Graeme Swann retires

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Graeme Swann retires

Postby sussexpob » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:57 am

The first thing to say is obviously that the guy was a brilliant bowler for England since he came into the team, and his shoes may take some years to fill. He was dependable on most surfaces to do England a job of taking wickets and creating pressure, and was by far the best spinner in my lifetime England produced.

The second thought is to echo the concerns above; that a guy would make such a certain decision in the middle of a series!!

Is this yet another early casualty of overkill? The poor guy has looked absolutely jaded this tour!
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:15 am

Surprised about the timing in the middle of a series but it was a matter of time before Swann was going to call it a day. One thinks the signs were there as early as 2011 when Swann feels ODI cricket should be scrapped, sympathised with KP over his retirement because of the amount of international cricket played, then said himself he doesn't see his young family much because of the amount of time spent with England.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby meninblue » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:54 am

Poor man management.

Did lead role by bowling 30,35,40,45 overs in big bowling innings which took huge pressure and work of 3 pacers.Got injured ,the reason could partly be this excess workload.Performance dropped in two series and still they did not care to add a bowling resource.Imo this is due to excess workload or he retired because he was dropped for boxing day test.He shouldnt have been dropped or he should have been given less workload by playing five bowlers.Best England spinner i saw although he got drift only in his later stage of career and lacked a good doosra.Still a match winner.With Monty they looked more threatening vetsus Pak,SriLanka and India who are best players of spin.I doubt Jimmy,Broad will play long enough if they keep pkaying 4 bowlers attack.Drop of performance due to workload or injury coul result in another retirement.

Plares of such calibre do not retire like this.There is surely more about this retirement.He definitelly got frustrated by stupidity of management.

I am glad we will see him in forthcoming IPL although many fixers have played in it and it has been a tourbamebt results of which were decided by bookues ala Sreesanth and others.Financially he will earn more now as franchisees must have noted the retirement.Either in 2014 or 2015 IPL.BIG BASH.Carribean T20.I thibk he will play some of those after recovering fully.

Monty has shown he can play a major role in winning test series versus India in India.Also bowld superbly in UAE and Lanka.Monty being Englands second best succesful bowler with ability to take fiv e fers was obvious choice by selectors.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby alfie » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:11 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Not sure he has been declining. Look at his record for last summer, against NZ and Australia. He seemed to recover from his operation well, though I would expect to hear his elbow is bothering him again, as his revs seemed to drop over the home summer. I can't imagine his recent comments have had an impact; and if they have, it would be because he was ready to go anyway.

I suspect it's his injury, though exacerbated by the drag of touring, which means he can't face finishing the tour.

Pretty much agree , as I said on the other thread. A surprise , nonetheless . And I am very sorry to see him go ; he has been a very fine , late blooming , cricketer - and will not be easily replaced.
alfie

Postby DeltaAlpha » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:37 am

Well, that came out of the blue to me, but I'm not sure we should start looking for conspiracy theories, just thank him for what he's done for English cricket and wish him all the best for the future.

Thanks, Graeme.
2011-12 CMS winter chess champion
2011 CMS spring chess champion
DeltaAlpha

Team(s) Supported: England

Postby Gingerfinch » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:46 am

Whatever the reasons, he has massive boots to fill. A very good spinner, the best English one I have seen, and I would think, a great team man.

A career in the media now?
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby braveneutral » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:44 am

Enjoy your retirement! I don't think it is as shocking as it first appears to be. I hope he enjoys what must be his first normal Christmas in a while (if he gets back home).
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:33 am

Dr Robert wrote:Whatever the reasons, he has massive boots to fill. A very good spinner, the best English one I have seen, and I would think, a great team man.

I'd agree with all of that. He also seemed like a nice bloke, personable and quite funny. Didn't wear his collars well though.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby dan08 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:54 am

He hasn't ruled out playing in the IPL. He's only retiring from international cricket and first class so i guess the door is still open.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby hopeforthebest » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:15 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Not sure he has been declining. Look at his record for last summer, against NZ and Australia. He seemed to recover from his operation well, though I would expect to hear his elbow is bothering him again, as his revs seemed to drop over the home summer. I can't imagine his recent comments have had an impact; and if they have, it would be because he was ready to go anyway.

I suspect it's his injury, though exacerbated by the drag of touring, which means he can't face finishing the tour.

I think that says it all AC. He was probably one of the 2 to 3 most important players during Flowers reign and his loss coming on top of Trott's departure is going to be hard to recover from.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Kim » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:38 am

Yep. Ive decided to take his press conference at face value as that's a reasonable thing to do!. And if he isn't physically right there really isnt any point in playing the last two Tests.

Twitter outrage at his selfishness from people who wanted him dropped anyway is amusing.

Great bowler who leaves a huge void there seems no prospect of filling any time soon.-
The Kookaburra Man
Kim

Postby Aidan11 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:41 am

Shame about Swanny.

Despite his laddish antics he was a very good bowler. The timing is unfortunate but he obviously hasn't taken this decision lightly.

Bad news for England is there is no-one good enough to replace him yet. Monty was not as good as him and bowlers like Kerrigan, Briggs & Borthwick aren't yet ready IMO.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby KipperJohn » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:46 am

DeltaAlpha wrote:Well, that came out of the blue to me, but I'm not sure we should start looking for conspiracy theories, just thank him for what he's done for English cricket and wish him all the best for the future.

Thanks, Graeme.

Couldn't agree more. Well played Graeme Swann :clap
KipperJohn

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:00 pm

Have there been any conspiracy theories?

Swann has suggested tiredness and injury played their part, and particularly he was bowling too many overs. He felt he was not contributing in the second innings for these reasons. It's hard not to include the trials of touring in how sudden the desire to stop now rather than see the series out.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby D/L » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:17 pm

England's_No7 wrote:Thought he might stay for the T20/ODI World Cups but obviously he's had enough.

Also, what a turnaround it's been for Monty. A few months ago, it was unlikely that he'd play for England again, now he's the number 1 spinner.

That's a rather worrying thought. We may now have to regularly take the field with a mediocre spinner and just 10 batsmen and fielders. We need to find a decent replacement for Swann with some urgency now to shorten, as much as possible, Panesar’s tenure as #1.

Swann’s decision did indeed come as a surprise but, on reflection, it seems to be entirely in keeping with the general unravelling of the current set-up.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket