Ben Stokes

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Ben Stokes

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:09 pm

I've never really understood the ECBs handling of this matter. Yes, it initially made sense that he would be removed from the selection pool while there was a criminal investigation hanging over him, but then they let him go and play in New Zealand and be in the IPL auction. He's an ECB employee, it doesn't matter who he's playing for it's essentially the same as him playing for England.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby meninblue » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:00 pm

So i guess he will play in IPL. Rajasthan Royals will be pleased to know he is available.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:09 am

Has made a decent comeback considering he missed lot of matches since the brawl.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby bigfluffylemon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:03 pm

Trial date is set for August 6th, slab dab middle of the India test series. You do have to wonder if they did that on purpose.

Is five months from plea hearing to trial date normal? Is it just because of the case load of the court, or the time needed for parties to prepare (surely not, after six months from the incident), or another reason?

It's not actually on a test match day, but it's one day after the first test concludes. And it could easily go on long enough to eat into the second test. Even if it doesn't, you'd have to assume Ben will miss the second test, as he'll miss all the preparation. And would you pick him for the first test (his mind may well not be on the job in hand)?

I'm not saying the court has a duty to work around his schedule, far from it. If you're appearing on a criminal charge, your personal inconvenience is the last thing the court should care about. But the timing, if coincidental, seems to be rather unfortunate.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby mikesiva » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:27 pm

Mr Stokes and his teammate Alex Hales left the nightclub at 00:46 but both returned at 02:08.

Bouncer Andrew Cunningham explained to the pair the club was closed and they would not be allowed in.

However, an "obviously upset" Mr Stokes became "aggressive" and insulted Mr Cunningham about his appearance, jurors heard.

Mr Cunningham said Mr Stokes's attention then turned to two "openly gay" men - Kai Barry and William O'Connor - outside the venue.

He claimed the cricketer had mimicked their voices and mannerisms in what he described as "a derogatory way".

Mr Corsellis said CCTV footage showed Mr Stokes "copying hand gestures made by the men", while the bouncer claimed he had flicked a cigarette butt at Mr O'Connor.

Mr Cunningham reportedly said to Mr Stokes: "If you want to start on anyone, start on me."

"Mr Stokes's behaviour outside the nightclub sets an important tone for what happened that night," Mr Corsellis said.

"He was clearly frustrated and annoyed. He took to acting in a provocative and offensive way towards Mr Cunningham and then Mr Barry and Mr O'Connor."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45082248
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby The Professor » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:45 pm

None of this looks very good AT ALL.

Depending on where you sit on this; Saturday may well be the last time we see him in an England shirt.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:21 pm

The Professor wrote:None of this looks very good AT ALL.

Depending on where you sit on this; Saturday may well be the last time we see him in an England shirt.

Looks like he acted like a complete d.ck but I'd be surprised to see him not play again. I suspect he may get a ban, though unsure.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby alfie » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:36 pm

Might be best to let the trial proceed and wait until we her what the other witnesses have to say...
alfie

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:43 pm

alfie wrote:Might be best to let the trial proceed and wait until we her what the other witnesses have to say...

I have him hung already :P
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:01 pm

unsurprising that the case for the prosecution paints him in a very bad light

2 sides, of course. Doubtless the defence will paint a very different picture
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby KipperJohn » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:40 pm

alfie wrote:Might be best to let the trial proceed and wait until we her what the other witnesses have to say...

:thumb
Can’t wait to hear the sound of sandpaper rubbing over the cracks....
KipperJohn

Postby sussexpob » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:06 pm

Even I think it's part of a trial, there's two halves. Let's see how he defends himself on the above accusation or if more evidence is presented to support it.

If it's true, he shouldn't play for England for a.while. what's described is not acceptable
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:11 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:unsurprising that the case for the prosecution paints him in a very bad light

2 sides, of course. Doubtless the defence will paint a very different picture

Spot on DFM, but the prosecution does seem to be focusing on Stokes as opposed to the other two, who are up the same charge

Bear in mind the supposed mocking of the gay men was in the statement from one of the bouncers who Stokes seemed to have major issues with, and refused to shake hands with him.

No doubt the defence will paint a totally different picture, but I guess the truth will come out when the gay men take the stand. Not sure whether they are witnesses for or against the prosecution. I seem to remember when they presented themselves to the police they seemed to put Stokes in a good light.

It seems likely at this point that he will be found guilty, the CCTV doesn't lie, and the most likely sentence is a suspended one. Although I did read somewhere that the suspended sentence for affray had been removed from a judge's powers and it was either prison or a massive fine, I can't see that's true?

Interesting following the case online, poor guy has to rely on members of the public to come to a decision on his guilt, I like the way they were all questioned before they were sworn in if they were big England cricket fans? What would people on this forum have retorted?!
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby captaincolly » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:46 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Interesting following the case online, poor guy has to rely on members of the public to come to a decision on his guilt, I like the way they were all questioned before they were sworn in if they were big England cricket fans? What would people on this forum have retorted?!

Apparently they were all asked if they were cricket fans and all answered no ( one sarcastic post on Twitter suggested if anyone answered yes they'd be sent to Lord's to open the batting with Cook.)

When he was first charged The Times article suggested to me ( and I know nothing about legal matters so may well be entirely wrong ) that a custodial sentence is highly unlikely:

Affray is a public order offence, under the Public Order Act 1986, in which two or more people use or threaten unlawful violence against another. It carries a maximum penalty when tried at magistrates court of a fine or up to six months in prison. If tried at crown court, the judge would have the option of sentencing him to three years in prison.

Sentencing guidelines state that a custodial sentence “must not be imposed” unless the offence or a combination of offences are so serious that neither a fine nor a community sentence can be justified. The guidelines stress that there is no general definition of this threshold and that even where it is believed to have been met, judges should consider a community order

My interpretation of that is a custodial sentence is not an option in the vast majority of cases and probably won't be imposed even when it is an option.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby KipperJohn » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:01 pm

Interesting that affray is a public order offence - as opposed to, say, gbh or assault. I’m no expert but surely the prosecution has to prove that members of the public were in fear, at risk etc. from the affray. None of the defendants sought charges to be bought against each other, which suggests to me some agreement between their lawyers as to how to defend the case or get as light a sentence as possible.
KipperJohn

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket