Ben Stokes

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Ben Stokes

Postby Gingerfinch » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:14 pm

Possibly be more likely to take wickets during power plays, when the batsmen normally take more risks?
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby meninblue » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:23 pm

Dr Robert wrote:Possibly be more likely to take wickets during power plays, when the batsmen normally take more risks?

Likely yes, but they can leak runs as well when batters are in such mood as the bowler bowls under pressure.We saw that even during test match when Bailey clobbered Jimmy for 28 in one over.He decided to tonk without caring for his wicket.Then the Faulkner innings other night with so high SR without anyone picking his wicket.Then the Corey innings recently.All played with most aggressive hitting one would ever see.So have to give credit to bowlers at least when they take wickets.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby D/L » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:42 pm

Dr Robert wrote:Possibly be more likely to take wickets during power plays, when the batsmen normally take more risks?

It can happen that way, particularly during the five over batting power play. More usually though, whoever's bowling takes no wickets and concedes runs at a faster rate.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:24 pm

The first PP is now the best time to bowl. While the white kookaburra doesn't swing for long, two of them swing for twice as long. Teams don't really hit out in the first ten as per current tactical orthodoxy. Maybe more so in Asia, but everywhere, teams are now trying to keep wickets in hand. There's no bowling PP, so that's not an issue, and even in the batting PP, teams are making sure they don't lose wickets ahead of the final push. The batting PP has proved a good opportunity to take wickets against teams who might have enough wickets in hand to push early.

However, the final ten overs is a very exposing time to bowl, with the new field changes. And to be fair to Stokes, he has been bowling in this time. Attacks are getting shredded in the last ten. And Stokes suffered in this period in Brisbane, as many do generally. However today, he reverse swung the ball and really was hard to get after, though the situation became more desperate for Australia. It seems justifiable to recognise a better performance from Ben in that respect.

The PPs just aren't a big deal anymore.

I'd like to see him bat at four for a while. He's still pretty inexperienced ODI batter, so there's room for improvement. But he seems to have plenty to work with, and can hit well on front and back foot. Not so sure about how well he works the spinners?
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:44 pm

D/L wrote:

It can happen that way, particularly during the five over batting power play. More usually though, whoever's bowling takes no wickets and concedes runs at a faster rate.

except when England are batting, when the reverse is often true
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:49 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
I'd like to see him bat at four for a while.

me too!

I assume that KP will play in the WIndies series, and I'd imagine, if he does, that he will take the no.3 slot.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:10 pm

It looks like the T20 team is going to the WI, so we may even have Wright at three.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby D/L » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:The first PP is now the best time to bowl. While the white kookaburra doesn't swing for long, two of them swing for twice as long. Teams don't really hit out in the first ten as per current tactical orthodoxy. Maybe more so in Asia, but everywhere, teams are now trying to keep wickets in hand. There's no bowling PP, so that's not an issue, and even in the batting PP, teams are making sure they don't lose wickets ahead of the final push. The batting PP has proved a good opportunity to take wickets against teams who might have enough wickets in hand to push early.

However, the final ten overs is a very exposing time to bowl, with the new field changes. And to be fair to Stokes, he has been bowling in this time. Attacks are getting shredded in the last ten. And Stokes suffered in this period in Brisbane, as many do generally. However today, he reverse swung the ball and really was hard to get after, though the situation became more desperate for Australia. It seems justifiable to recognise a better performance from Ben in that respect.

The PPs just aren't a big deal anymore.

I'd like to see him bat at four for a while. He's still pretty inexperienced ODI batter, so there's room for improvement. But he seems to have plenty to work with, and can hit well on front and back foot. Not so sure about how well he works the spinners?

I'd agree that the first half dozen or so overs of the innings is the best time to bowl. In overs 7 to 10, or thereabouts, it's not unusual to see the attack taken to the bowlers, usually not the opening pair. If a couple of wickets don't fall in the batting power play, the bowlers often go for plenty. Stokes bowled at neither of these times and the Aussies were never really in a position to launch a serious attack for most of the time he was bowling towards the end of the match.
D/L

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:00 pm

Got to hand it to Ben Stokes, wanting greater responsibility in the England team.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25894946
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby D/L » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:46 pm

Best to keep him hidden away for the tough overs at the moment, I reckon. His bowling hasn't been all that so far.
D/L

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:48 pm

We don't have any good death bowlers, so it wouldn't be any hardship to give him a chance. If he can get reverse swing like he did yesterday, he has some potential. He was hard to hit. You can't always rely on getting reverse though.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby meninblue » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:35 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:Got to hand it to Ben Stokes, wanting greater responsibility in the England team.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25894946

He is the highest English wicket taker in this ODI series.But obvious that he is relishing greater responsibility with ball for England.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:09 am

After being the second best English cricketer in the Ashes test series, time to have a look at how he has done in this ODI series.

He is the highest England wicket taker with 10 wickets. The best bowler in this series. However, he has not had as much success with the bat, scoring one 70 to contribute a total of 120 runs in 5 innings. Although he has not justified his batting position at No 3, the move at least helped England think tank realize that they can expect a 70 from him in some matches in future. That to me is another takeaway even though his batting promotion tactic has not worked because 20 runs per innings is not justified at all in No 3 spot. But still a good ODI series for him as an allrounder.He imo is England's top two players in this series, the other being Eoin Morgan.
meninblue

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:17 am

He's batted at eight and at three in the series, which are very different challenges. I don't think we can be too critical of his three chances up the order, You can take positives from very few opportunities, but it's too harsh to draw negative conclusions from three innings, one of which was 70.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby D/L » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:34 pm

clubcricketeradi wrote:After being the second best English cricketer in the Ashes test series, time to have a look at how he has done in this ODI series.

He is the highest England wicket taker with 10 wickets. The best bowler in this series. However, he has not had as much success with the bat, scoring one 70 to contribute a total of 120 runs in 5 innings. Although he has not justified his batting position at No 3, the move at least helped England think tank realize that they can expect a 70 from him in some matches in future. That to me is another takeaway even though his batting promotion tactic has not worked because 20 runs per innings is not justified at all in No 3 spot. But still a good ODI series for him as an allrounder.He imo is England's top two players in this series, the other being Eoin Morgan.

Undoubted potential, but we need not to be swayed too much by figures and to remember he will not have been "worked out" yet. and he's definitely had more luck on the credit side than on the debit, particularly with his bowling.

Got out to a very dumb shot today.
D/L

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket