Ben Stokes

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Ben Stokes

Postby D/L » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:30 am

Dr Robert wrote:Nothing wrong with being peeved off at getting out. A bat at the wall though is the safer option.

Of course, there isn't, but what Stokes did would suggest a little more than peevishness; a complete loss of self control, in fact, and, shall we say, a little lack of foresight. These are not two of the best attributes to have in just about any profession.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby Gingerfinch » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:32 am

Yes, but he is young, and a red head, and us red heads, can be a little hot headed :-)
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:41 am

As last winter's antics showed, Stokes needs a lot of management to keep him on the straight and narrow. Part of me thinks it's good to see a player clearly give a damn about his personal performance after the drivel we've seen from England for quite some time.

I'd rather see Stokes breaking his wrist in frustration than Prior coming out and slating an ex player as a responce to failure.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby D/L » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:50 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:As last winter's antics showed, Stokes needs a lot of management to keep him on the straight and narrow. Part of me thinks it's good to see a player clearly give a damn about his personal performance after the drivel we've seen from England for quite some time.

I'd rather see Stokes breaking his wrist in frustration than Prior coming out and slating an ex player as a responce to failure.

Stokes' was a response to individual failure and, if Prior's actions were motivated by failure rather than contributing to the sum of public knowledge about Pietersen as a counterbalance, perhaps to what we heard from the likes of Piers Morgan, it would be a response to team rather than individual failure (at least in his own eyes).
D/L

Postby Albondiga » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:20 pm

No excuses for that kind of behaviour although I understand his disappointment. What may be a contributory factor is the appalling mismanagement by Giles who clearly hasn't told him his role in the side. His bowling has fallen between trying to get wickets and being miserly. As for his batting he has occupied far too many batting positions to have any consistency. He's had two coaches. three captains a retirement in mid series and yet another Petersen affair. His fielding has remained good probably because of the influence of Collingwood. Remember he is only 22 and clearly not a laid back individual.
Albondiga

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:23 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:As last winter's antics showed, Stokes needs a lot of management to keep him on the straight and narrow. Part of me thinks it's good to see a player clearly give a damn about his personal performance after the drivel we've seen from England for quite some time.

I'm not sure how Stokes can be castigated for what he did. Can you tell someone not to feel frustration? He was a little unlucky.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:26 pm

Stokes (as did Joe Root) regarded KP as a bit of a mentor in the England side. He possibly didn't benefit from KP's sacking.

If the younger players found Flower an intimidating presence, as I've read, maybe Flower found it irritating that some players were influenced by Kevin.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:32 pm

Maybe Ben needs to cut out the on pitch confrontations, and pointing to the pavilion on taking a wicket. But as a young player against mature established internationals, it not a bad thing that he should stand his ground. I guess he might be better off going home now anyway. He looks a little overwhelmed.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby meninblue » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:12 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Maybe Ben needs to cut out the on pitch confrontations, and pointing to the pavilion on taking a wicket. But as a young player against mature established internationals, it not a bad thing that he should stand his ground. I guess he might be better off going home now anyway. He looks a little overwhelmed.

There are fines nowadays and if he cannot control his aggression on field then he might get match suspensions like some other players. It is okay to celebrate but to point a bowler to pavilion is not good.Imagine the batsman pointing the bowler to the boundary line on hitting every 4 or a 6. Cricket will become unwatchable sport.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby sussexpob » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:12 pm

I admire Ben Stokes for his intelligence.... had I been playing as abysmally as he had recently, I probably would have done the tried and tested World War I solider technique of damaging by body purposefully to be sent home.

Of course I am sure Giles is very happy.....it gave him an opportunity to pick another Warwickshire player
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby D/L » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:58 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Stokes (as did Joe Root) regarded KP as a bit of a mentor in the England side. He possibly didn't benefit from KP's sacking...

Really? Or was it just PR nonsense when the ECB management were still trying to manage Pietersen, which would have eventually seemed a bit like herding cats. It's difficult to think of anyone playing the game who won't have benefitted from Pietersen's sacking.

It's OK to feel frustration, but to injure oneself in venting it is stupid.
D/L

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:18 pm

Ben Stokes is another cricketer who was picked primarily for his performances in the County Championship but expected to replicate it in white ball cricket.

Too much fuss made about the lockergate incident, anyone who has played cricket at any level will realise it's a psychologically challenging sport and the odd flared temper is half expected. As long as it's not directed at a person or causes criminal damage then it shouldn't be an issue.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby SaintPowelly » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:58 pm

sussexpob wrote:Of course I am sure Giles is very happy.....it gave him an opportunity to pick another Warwickshire player

Perfect opportunity to pick James Vince :no
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:43 pm

sussexpob wrote:I admire Ben Stokes for his intelligence.... had I been playing as abysmally as he had recently, I probably would have done the tried and tested World War I solider technique of damaging by body purposefully to be sent home.

Of course I am sure Giles is very happy.....it gave him an opportunity to pick another Warwickshire player

It's a shame Ben Stokes fist wasn't directed at Ashley Giles for his narrow minded selection policy.

Nowt against Chris Woakes who I rate as a cricketer, but England have far too many bits and pieces all-rounders in the squad. It's obvious even to Stevie Wonder that England are missing a pace bowler who can bowl at the death.
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:10 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:
sussexpob wrote:Of course I am sure Giles is very happy.....it gave him an opportunity to pick another Warwickshire player

Perfect opportunity to pick James Vince :no

I'm thinking Chris Wood, performs on the big stages in 2012 yet the ECB don't want to know :no

Alviro Patterson

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket