Ben Stokes

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Ben Stokes

Postby sussexpob » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:13 pm

Maybe I misread it or the wording was wrongly reported. I took it meaning he wont go until the case is closed, he must be planning to get the pre-trial out of the way and then will play
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby captaincolly » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:33 pm

sussexpob wrote:Maybe I misread it or the wording was wrongly reported. I took it meaning he wont go until the case is closed, he must be planning to get the pre-trial out of the way and then will play

I think some of the reports quoted him as saying he wouldn't join up with England until after his court date but omitted the bit where he specifically refers to the date being February 13th.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby bigfluffylemon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:40 pm

sussexpob wrote:Hasnt it been confirmed he wont leave the UK till his trial? His pre hearing is next month I believe, if he gets indicted this means he probably wont be going anywhere in 2018. Probably in his interests to plead guilty and get over with it.

According to wikipedia, you can't use a plea bargain in this situation to avoid indictment - even if he pleads guilty on 13th, the Magistrates could still send him to Crown Court for sentencing. If that's the case, jail time sounds like a strong possibility (as Magistrates have sentencing powers of up to six months in jail, presumably they'll escalate to the Crown Court if they think their own sentencing powers are inadequate for the gravity of the offence).

The reports I've read say that his appearance on 13 Feb is the pre-trial hearing, and he's planning to join up with the squad after that. Presumably he must be planning to plead not guilty in that case?
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:17 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:
sussexpob wrote:Hasnt it been confirmed he wont leave the UK till his trial? His pre hearing is next month I believe, if he gets indicted this means he probably wont be going anywhere in 2018. Probably in his interests to plead guilty and get over with it.

According to wikipedia, you can't use a plea bargain in this situation to avoid indictment - even if he pleads guilty on 13th, the Magistrates could still send him to Crown Court for sentencing. If that's the case, jail time sounds like a strong possibility (as Magistrates have sentencing powers of up to six months in jail, presumably they'll escalate to the Crown Court if they think their own sentencing powers are inadequate for the gravity of the offence).

The reports I've read say that his appearance on 13 Feb is the pre-trial hearing, and he's planning to join up with the squad after that. Presumably he must be planning to plead not guilty in that case?

If he pleads guilty and is sent to the crown court, it's for the reason that the magistrate has no power to hand down the appropriate sentence; ie, he is almost certain to get more than 6 months. If the magistrate sends him to crown on a non guilty plea, it means if found guilty it's likely more than 6 months.

No plea bargain is likely, as mentioned before. But a judge can (and often will) hint at whether he will send a case to crown or keep it, and some judges will outline margins of expected punishment.

I meant he plead guilty and accept his punishment rather than miss IPL and NZ, but that was made in light of the fact I didn't know he was just planning to not travel before the pre hearing
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby meninblue » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:13 am

Adi wrote:Ben Stokes will be strongly bidded during this weekends IPL auctions. Think he will get somewhere between 14.5 crore to 18 crore. Think at least 3 teams will bid for him between 13.5 crore to 16 crores and 2 teams between 16 to 18.5 crores.

Updates about his availability for number of matches may change the bidding amount though.

Mumbai and Delhi will exit the bidding as soon as it goes above 13 crores.

Rajasthan Royals get him at 12.5 cr. Under priced imo. Perhaps if it was clear that he would play all matches he may have got higher. If that is factored in then it is excellent valuation for Ben.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby GarlicJam » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:41 am

Adi wrote:
Adi wrote:Ben Stokes will be strongly bidded during this weekends IPL auctions. Think he will get somewhere between 14.5 crore to 18 crore. Think at least 3 teams will bid for him between 13.5 crore to 16 crores and 2 teams between 16 to 18.5 crores.

Updates about his availability for number of matches may change the bidding amount though.

Rajasthan Royals get him at 12.5 cr. Under priced imo. Perhaps if it was clear that he would play all matches he may have got higher. If that is factored in then it is excellent valuation for Ben.

is that 1.25M US$?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby meninblue » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:40 am

GarlicJam wrote:
Adi wrote:

is that 1.25M US$?

1.4 m pounds.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:22 am

They might regret that one if he's in court (or jail) by May...
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby meninblue » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:18 pm

bigfluffylemon wrote:They might regret that one if he's in court (or jail) by May...

https://www.deccanchronicle.com/sports/cricket/220118/indian-premier-league-ipl-2018-players-auction-bangalore-governing-council-ben-stokes.html

Amid uncertainty over England cricketer Ben Stokes' participation in the Indian Premier League (IPL) following the legal proceeding of charges of affray against him, the IPL governing body has assured a replacement for the all-rounder if needed.

However, no replacement would be provided for the former England vice-captain if he misses the league in between.
meninblue

Postby sussexpob » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:54 am

Ben has first court appearance. Journos now saying the guy he sparked had a shattered eye socket, but do say allegedly. That can't be good if true

sussexpob

Postby captaincolly » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:53 pm

First Crown Court date is March 12th but he's not required to attend in person and is flying to New Zealand tomorrow.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby southwood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:44 pm

sussexpob wrote:Ben has first court appearance. Journos now saying the guy he sparked had a shattered eye socket, but do say allegedly. That can't be good if true

That was reported at a very early stage.Ryan Hales was initially reported as being treated for fractures to his face,later clarified as eye socket. If the two victim witnesses( the guys who were alleged to be the target of homophobic abuse) had not come forward then Stokes would probably have been facing a serious assault charge on his own.

It was probably part of the reason why the CPS took so long to make a decision.
southwood

Postby westoelad » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:57 pm

Definition.
affray is a public order offence consisting of the fighting of one or more persons in a public place to the terror (in French: à l'effroi) of ordinary people.
Given the video evidence, none of the 3 accused can hardly deny fighting so presumably their defense must be that others weren't intimidated.
westoelad

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:32 am

Not guilty plea and referred to Crown court. Per sussex's comment above, that implies a high probability of jail time if found guilty.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby westoelad » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:49 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:Not guilty plea and referred to Crown court. Per sussex's comment above, that implies a high probability of jail time if found guilty.

Certainly would be if he'd been charged with ABH or GBH but for some reason he hasn't.
westoelad

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket