Graeme Swann retires

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Graeme Swann retires

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:25 pm

I think that sums it up KJ.

Now his grandma has got involved, I bet Swann wishes he had kept his mouth shut.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby backfootpunch » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:46 pm

It occurred to me that swanny cud well have been referring to clarke, johnson et al who having won a few games are strutting around like prize animals with there heads firmly up there behind. It wud surprise me if he was having a pop at his former teammmembers
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby Hampshire » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:56 am

I can just imagine the conversations between Swann and his Grandma :D.
Hampshire

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire
England

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:03 am

backfootpunch wrote:It occurred to me that swanny cud well have been referring to clarke, johnson et al who having won a few games are strutting around like prize animals with there heads firmly up there behind. It wud surprise me if he was having a pop at his former teammmembers

Can you point out what Clarke and/or Johnson have got up to since winning the Ashes that has been so untoward? I have seen Johnson in a couple of interviews and he has been too modest and self-effacing. Everytime some fawning interviewer lavished him with praise, he immediately deflected it onto his team-mates.

I've seen or heard no sign of sprinkler dances, or pitch urinations.

How embarrassing for Swann.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby shankycricket » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:25 am

England's_No7 wrote:Very surprised it's all cricket he's retiring from, didn't think he'd last much longer for Tests but a bit surprised he announced it mid-series. I suppose it makes sense though - no point in Swann playing 2 dead rubbers. Might as well give Monty/another spinner a go as they'll be the lead spinner next year.

Not all cricket. International and FC. Which means he'll (finally) be available for the entire IPL....l :halo: :hide
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby shankycricket » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:33 am

Jokes apart, very good bowler and a massive loss for English cricket. Wish him well on retirement.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby yuppie » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:49 am

GarlicJam wrote:
backfootpunch wrote:It occurred to me that swanny cud well have been referring to clarke, johnson et al who having won a few games are strutting around like prize animals with there heads firmly up there behind. It wud surprise me if he was having a pop at his former teammmembers

Can you point out what Clarke and/or Johnson have got up to since winning the Ashes that has been so untoward? I have seen Johnson in a couple of interviews and he has been too modest and self-effacing. Everytime some fawning interviewer lavished him with praise, he immediately deflected it onto his team-mates.

I've seen or heard no sign of sprinkler dances, or pitch urinations.

How embarrassing for Swann.

Well said that man.

Besides all the side show of Swanns retirement, i really now think England will struggle. His record since 2008 has arguably been the main reason for Englands success. They have always struggled to find a spinner of consistent quality in the 20+ year before Swann came along. Indeed Swann not having the normal influence he has had in recent ashes series might be the actual reason why England are so poor in this series.

International cricket will miss Swann, not only a cricketer with great talent but a player who was a great character. Not to everyone's taste, but the game needs characters.

Now retirement to the IPL if he can get a contract and I think we will soon see him in the commentary box. His experience will be missed in the last 2 matches of this series. Not sure now is the time to blood any more new players.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby hopeforthebest » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:14 am

I don't think he has the IPL in his sights. more a career in the media.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby D/L » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:16 am

It would seem obvious that the remark was directed at the people he spent most time with, not opponents with whom only limited conversations are possible on the field. Swann may reach for that excuse though, if he has to.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby sussexpob » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:24 am

D/L wrote:

It would seem obvious that the remark was directed at the people he spent most time with, not opponents with whom only limited conversations are possible on the field. Swann may reach for that excuse though, if he has to.

To be fair to KP though, Swann is hardly the most modest person in the world, and knifed his own teammates in the back to sell books before.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby hopeforthebest » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:31 am

It was an uncalled for vulgar turn of phrase, more suited to come from the mouth of an oik from Eastenders than an International cricketer.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

hopeforthebest

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:07 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:I think that sums it up KJ.

Now his grandma has got involved, I bet Swann wishes he had kept his mouth shut.

Maybe his Grandma is going to put out a book.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:07 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:It was an uncalled for vulgar turn of phrase, more suited to come from the mouth of an oik from Eastenders than an International cricketer.

I agree with that (not so much the implied snobbery against people from the east end working class). It was a personal message to his brother, but still a bit thoughtless that it could be read by others. Even so, it can be put into perspective; it sits incredibly low on the ranks of things people need to get upset about.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby hopeforthebest » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:16 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:It was an uncalled for vulgar turn of phrase, more suited to come from the mouth of an oik from Eastenders than an International cricketer.

I agree with that (not so much the implied snobbery against people from the east end working class). It was a personal message to his brother, but still a bit thoughtless that it could be read by others. Even so, it can be put into perspective; it sits incredibly low on the ranks of things people need to get upset about.

I take exception to that remark AC. I was of course referring to the BBC program which is full of pretty dreadful characters.

hopeforthebest

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:18 pm

I don't watch that, but I do think it portrays working class Londoners. Sorry if I have misunderstood though.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket