leave Shilly aside for a second, how on earth is Marlon Samuels still allowed to bowl? Surely you are either allowed to bowl or not? Surely you can't be telling a bowler what kind of deliveries he can and what he can't? And how exactly do you define a "faster one"? Are the umpires supposed to check the speed gun every delivery? :?

Simply put, the investigation finds that his quicker ball is a chuck but his stock ball isnt. So the ICC panel basically tell him that, should he bowl that illegal delivery and the panel report on it, he is banned instantly for a year without further comment.... and even players who go through the remedial process generally never play international cricket again, to have the full ban is basically a career death sentence at the top level.

So the umpire does not have to do a thing. He will just be asked to report if Samuels bowls a quicker ball, and if it is the type he chucks on investigation, he does not pass go and collect his £200 pounds.

I have no problem with that. if he didnt know the difference between 14/15 degrees then I cant see without testing why he should be banned or blamed
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby andy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:36 pm

shilly does chuck the ball and its right that he's called, however Samuels sholdnt be able to bowl full stop, if a delivery is illegal..also Ajmal chucks it more than anyone!
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Albondiga » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:01 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:shilly does chuck the ball and its right that he's called, however Samuels sholdnt be able to bowl full stop, if a delivery is illegal..also Ajmal chucks it more than anyone!

It's a batsmen's game --- never a truer saying. Why should batsmen worry about a man who "throws" at 55 mph.?????
Albondiga

Postby backfootpunch » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Albondiga wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:shilly does chuck the ball and its right that he's called, however Samuels sholdnt be able to bowl full stop, if a delivery is illegal..also Ajmal chucks it more than anyone!

It's a batsmen's game --- never a truer saying. Why should batsmen worry about a man who "throws" at 55 mph.?????

the same reason a batsmen cant use a bat that is two inches wider, its against the rules
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Postby mikesiva » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:57 pm

backfootpunch wrote:the ICC have suspended shane shillingford for an illegal action and marlon samuels is not allowed to bowl quicker deliveries

This comparison is what's stirring discontent in WI management circles....
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby backfootpunch » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:02 pm

mikesiva wrote:
backfootpunch wrote:the ICC have suspended shane shillingford for an illegal action and marlon samuels is not allowed to bowl quicker deliveries

This comparison is what's stirring discontent in WI management circles....

anybody who has watched them bowl would suggest that ajmal's action is by far the most suspect of the two, i cant see him being less than 25 degrees let alone 15

backfootpunch

Postby greyblazer » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:11 pm

When you see people saying Samuels or Shilly throws but Ajmal doesn't you can only laugh.
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby Albondiga » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:43 pm

backfootpunch wrote:
Albondiga wrote:

the same reason a batsmen cant use a bat that is two inches wider, its against the rules

Players are always breaking the laws of the game ------- 'batsmen not being ready when the bowler wants to bowl ---- ball tampering in forms ----- using a runner when you're not injured --------- leaving the field for a change of shirt or a shower ------- not taking the field after a long innings etc etc Batsmen and officials are being petty about Shillingford when they have ignored bowling actions like Tait who ""bowled"" at 90 mph plus.
Albondiga

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:08 pm

Not throwing is pretty integral to the laws of cricket though.

It looks like Ajmal bends his arm to about 40degrees. The fact he can't straighten his arm is irrelevant, as everyone lets go of the ball with a still bent arm, when they throw. The ICC subtract the 'normal' bend of Ajmal's arm from his beginning angle when working out his flex.
Arthur Crabtree

Next

Return to International Cricket