Ben Stokes

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Ben Stokes

Postby sussexpob » Thu May 04, 2017 4:53 pm

Making_Splinters wrote: Just for reference, or clarification, I was referring to posters on here who were having a pop at Stokes for a poor over in the IPL.

I suggest to avoid confusion, you refer to me by name in the future.

Im glad hes having fun at "pack of 20 superkings black" or whatever they are called, maybe in the future his new found skills can help win back the world cup he single handedly bowled away....
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby meninblue » Thu May 04, 2017 6:03 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:Good bowling from Stokes today as well.

In about just 10 matches that he has played in this IPL, he has adapted and performed better than what Morgan was doing in lot of IPL editions. Better than Luke Wright. Dimi Mascarenhas. All of them had to be dropped , whereas Ben has ensured his name is written first when his team is selected. I won't be surprised if he ends up with more Man Of Matches than KP as well who was Englands most successful player in IPL. His batting is more impressive than his bowling. All franchisees will be bidding intensely for him in next years major auction.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Making_Splinters » Thu May 04, 2017 6:31 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote: Just for reference, or clarification, I was referring to posters on here who were having a pop at Stokes for a poor over in the IPL.

Im glad hes having fun at "pack of 20 superkings black" or whatever they are called, maybe in the future his new found skills can help win back the world cup he single handedly bowled away....

Odd that as soon as he had a bad game you posted in the IPL thread, now he's playing well, oh it's Micky mouse all of a sudden.

Would it kill you to be, oh a little bit, balanced and say well done to the lad when he plays well?

I suppose it's much like my view on Leeds at the end of the day.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby meninblue » Thu May 04, 2017 6:56 pm

Nice article

Stokes success justifies IPL focus - Morgan
http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-i ... 96067.html
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby sussexpob » Fri May 05, 2017 6:39 am

Making_Splinters wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

Odd that as soon as he had a bad game you posted in the IPL thread, now he's playing well, oh it's Micky mouse all of a sudden.

Not odd at all. You used this thread to comment on the last over remark. I posted a response therefore on the relevant thread. I don't know why it would matter where it goes either way.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat May 06, 2017 8:31 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

Not odd at all. You used this thread to comment on the last over remark. I posted a response therefore on the relevant thread. I don't know why it would matter where it goes either way.

Another top performance from Stokes again today, in case you missed it.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Dr Cricket » Sat May 06, 2017 8:42 pm

Was not a big fan of stokes before, but have to admit he is a top cricketer in the making.
Suspect Sussex needs to start admitting he is quite decent now.
I had Pune finishing in the bottom two and stokes is pretty much on his own making pune finish in the top two in the league stage.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby alfie » Wed May 10, 2017 12:33 pm

I think the least that can be said is that Stokes has justified the (admittedly ridiculous - but so are many others ) price paid for him.
I am an admirer ; but must admit I did wonder initially if he was being a little overvalued. Not any more.

Hope he takes this form home for the Champions Trophy :thumb
alfie

Postby meninblue » Fri May 12, 2017 5:27 pm

What a catch Ben has taken in the match versus Delhi. Very close to the boundary line, full stretched upwards and throws the ball in air on the field and comes back in the ground to catch it. Will be the top 5 catches of this IPL.
meninblue

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri May 12, 2017 5:49 pm

Adi wrote:What a catch Ben has taken in the match versus Delhi. Very close to the boundary line, full stretched upwards and throws the ball in air on the field and comes back in the ground to catch it. Will be the top 5 catches of this IPL.

Just seen a video replay on the t'interwebs, it looked like his foot touched the rope!
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby meninblue » Fri May 12, 2017 5:53 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:
Adi wrote:What a catch Ben has taken in the match versus Delhi. Very close to the boundary line, full stretched upwards and throws the ball in air on the field and comes back in the ground to catch it. Will be the top 5 catches of this IPL.

Just seen a video replay on the t'interwebs, it looked like his foot touched the rope!

It was referred to 3rd umpire, and was ruled as Out after seeing few replays. Looked out to me as well.
meninblue

Postby sussexpob » Fri May 12, 2017 6:02 pm

The telegraph named him in England's best ODI team ever.

Second worst economy rate of all time in the format out of all players and one worthwhile effort with the bat. Just as the cult of personality can't get any worse, someone goes a step further. It's getting quite frankly embarrassing. A bad year with the bat, and another useless year with the ball, he isn't even in the best XI England have now.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Fri May 12, 2017 6:06 pm

Looks a catch to me. Only a crazy man would say Stokes is anything but an absolutely blinding fielder.

sussexpob

Postby m@tt » Fri May 12, 2017 7:17 pm

sussexpob wrote:The telegraph named him in England's best ODI team ever.

Second worst economy rate of all time in the format out of all players and one worthwhile effort with the bat. Just as the cult of personality can't get any worse, someone goes a step further. It's getting quite frankly embarrassing. A bad year with the bat, and another useless year with the ball, he isn't even in the best XI England have now.

It was a bizarre pick, especially considering that their XI already had Botham and Stokes in it, so the extra all-rounder wasn't needed. Rest of the team was decent though.
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat May 13, 2017 12:31 am

Botham shouldn't be in England's best ODI side. Flintoff is a cert, ahead of Botham and Stokes.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket