Kallis retires

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Kallis retires

Postby mikesiva » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:56 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:
mikesiva wrote:
m@tt wrote:
SaintPowelly wrote:Greatest all-rounder ever in my eyes ( sorry Sobers )

Definitely seems the right time to go now though, enjoy your retirement Jacques.

The Dravid of all-rounders? Goes about his brilliance quietly, is possibly a tad under appreciated, and doesn't stand out as much as flashier players (Sobers being flashy, as well as brilliant).

I don't quite agree that Kallis was a greater allrounder than Sobers, though....

I was always taught that you subtract your bowling average from your batting average to get the statistical assessment of how great an allrounder is, and on that basis Sobers just edges Kallis.

Kallis, batting 55.12, bowling 32.53 = 22.59

Sobers, batting 57.78, bowling 34.03 = 23.75

But no other allrounder in the history of Test cricket comes close on that statistical assessment....

Sobers 93 tests..Kallis 166

Is Tendulkar greater than Bradman?

Playing lots of Tests don't make you greater than one who played less...they played less Test cricket back in the 1960s.

I always value averages over aggregates.

After his final Test, Kallis has improved his Test average, batting 55.37, bowling 32.65 = 22.72.

He still had more to contribute, clearly, but felt that he wanted to retire before he reached the stage where folks questioned his place in the side.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby Gingerfinch » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:14 pm

http://www.espncricinfo.com/blogs/conte ... 06081.html

Interesting article. One that I don't agree with though. All depends on your definition of the word 'allrounder'.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby SaintPowelly » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:23 am

mikesiva wrote:Is Tendulkar greater than Bradman?

Playing lots of Tests don't make you greater than one who played less...they played less Test cricket back in the 1960s.

After his final Test, Kallis has improved his Test average, batting 55.37, bowling 32.65 = 22.72.

He still had more to contribute, clearly, but felt that he wanted to retire before he reached the stage where folks questioned his place in the side.

When you are judging whos better on such a small margin..then I think Kallis playing 77 tests more than Sobers is a very relevant fact.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby sussexpob » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:35 am

SaintPowelly wrote:
mikesiva wrote:Is Tendulkar greater than Bradman?

When you are judging whos better on such a small margin..then I think Kallis playing 77 tests more than Sobers is a very relevant fact.

Indeed. Playing an average of just over 4 tests a year is nothing compared to the sheer amount of cricket they play now. I wonder how many old legends could have maintained such fantastic figures in three major types of cricket, playing over 50 games of international calibre a year, and T20 in India inbetween.

I think its entirely relevant. As i said before, Kallis' bowling particularly got worse as the strain of too much cricket took hold. If he was playing so little cricket he could have been an excellent bowler for a longer time.

But hey, old fans attribute a more inconsistent standard to older players.... one cannot claim a test player nowadays is great if he retires after 20 tests, but Headley and Pollock played about 20 and are argued by some to be the best players ever.... Mike Hussey averaged nearly 85 after 20 tests, an average that dropped by 34 runs over time!
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby meninblue » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:48 am

sussexpob wrote:
I wonder how many old legends could have maintained such fantastic figures in three major types of cricket, playing over 50 games of international calibre a year, and T20 in India inbetween.

:thumb
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Gingerfinch » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:51 am

clubcricketeradi wrote:
sussexpob wrote:
I wonder how many old legends could have maintained such fantastic figures in three major types of cricket, playing over 50 games of international calibre a year, and T20 in India inbetween.

I wonder how many new pampered players could have got on a boat for weeks to play Cricket rather than get on a comfy plane?

Plenty of pro's and cons for playing now and years ago.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby meninblue » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:04 am

Dr Robert wrote:
clubcricketeradi wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

I wonder how many new pampered players could have got on a boat for weeks to play Cricket rather than get on a comfy plane?

Plenty of pro's and cons for playing now and years ago.

Agreed that +ves and -ves will always be there in everything.

However, as far as fitness is concerned imo the more cricket a cricketer play, the better fitness is required.It is not Sobers mistake that he did not play as much as Kallis.However, Kallis edges it on longevity imo.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Making_Splinters » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:56 pm

Personally, I reckon they'll bring de Kock into the test side following his great ODI series against India: He's clearly a huge talent and would allow AB to hang up the gloves and focus on his batting.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Previous

Return to International Cricket